Low Testosterone levels

glenmoray

I've just been to my diabetic review and was told my testosterone levels were extremely low. I had to have another blood test and those too came back low. My diabetic consultant told me that low testosterone levels and diabetes might be linked as there are studies saying that low testosterone levels might cause diabetes to develop or diabetes might cause testosterone levels to fall. Has anyone else had this problem.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I guess the obvious question is how old are you? My levels have gone down in recent years but I've put that down to my age (68) and the normal tail-off as you age.

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I too was diagnosed with low testosterone levels about 6 months ago. I have been a type 1 for about 12 years and hypothyroidism was also diagnosed at the same time.

My low levels of testosterone are caused by a pituitary adenoma diagnosed from an initial blood test where this showed an elevated level of the hormone prolactin. This was suppressing the testosterone. An MRI scan revealed the tumor.

I currently take Cabergoline to help lower the prolactin levels which hopefully should start to raise my testosterone naturally. Which it has done, albeit a small increase it's showing signs on increasing. It's a long drawn out process and I am hoping not to have to take testosterone replacement therapy for it.

Whether the tumor was the cause of my diabetes and hypothyroidism ...who knows...my endocrinologist does not really know either, but at least you have been able to get somebody to recoqnise your low testosterone levels as it can be extremely difficult to get the medical profession to take you seriously....instead of "it's just your age"....I was 43 when diagnosed and my testosterone was 5.8.

Just getting my initial energy and motivation for everything in life back, has been a great boost. All caused by the low testosterone.

Regards
Rusty

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Good to read that as a male diabetic your testosterone levels were checked. Is this a first for the NHS I wonder? I had mine checked privately whilst living abroad for a while and they came back borderline low. Had them checked (again privately) when back in the UK and results were about the same. As I had other symptoms such as low libido, ED etc it was decided to put me on testosterone gel for a trial period. That was over 6 months ago and I will now continue with it indefinately. Testosterone is up, so is libido and no more ED. My diabetes and cholesterol are mangaed by diet and exercise alone.
Whether low testosterone brings on diabetes or the other way around I dont think they know for sure but the two do seem to be related. I'm also hypothyroid and take levothyroxine and low dose amlodipine for blood pressure.

glenmoray

I'm now just 52 but have had ED and all the other symptoms for about 14 years. I know I've sat on it being too shy to seek medical help. I've got to got to my first appointment at the hospital to check my pituatary gland in May so will ask if I've got any more questions. Thanks for being so helpful.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Smoking, noise and drunks.
Hi
Is it possible for anyone to give me some names of Doctors I can contact to see if I am suitable for Androgel. I'm desperate for some help. My energy levels are at Zero and life is less than good. NHS do not want to know. The trouble is money is tight but I just have to sort it. I'm pretty sure I have low testosterone. My symptoms are text book. I'd appreciate a few email addresses and an Idea of what I'll have to pay to get this treatment .

Best regards
Pete
[email protected]

glenmoray

Try the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. The diabetic centre there has doctors who deal with this problem. I have just found out after many blood test that my testosterone levels are very low too. I've now been sent to a endocrine clinic to check why my levels are so low. They will be checking my pituitary gland functions and doing MRI scans to check for tumours. If all comes back normal I will be put on hormone patches so hopefully get my energy levels back. The telephone number for the hospital is 01213712000. Ask for the Nuffield house diabetic centre and hopefully someone can help you out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App