Who is the pump for

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Who is the pump for

No, not true at all, please question again, there are cost constraints but it's for all sorts of type 1's and in some cases type 2's.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

From what I've read it seems the pump is for those who have difficulty maintaining good BG readings and suffer regular hypo's. As previous poster stated, no age determination but certainly a cost one ! Can't hurt to ask though ;-)

Luckystar96

I got a pump at age 44! I was told the NICE criteria was that if you can't get an hba1c down to 7% without having lots of hypos you may be eligible This was 4 years ago mind you.

linsay

Im getting one next week and i am 35. Been type1 since i was 9. I get really very severe dawn phenomenon thats why im getting it. Im lucky that i dont have many hypos.

Cody

I got the pump 6 months ago and it's not for diabetics who have bad control. I was recommended by my dietician as my lantus basal was working perfectly during the day but making my BG plummet when sleeping. Didn't they do well NO MORE NIGHT TIME HYPO's.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Cody said:
I got the pump 6 months ago and it's not for diabetics who have bad control. I was recommended by my dietician as my lantus basal was working perfectly during the day but making my BG plummet when sleeping. Didn't they do well NO MORE NIGHT TIME HYPO's.
If you're blood glucose is dropping in the night then this is poor control. Not saying it has to be your fault, it's clearly adjusting the meds but it still means you have poor control over your diabetes.
Has the pump cured this ? I'm going to ask for one myself !

Switch2501

In my pct, the criteria for a pump are:

1) if you have a "crippling fear of hypos"
Or
2) consistently have an Hba1c of over 9.5
Or
3) are or thinking about being pregnant.

I was number 2. Despite having been on the ICE course, carb counting etc, the pump seemed like the only way to go. After 3 weeks on the pump my Hba1c was down to 8.4.

I'm type one, 29 and had diabetes 15 years.

Billy J

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi there,
I am just over 60 and have had a pump for nearly 3 months.Would recommend it to every type 1. A total lifechange after insulin injecting for nearly 59 years. Insist with your DSN about getting one.As I said, a total life changing thing and all for the better.
Good luck
Billy J.

lexilox

I got one in Jan I'm type1, had it 22 years HbA1c been around 6.0-6.4 for a long time which sounds great, but with lots of hypers and hypos so constantly up and down and no energy, latest HbA1c 7.8 with no hypos. I expect HbA1c to reduce again as I get used to the pump but so far I'm feeling positive about the pump. You need to be ready for a steep initial learning curve.