How long does it take to get use to the pump when you get on

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all
Hopefully next week I should find out if I'm able to get the pump.
Just wondered how long it takes to get use to using the pump, as my wife is not happy I've entered the ballet for the London marathon hoping I'll have my levels under control and using the pump.

Richard

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Re: How long does it take to get use to the pump when you ge

I have been using the insulin pump since January this year. For me it was a lot easier than the injection pens. I am not sure how long it took me to get used to the pump but I am very comfortable with it now. I think it depends on the person how long it takes to get use to it.
Good luck with the ballet!
If you are determined I am sure you will manage! :)

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I think the London Marathon will be very doable if you get the pump within the next few months, you'll tip toe through it gracefully! Changing the way you manage your insulin is always nerve wracking before you actually do it and it will take a few months to adjust and get the basals and bolus's right. Fifteen months on I'm still learning but was able to go on a very sporty weekend 3 weeks after starting with no low sugared misadventures. Go for it!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It took around a week to get used to having a pump attached, maybe a month to get used to sleeping with it.

As for using the pump it was probably around 3 months before I would say I was entirely happy with BG and pump operation.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thank you all for your support. Hopefully I'll be getting the pump.

Cody

I agree with the above it takes a couple of weeks to get into the swing of it and a couple of months thereafter adjusting basal as to how ur body reacts to carbs and novo rapid. Good luck bug u won't need it. Best thing av done