Looking to lose 20 lbs in 10 weeks

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Viv.

I do do a weekly weigh on a monday evening with some friends, so get the weekly loss.

I do find the daily weigh to be encouraging - the software I use to record my daily weights smooths out the ups and downs.

Because I'm new to this, I may be checking more than I need to - once I understand how to lose weight consistently, I may go to a once a week routine.

Regards,

Mike

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You're doing very well, Mike - whatever works for you!

I'm having a bad time at present - the weather is giving me carb cravings and I'm eating too much bread :( . so no weight loss.

I want to get back to at least my pre-Christmas weight before I go for my next blood tests at the end of March - or the practice nurse will shout at me! A bit of discipline is needed, but it's always difficult to start discipline on a Thursday! :crazy:

We're good friends but she can be very firm! :shock:

Viv 8)

sassywriter43

You are doing very well Mike. I weighed myself this morning, then the scales got hidden again, by hubby. I am now 76.5kg ( just over 12 stone). This got confirmed at the doctors an hour later. I got told that I have a stone left to lose then he will be happy, but I won't. I am aiming for 9 - 10 stone. My BMI now comes in at 27.2. I don't need my HBA1c doing till June as my last results were in the satisfactory range.
He asked about diet - hubby said I had been doing well, then for some reason I have slipped back down to 250 calories again, and 25 grams of carbohydrates. I am in pain though and my muscles will not stop twitching. So my oramorph has been increased to 1.50 mls, my topiramate has been increased to 100mg in the morning to prevent migraines and I have to make sure I now take my anti nausea tablets and also my anti-histamine to stop me reacting to all the medication I am on which is a fair bit. I am not allowed to take any diabetic medication at the moment because of the topiramate which has aided the weight loss at first as it is one of the side effects, but believe me I would rather the side effects of that medication then the crippling migraines I was getting where I was throwing up with the pain every morning and evening.

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I do a quick update on my progress ... I didn't make it in 10 weeks, but I have now lost 20lbs, according to my daily weigh-in - I started at 105kgs at the beggining of the year and am now 95.9kgs - a loss of 20.2 lbs :)

I am chuffed to say the least.

I have no more holes to use on my belt, my trousers are too baggy, and my shirts have quite a bit of room in them :)

My final goal is to get into the green on the BMI chart. For me, at the beginning of the year,that meant losing 5 stone (70lbs). Now there is only 50 lbs to go! (3.6 stone).

It has not been easy, but actually, not really hard.

I have set a new short term goal - get down to 90kgs in 10 weeks.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Very well done, Mike! :clap: :clap: You should be feeling very pleased with yourself. Keep on as you are, but don't be surprised if you slow down a bit. Isn't it nice when all your clothes are too big? :D - if a little expensive :lol: . How are your BGs doing?

I postponed my blood test by a month because of snow - I nearly crashed the car on the way to the surgery and had to be rescued by a farmer with a Landrover! I'm due at the nurse for 09:00 on Monday 29th, so I'm going to be so virtuous this weekend :crazy: It will be interesting to see how the extra carbs have affected my HbA1c - not to mention my cholesterol. I'll bet my triglycerides are up.

When (if!) it gets warmer I shall be more active in the garden and better able to get back on to my Atkins. My aim is to lose another stone by Xmas 2013 - taking me down from 16st 12lb to 15st 12lb, or 222lb. I was 298lb on diagnosis in April 2010; I'm now 238lb.

I'll be well chuffed if I get to a total weight loss of 78lb; 84lb (6 stone) would be even better. I'm not being too ambitious, though - slow and steady seems to be working for me re the diabetes - even with the extra carbs since Christmas my BGs have never been out of the Type 2 target range. My BGs are more important than my weight, now; if this way of eating keeps all my blood tests in the right range, the weight loss is just an added bonus. I've spent 50 years agonising about my weight and it's got me nowhere. Thank you diabetes! :D

Talking about myself again! sorry :oops: . Let us know how you go on, Mike.

Viv 8)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem said:
Isn't it nice when all your clothes are too big? :D

Not when you haven't got a single pair of trousers that stay up anymore. I am literally on belt and braces now. I'm OK for shirts, I kept those, so I have a collection of XL, 2XL, 3XL 4XL and 5XL. I'm down from 5XL to 3XL but have no trousers that fit. My braces hoik up my trousers something shocking so I am walking around with baggy trousers flying at half mast with twangy braces and a belt looking as if I have mugged a scarecrow for its dapper threads.

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
viviennem said:
Very well done, Mike! :clap: :clap: You should be feeling very pleased with yourself. Keep on as you are, but don't be surprised if you slow down a bit. Isn't it nice when all your clothes are too big? :D - if a little expensive :lol: .

Thank you. And yes, I like the baggy feeling of my clothes, its a constant reminder. Pay day today. I'm gonna buy some new trouswers this month. I don't want to spend to much on them as they may not fit for long!

I'm in a small group of friends - we meet once a week to encourage each other and do a weigh in. I'm the heaviest, but I'm catching them :)

I'll be well chuffed if I get to a total weight loss of 78lb; 84lb (6 stone) would be even better. I'm not being too ambitious, though - slow and steady seems to be working for me re the diabetes - even with the extra carbs since Christmas my BGs have never been out of the Type 2 target range. My BGs are more important than my weight, now; if this way of eating keeps all my blood tests in the right range, the weight loss is just an added bonus. I've spent 50 years agonising about my weight and it's got me nowhere. Thank you diabetes! :D

Talking about myself again! sorry :oops: . Let us know how you go on, Mike.

No worries - always good to hear how others are getting on :)

Thanks again,

Mike

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yorksman said:
viviennem said:

Not when you haven't got a single pair of trousers that stay up anymore. I am literally on belt and braces now. I'm OK for shirts, I kept those, so I have a collection of XL, 2XL, 3XL 4XL and 5XL. I'm down from 5XL to 3XL but have no trousers that fit. My braces hoik up my trousers something shocking so I am walking around with baggy trousers flying at half mast with twangy braces and a belt looking as if I have mugged a scarecrow for its dapper threads.

Nice description!

I never got larger than XL - though at Christmas someone did buy me a XXL shirt. That kinda reinforced my decision to lose weight.

Regards,

Mike

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
viviennem said:

Being from yorkshire, I would have though that this was the norm....

:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
Being from yorkshire, I would have though that this was the norm....

:)

Nay nay nay lad. Yorkshire is home of the finest worsteds that Saville Row sell. Even in the late 19th cent. Japanese cloth merchants produced forgeries with 'made in Huddersfield' woven in. When I were a lad, everyone had suits of exceptionally high quality. All the textile mills workers had access to end pieces which they'd sell as suit lengths in pubs. There were hundreds of tailors working from small rooms or from home.

You still see some but most mills have closed and the sellers are on ebay. This London firm of tailors for example:
http://fintex.co.uk/about

This ebay seller who has a large number of lengths is selling some cloth, produced for Fintex, which is made in Huddersfield, for £15 per metre:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-120s-WO ... 460c60269b

And they're not really scarecrows, they're Wickermen for sacrificing unwary suth engli

wickerman.jpg

DaveNN

Being from the proper side of the Pennines ( gods very own version of hadrian's wall) I have been told tales that these yorkshire types had a keen interest in wool.... ;-)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
Being from the proper side of the Pennines ( gods very own version of hadrian's wall) I have been told tales that these yorkshire types had a keen interest in wool.... ;-)

Ahh, you're King Cotton are you? My lot worked for the Platt family in the 1860s/1870s. I went to the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse at Glasson Dock last week, Arbroath Smokies, Smoked Wild Salmon, Smoked Tuna, Smoked Trout. Stank the house out for the rest of week :) But to tell you the truth, my lowest ever readings were during that culinary spell. Easy to see how a man could turn poacher.

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I am an insulin diabetic who suffered a heart attack in December 2011 and had 3 stents fitted. I have been overweight for many years and it was decided that I would benefit from a Gastric Bypass as there are still some issues with one of my arteries which will need further treatment at some stage.

After being referred to London for a Gastric Bypass, my surgery was delayed due to high sugar levels. My HbA1c at the beginning of February this year was 10.8. I knew that the only way I was going get this down was to go on a low carb regime. I have done this in the past and have lost 2-3 stone each time but it always increases again over a period of time.

However as a "means to an end" (getting the surgery needed) I decided to do it again to reduce my levels. I received my HbA1c result back today, and in 11 weeks I have reduced it from 10.8 down to 7.1 and also lost 1 1/4 stone (18 lb) !!

I am so happy with this result which now means my surgery can go ahead and I can look forward to a new beginning !!

Just wanted to share that to show that it can be done ( although its not always easy lol )

Many thanks

Tim

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
DaveNN said:

Ahh, you're King Cotton are you? My lot worked for the Platt family in the 1860s/1870s. I went to the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse at Glasson Dock last week, Arbroath Smokies, Smoked Wild Salmon, Smoked Tuna, Smoked Trout. Stank the house out for the rest of week :) But to tell you the truth, my lowest ever readings were during that culinary spell. Easy to see how a man could turn poacher.

Well, the auld family were mill owners...back in the day.

Glasson is a tad north of me...if memory serves me well there are a few vineyards up there too.....

I've really fallen off the wagon as of late.... Must try harder!....and avoid the cider!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bisto44 said:
However as a "means to an end" (getting the surgery needed) I decided to do it again to reduce my levels. I received my HbA1c result back today, and in 11 weeks I have reduced it from 10.8 down to 7.1 and also lost 1 1/4 stone (18 lb) !!

I am so happy with this result which now means my surgery can go ahead and I can look forward to a new beginning !!

Well done. You need to have a word with DaveNN. He keeps celebrating his weight loss with cider :)

Keep it up. I've lost 25kg since Christmas and my bloods are mostly in the normal range now. Boy do I feel so much better for it. I'm even looking forward to doing the garden and going for walks in the summer. You really do end up feeling like you have got your life back.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
I've really fallen off the wagon as of late.... Must try harder!....and avoid the cider!

Dave, you're not supposed to celebrate the weight loss until after you lost it !

Mrs Yorks is teasing me with a bottle of cider in the fridge. It's there, every time I open the door. But, I take out the zero carb zero cal lemonade and squeeze a whole lemon into it. It's as good a hit as cider. As long as its tarty and very cold and very fizzy. I suppose a shot of vodka would be in order too. Don't really know much about the actual alcohol side of things though. I strongly suspect that some vintage ports that I got at christmas are off limits.

Have a stern word with yourself and put yourself back on track. You know you can do it when you want to.

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bisto44 said:
Hi all

Just wanted to share that to show that it can be done ( although its not always easy lol )

Hey Tim!

That's great - good to hear :)

Well done - keep it up.

Mike

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yorksman said:
Keep it up. I've lost 25kg since Christmas and my bloods are mostly in the normal range now. Boy do I feel so much better for it. I'm even looking forward to doing the garden and going for walks in the summer. You really do end up feeling like you have got your life back.

25kg since Christmas - that's quite an accomplishment. What have you been doing differently?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MikeVincent said:
What have you been doing differently?

I started by cutting out all sugary stuff, sweets, biscuits, chocolate bars, sugary drinks etc. I then cut out all white starches, white bread, white rice etc and started eating brown rice, wholegrain pasta etc. I also started cutting down on fat intake, so trimmining it off meat and bacon and finally started exercising. Took me three months to build up to 3 x 10 mins per day, which is what I do now.

I also prepare just about all my own food using little from tins or packets. I've had to learn to cook from raw ingredients. At the moment I'm wanting to get started on Ching-He Huang's healthy chinese eating, a series on the BBC. In the first of her programmes she showed what was in a typical chinese takeaway, about the same amount of fat as in 30 beefburgers. No wonder you put on weight eating that stuff. Her first programme is online and I must have a go at some of these recipes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cjxzp

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that - I must put a series record on to the healthy chinese eating programme.

I've gone the fresh food route, too - I have opened one tin this year (except for the little tins of mackerel in tomato sauce) and have eaten no microwave meals or prepared meals.

When I shop, I don't buy rice, potato, pasta or bread, unless I am entertaining, so don't include any of that in my meals, though I do seem to get carb cravings from time to time.

Reading up on the Paleo diet suggests that grain products are really not good for you, which is why I've cut the pasta and bread. The wholemeal type doesn't seem to have the benefit that is suggested. And, I think I read it somewhere here, the wholemeal flour quantity may be very small in those products.

Well done with your loss. Keep posting your results and methods, please.

Mike