We need to bombard DUK

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Iwwrote a while ago that I'd told DUK that I will contribute something to research on hypos if they proise to look at low carb diets. that led to a short correspondance, ending with this latest from them.
>>
Dear Hana,

Thank you for your reply. I apologise for failing to address this query in my previous email.

Our nutritional recommendations will be reviewed next year, this will include input from dieticians and the Professional Advisory Council. As part of this we will look at low carbohydrate diets, including the pros and cons and whether there is a place for them for people with diabetes.

Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance. You can also call our Careline on 0845 120 2960*, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. The lines are staffed by trained Careline counsellors who would be happy to offer what support and information they can.

With Best Wishes
Diabetes UK Careline
Ref:06

goslow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hanadr,

Looking in the DUK booklet 'Eating well with diabetes' they do refer to a low carbohydrate diet in the Q/A area with the following comments.
' Low carbohydrate diets are very restrictive so you miss out on fruit and veg and starchy foods like bread and pasta, while filling up on fat and protein. Eating a high fat and high protein diet is not good for long-term health......Until studies prove the long-term safety and effectiveness of these diets, DUK does not recommend them'

I think progress for DUK will be a recommendation for a slight reduction in carbs, I very much doubt if they will go against NHS guidlines but we can but hope.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The point that needs to be made there is that you are not missing out on veg.Fruit maybe is you can't tolerate it.I'm not missing the starch and i don't eat a huge amount of fat either.

ally5555

hana - I have tried to speak to the dietitians from DUk and they havent got back to me! i am really annoyed with their meal plans - I put my own details in and i could have in one day cereal bars, cake!. biscuits and ice cream Alot of dietitian friends have also expressed concern about them . DUk do alot of good stuff - i am not giving up because ithink I now have a contact no for one of them!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
All I get from DUK is - if it works for you, do it ... but we recommend the diet plate with 1/3 carbs.

I phoned to complain about DUK being the silent assassin - cereal killer :twisted:

Careline can't help - she has the party line to follow :evil:

Trinkwasser

goslow said:
I think progress for DUK will be a recommendation for a slight reduction in carbs, I very much doubt if they will go against NHS guidlines but we can but hope.

Also I doubt very much they would be interested in any input from actual diabetics.

MelanieL

It is a scandal that the DUK, NHS etc, actively promote only one type of diet that simply does not work for many, many diabetics. It is illogical when the evidence indicates that lowering the intake of carbs is a more successful strategy for many diabetics. I don't understand why they aren't comfortable to admit that there are other diet plans that allow people to achieve healthy BG numbers. Ultimately, that's what it's about - achieving and maintaining sugar levels that will prevent the horrific complications that too many diabetics suffer from.

I think the dogmatic 'eat plenty of carbohydrates' irrespective of how it affects BG is putting the cart before the horse. We need to be lobbying DUK and HCP's to encourage diabetics to concentrate on their individual relationship between food and the effect it has on their BG control and the long-term implications for the progression of the disease.

Trinkwasser

MelanieL said:
I think the dogmatic 'eat plenty of carbohydrates' irrespective of how it affects BG is putting the cart before the horse. We need to be lobbying DUK and HCP's to encourage diabetics to concentrate on their individual relationship between food and the effect it has on their BG control and the long-term implications for the progression of the disease.

You'll have to do a metric shedload of lobbying to overcome what these guys do

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved ... edgements/

http://www.diabetes.org/support-the-cau ... porter.jsp

The good news is that the ADA are gradually sneaking their carb requirements in a downwards direction, so I'm optimistic than in only ten years DUK will follow suit.

Sorry, is my cynycism showing again?

lilibet

Trinkwasser

When I told the head DSN at my clinic that the ADA had agreed low carb as a suitable weight loss plan (albeit with the qualification that it should be short term) plus the fact they had lowered their daily carb 'recommendation', and I told them their (Food Advisor?) page has an interactive food plate thingy that corrects you if you put more than a quarter of the plate with carbs ( as opposed to current NHS 1/3 plate recommendations), I was told - wait for it - that the ADA/Americans can be a 'bit extreme'.

I think I managed to mumble something about the size of America/size of problem with diabetes in America as maybe making their point of view reasonably valid whilst trying to stifle laughter at the absolute ridiculous nature of the comment. Told me all I needed to know though, along with the comments that my figures were as 'good as they see' in the clinic. (Think am doing ok on premix for a 6-weeker at that point but by no means the diabetic superstar I INTEND to be)

L

Trinkwasser

Scary!

The ADA actually have a pretty decent forum (very busy) absolutely full of success stories. Strangely almost none ofthem follow their dietary recommendations.

I guess it must be a bit extreme to want to keep your feet and not have a heart attack, eh?

Just agree with what they say and go on doing what works.

SilverAndEbony

I have just read my Jan/Feb copy of Balance magazine. It includes a feature on carb counting. Apparently it's the 2nd of 2 - I must have missed the first one. I don't carb count so I have no idea if it's a good piece. I'll leave those who do carb count to comment on it.

But you can't say Diabetes UK aren't talking about carbs any more.
:)