Votes: 136 58.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 77 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkestsAngel

I always mention that I have diabetes, it helps stop accidents....like people giving me normal carbonated drinks when I have asked for the diet version.

Billy J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I always tell people I am involved with that I am a type 1 diabetic. If they are only casual types then no, because they normally would only be in my my company for a very short time, and giving them little info. could be dangerous.
Billy K.
Type 1 for 59 years. On pump for nearly 3 months.BRILLIANT

zerospam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At a second job interview definately, but always cautious of discrimination .

1dudleyw

I tell everybody, I'm not ashamed of it, I'm not asking for sympathy, I am trying to educate people that properly managed it is not a problem AND if I do go Hyper or Hypo at least people will know what's going on. I might add that I am a volunteer Health Trainer Champion and as such health education is my role

Kelly53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Iwas diagnosed on December 18th with type 2 (6.5) I have since lost 8.5 k to help with my condition.
I am lucky my wife supports me 100% and hopefully I will maintain a good blood sugar level from now on.

Cheers Kelvin :wave:

Hopeful Alfie

If the subject comes up or if a food decision is discussed, I don't mind talking about it. That might make more people aware of and less frightened about diabetes.

qbix

I was diagnosed on 4th January this year (which was a Friday). I then went into work the following Monday and told everyone. Most people were pretty shocked, but I thought it was for the best as it means that I don't have to surreptitiously sneak off to the toilets before lunch to take my insulin or to do my blood sugar. Most people at work have been fine about it and have asked me bits and pieces. The person who seemed to take it the worst was my sister, who is an MD. I think if I were to change jobs I wouldn't necessarily go mentioning it from the beginning, but those who work around me would get to know pretty quickly, as I always have my monitor and insulin lying about on my desk. I don't necessarily feel ashamed of it, but I do sometimes feel less of a person for having diabetes, but I think that is because I am only just 4 months in and am still adjusting to the fact this is for life and not just for Christmas.

steve mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No way I don,t want to be a victim of it and some folk treat you like a victim of it, so I keep it to myself. :wave:

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
No - I have had type 1 for 30 years diagnosed as a young child and had my whole school knowing me as "the diabetic" rather than "tigger". I resolved after that to try and avoid this label if possible.

I have good control, do not need outside assistance and make sure that I am in a position to not require this e.g. extra snacks if I'm at something with set meals. On a day to day basis it is my business and I like to take my time to know people before I am prepared to confide in them. If I go on conferences I will request facilities such as fridge in room if not sure there will be one to keep my insulin in. As far as I'm concerned if there is nothing practical that is required then this is my private business and should be shared in the same way and to the same group of people you share any other concerns with - medical professionals who need to know and those you trust - not every tom, **** and harry who knows all about it because his grandma has type 2......

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
tigger said:
No - I have had type 1 for 30 years diagnosed as a young child and had my whole school knowing me as "the diabetic" rather than "tigger". I resolved after that to try and avoid this label if possible.

Tigger the Diabetic sounds like the sort of name you get in heroic legend, like Harald Bluetooth or Thorsteen Staffstruck, Eirik Forkbeard, Rolf the Ganger, Olaf the Saint or Magnus the Good.

renee

Most people know ! having it for 12 years . plus must have had it without knowing before that. till I had a funny turn one day. It runs in both sides of my family. I don't worry about it. And always take afew wine gums out with me. just in case. I'm 86 yrs old. :clap: So I'm lucky I'm here. I never had a sweet tooth so that doesn't bother me. I was in hospital and it was nurses last check up. And She said don't move ran up the ward and came back, with two thick rounds of toast full of butter and jam. Stood there and made me eat it. :sick: I hate butter with anything . Even as a child I never had a taste for it. She said if I had gone to sleep I would not have woke up in the morning. Just shows sometimes you don't notice a Coma . Nice Nursey! :clap:

bigbenn

Yes - it is a convenient excuse to avoid drinking alcoholic drinks, when I am offered them, although I have been a teetotaler all of my life - I'm 66 now.

I have never smoked either. My thinking has been that since I am an Organ Donor, if I die prematurely, i would not want to pass on to the next person, or person's, my organs, which were abused and corrupted by my excesses, in my life.........

I abused myself and my body by eating far too much, not the best diets and lack of exercise and that is basically why I got diabetes, so for me the cure was relatively easy, by changing my diet and cutting down massively in my food intake combined with more exercise, I have been diabetes free these past 4 or 5 years.

Time seems to flash by, the older I get!!!
BigBenn

NatsHunter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I only tell people of it comes up in conversation. I wouldn't normally say unless I was going to be spending any length of time with someone. Xcx

I tell all my colleagues. And I have no intention of hiding it. I do injections and blood tests openly and reply to offers of cakes and sweets (happens frequently as part of hospitality in my work and normally might be rude to refuse) that I can't eat that stuff and explain why. Seems like a really important thing to do and I think that being open and direct with people will make them aware of what's happening if things start to go funny.

Having said that, I don't just tell people. Same as I would expect anyone to tell me that they have asthma, epilepsy, allergies or ingrown toenails until I get to know them better.

Context is everything...

kingo46

I tell all my colleagues and anyone else on the training, I'm a staff trainer, and I bring it up on the Equality training,

pokertom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Salad cream, yuk yuk yuk. microwave ovens, they remove the art of cooking. Not being in control of my actions or errors Rather a perfectionist i'm afraid I like things right
I was diagnosed type 2 and still very confused. How did I get to be diabetic AT 64. My work was very physical (heavy vehicle mechanic) out all weather, all hours and did on average 65/70 hrs a week :roll: . I had 2 heart attacks (hereditary) yet my cholesterol was 2.8 . I was and still slim with a weight of just under 11 stone at 5'11. I have never eaten eaten sweets,chocolate or cakes always only 1 sugar in my bev .I smoked till my heart attacks , enjoyed a few beers :thumbup: (bitter) after a good days work but never overdid it due to my job status. No one else has diabetes in the family to my knowledge . The heart problem I am coping very well with my meds. but i'm not worried to excess. How on earth did I get diabetes, now this is a worry :( as surely i'm not a candidate for diabetes. Liking the Diabetes uk site, didn't realise there are so many with it .Sorry to harp on but it may help :lol: I tell because its a shock to me

Chrispp

No, only my own immediate family know I have diabetes. My brothers, aunts, uncles, friends / colleagues do not know.
I've had this debate here before. Tell people you have diabetes & you can become a constant subject of discussion re food / drink & what you can & can't do.
You are also likely to be overlooked for promotion at work or have work restricted. Forget what the laws says! In many work places you career progression will hit the buffers! It'll be fine in a quiet underhand way, but you'll lose out.
I made the mistake of letting slip to one client 2 years ago that I had diabetes and lost all their work. They were no longer prepared to have me on their premises climbing ladders and working at height. They didn't want to know, thery just wanted to rule me out of ever being a H&S issue.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App