Hello fellow Diabetics I love my insulin pump!!

Hello everyone,
I have just joined today after 16 years of type one diabetes.
I have always been on injections as any childhood type 1 would be. Totaly love the continuous comments of 'urgh how do you to that' 'can I catch it off you' 'your mum most of fed you loads of sweets as a child' blah blah blah.
I am a mother of two beauitful children.
Life is preety much non stop with me and my partner working and the children.
I had lost touch with my diabetes and just got by doing the bare minimum. I needed to change.
I rang my nurse and she suggested trying carb counting. She told me about a course starting teaching you how to carb count and learning your ratio of insulin to grams of carbs ect.
I found this worked so well for me. My nurse then mentioned about the insulin pump how its perfect for diabetics with a hetic life.
Anyway I have now been on the pump for a week and love it.
I have never had better controlled diabetes and feel 100% better for it.
I had my kidney screening results back and they are perfect :).
Now I have two beauitful children who I need to control my diabetes for to aviod complications. Thanks to them I am taking care of myself meaning I can live a long happy life enjoying watching my children grow up.
Thanks to the insulin pump my diabetes fits round me and I would never go back!. An added bonus you can even decorate your pump with stickers of your choice.
I would recommend an insulin pump to anyone who is thinking about getting one!.
Its changed my life loads in just one week :).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SewK8

Hello

What a great, positive post! thank you!

I am being assessed for a pump in September (the nhs sure don't rush these things!) and I am desperate to get on it.

be good to see how you progress with it, as I am hoping it will really help me.

Kat

Denise02

I'm getting an app through in 2 wks 2 c the nurse and diatician for a pump as I asked about it 2 day as I had an app at the diabetic clinic 2 day can't wait and hope I get it [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Jokeeble1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would love one, but my consultant says to me I need to do a carb counting course first and if that doesn't work they shall think about putting me on the list for one :-(

I would really recommend doing the carbohydrates course first.
I had no idea about the carb counting and thought it would be alot harder than it is.
I found that I was taking less insulin than before carb counting which helps when you are trying to loose weight like I am at the moment (my last baby was 10.5lbs at 37 weeks good old diabetic baby haha).

I cannot complain about the time it has taken for me to trail the pump and get mine ordered. I think I just fell lucky with timing. I would say it is definitely worth the wait, for me it was anyway.
Straight away it made a difference to me and I stopped feeling so tired.
My two year old daughter is even intrested in it she watchs me change the site every three days.
Even my partner has noticed a difference in my mood no doubt its because my blood sugars have stopped swinging about.

I walked in the livingroom the other day and my daughter was stood clipping hair clips to her top. I asked her what she was doing her reply was "oh just doing my insulin pump like mummy" haha so it has become part of the family already.

If people are worried about the size I would not after a day I was totally unaware of it. I even went out saturday night for my friends birthday wearing a really fitted dress. I put my pump on my bra and you could not notice it at all.

I am totally suprised by the difference it has made already.
I am really looking forward to getting my HB1c done in a few months to see how much of a difference it has made :).

I have even uploaded a photo of my new best friend haha :).

Looking forward to reading other peoples experience of an insulin pump.

Hannah x

Attachments

• 1368035931926.jpg
    1368035931926.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 579

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you foe making me feel that I have made the right decision on going with the pump in September. I have been type 1 diagnosed for a year and don't mind the injections and have a recent H1abc of 58 so not terrible control but have been offered the pump and have said yes. Am a Mum of a lively and beautiful 2 year old girl and would like to try for baby 2 next year so my DSN said she thought the pump would make pregnancy easier and keep control tighter.

Well done and keep me updated on how its going with the pump!!!!! :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Congratulations, it sounds like a great union :thumbup: Long may it continue for you.

Best wishes RRB

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds awesome! Ive been fighting on and off for years to get a pump, Now going on DAFNE in 21 days and cannot wait! seeing it as the first step :D

Goodluck! and well done also :)