Type 1 and want to lose some weight and tone up!

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a dilemma and was wondering if anyone could help or share their experiences? I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for 7 months and I have notices recently I have started I pt on weight due to too many hypos and low blood sugars before bed time leading to a bed time snack which I don't want! I currently weigh 9 1/2 stone but would like to lose some weight to be back to where I was and feel better about myself :) just fed up of having to eat all the time (especially before bed!). I need to stop this but blood sugar levels won't allow this. I keep very active, more so recently, and run/cycle/walk everyday. Has anyone been in a similar situation and how have you changed your routine? Thanks!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Re: Type 1 and want to lose some weight and tone up!

If I was you I would try lowering your tea time insulin maybe and see if this helps with the hypos?. If you have not been diabetic for long ask your nurse before changing anything.
Do you carb count?. If not I done a carbohydrate counting course and found I was taking less insulin and having less hypos. Also the more insulin you are on the bigger your appetite is.
I would also look at what you take for your hypos. I know when I am low I eat everything in site but have now stopped that and started taking lucozade or another high sugar drink.
Look at your exercise routine and monitor your blood sugars more and work out when you hypo. If you notice a pattern talk to your nurse and look at lowering your insulin when exercising to aviod a hypo.
Hope that has helped
Hannah.

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thanks! :) yeah when I am low I try to stick to glucose tablets but I like the idea of luckozade, I might go and stock up.
I reduced my tea time insulin all the way down to 2 units tonight for a bowl of spaghetti bolognese and this still left me dropping sugar levels from before dinner! It's crazy! I'm currently waiting for my nurse to get back to me on the big dilemma. I'm wondering if its the case because I exercise before dinner, the effect of the exercise continues for a few hours in my glucagon stores and still has an effect later in the evening? It's all very confusing isn't it.
Thank you for your advice, I have a feeling I might have sore fingers soon from all the testing! X

What time do you take your long lasting insulin?. Maybe it could be that you are on to much long lasting.
I know after a long shift at work a few hours later I will hypo. I am now on the insulin pump because my hypos were really bad I would not feel low until I was 1.8mmols.
Dont get the light lucozade I am sure you already know that but it has next to no sugar in meaning no good during a hypo.
Well good luck I hope your nurse contacts you soon and you can get it sorted :).
Nothing worse then trying to loose weight and having a hypo spoiling all your hard work!.
Hannah x

Type of diabetes
Type 2

If you are going to try Lucozade- which is what I use along with milk for most of my hypos, I carry a bottle of Lucozade energy in my handbag- do not go for Lucozade sport.

It takes far too long to work and you need to drink three times as much.
The one you need is Lucozade Energy
Jane

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I take my long lasting at about 9 in the evening - my nurse has advised me to reduce that down by 1 unit to try and start the day off a bit higher.
Oh wow, 1.8 is pretty scary if that was only when you start to feel it. Are you much better on the pump now then?
My nurse contacted me today; she's taken me off insulin for breakfast, low dosage for lunch and suggested dinner be 0-2 units. Tonight I tried one unit for sausages, mash and beans and two hours later my bs had gone from being 8 before dinner to 5! So maybe I should just not have taken any. My nurse thinks I'm having a severe delayed honeymoon period!
And thank you Jane, I will make sure I get the right one :)