Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
Hello,

i have started going to the gym after work but need to work out when and what to ear before hand.
i eat low carb but this isnt practical before i go and do some exercise.

i need to eat before i leave work so will need to be something that i can just keep in the fridge here and grab when needed.

id assume bananas would be pretty stable, but any advice is appreciated.

thanks,

Mileana

I use green ish bananas for exercise - some parts yellow, some parts green, peel still hard, no brown spots.

Those have a kind of starch that isn't too readily available to the body, so it gives both a delay, a slight peak and is sort of filling.

I tend to keep almonds (low ish carb in small amounts) and raisins (high carb, quick energy) on hand - I buy some nut and raisin/cranberry mixes and just keep them in my bag, in a plastic bag they'll last forever.

After exercise, I will generally need to have a bit of something. I normally have a fried chicken meatball or something like that - I do weights, so I want a protein kick along with a tiny bit of carb, and the salt seems good for me at the time. I imagine bringing one from the freezer, put it in fridge, then it should be thawed by x amount of hours later. If I need to pop into a shop on the way from gym, any sort of precooked chicken, ham, etc would do the trick, too. Makes me have dinner on hand too if I chuck the rest into a stir-fry, omelette or salad.

-M

xorsyst

I find a "lite" sports nutrition drink - such as lucozade lite, during the routine, keeps my sugars pretty stable. A 500ml bottle has about 10g of glucose in it.

Elc1112

I tend to have some fruit (usually a banana) or a Lucozade lite before I exercise. I usually find I need some carbs afterwards to keep my sugars up. I low carb but try and have most of my carbs in the evening, after a wOrkout.

I always carry Lucozade with me while I am at the gym, in case my sugars drop.

Hope this helps :)

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am starting gym this week and was looking at the protien bars, I found a very low carb one which is ideal. I seem to be ok with it with th sugar alcohols.

I found it in NutriCentre. Not sure if H & B do them.

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
thanks for all the advise and suggestions.
will try a banana tonight and im looking forward to it :lol: low carbing makes the simplest of things a pleasure lol.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For more background information about exercise with type 1 diabetes - it's not just what you eat before exercising, but also choosing time of day, time since last insulin injection, perhaps reducing short acting before and soon after, perhaps reducing long acting in the longer term etc - see http://www.runsweet.com/StartingSports.html and http://www.runsweet.com/Gym.html for starters, but the rest of the Runsweet website is worth browsing - it might suggest a sport you'd enjoy more than gym (reluctantly in your profile)?

Djashe2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
uneducated and ignorant people with views on diabtes
Im a type one and generally try to exercise on a high and reduce the sugars during exercise. Sometimes requiring a little food about an hour or two after. Struggle to control sugars if im running for longer than 40mins.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App