For the ladies - high BS before periods

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - just wandered how many others suffer with high BS's before their period and how long for beforehand?
My blood sugars start to rise anything between 7-10 days before my period starts. Im on a pump and today I have needed to increase my basal rate to 120% in the morning and then 140% in the afternoon as they had climbed to 12 after tea time. The trouble is I cant just leave the rates on because the additional insulin in required at random times throughout the day/night. They are just so high and erratic - very very frustrating!!

jopar

I don't get problem during the main cycle, but as soon as the period starts my BG drops very quickly for the first day, then on day 3 I can get a lot of resistance... But on some months I can get the opposite effect, I've tried working it out, but I've given up and just react with my pump as best I can when it happens..

Nessinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wasps
Flies
I'm so glad someone else suffers with this too! I thought I was going mad! My blood sugar drops dramatically when my period starts, then is normal for about a week, then starts to get higher and higher, so much so I am injecting regularly throughout the day to bring it down, to little effect. This has seriously affected my HbA1c.... I just don't know what to do :?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I'm the same as you jopar - i've given up and just try to work with it on the day.

I think I generally go up the day/night before, stay high for the first day of my period and then my sugars sort of even out and go back to normal after the second day. The things we have to go through ey!!

Elc1112

The first day or two my periods are very like my mood - erratic and unpredictable. No idea why. Possibly because I always eat more around the time of month!

Isobel94

Yeah my Lantus (background insulin) usually is enough one day and my sugars will be perfect, but then suddenly I might need more without realising it and then wake up at say 11 or 12 :( Then it affects me for the whole day.

I tend to put it down to the fact that I'm eighteen and possibly still settling down hormonally. But it's so frustrating, because it seems to vary from month to month so therefore I'm a little lost. It usually starts getting high from day 11 to day 14, and then settles down again until the week before my period. I won't lie, it's a right pain in the face. Do I have be psychic to understand these patterns? o_O I wonder...

lexilox

It's a pain for me too, I'm on a pump. I get lots of high spikes the 7-10 days before then hypos for the first couple of days but unpredictable so hard to deal with apparent from just correcting as I go and short TBR increases and decreases. You are not alone!

imalittlefishy

Mine tends to be high in the days leading up to it...then plummets once my period starts. Like the rest of you, unpredictable and just have to deal with it as it comes! xx

the_only_abi

I was always told by my nurses/Dr's to watch out for this (been diagnosed 13 years, on a pump for 5.5) but I always wondered what they were on about as I never had any problems that I can remember (went on the pill at 13 so I think any issues then were just puberty), but since I came off the pill 15 months ago I get high bloods upto 7 days before I start then when I do they drop back to normal within hours, very strange. But there's no pattern to it so can't just increase my pump basal as some readings might be normal.