sugar free biscuits

Radioman

Has anybody else seen the gullon sugar free biscuits, have you tried them, and what do you think of them?
I have tried some and I like them.
They seem to be available through various sites, the main one begin Amazon.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
but what about the carbs in the flour? or are they not made with anything high in carbs?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the carb content of the biscuits and do they contain sweeteners
CAROL

g0mrl

I think so called diabetic biscuits are always awful, not worth considering. Peobably made of lo-carb cardboard. Folk give me them for Christmas - I wish they wouldn't waste their money.

maxgarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Radioman
I have just noticed your post about Gullon biscuits. I have tried various types in their amazing range, all of them being sugar free, low carb. They are readily available in supermarkets in Spain (where they are made) and Portugal. Unfortunately they are unavailable in UK supermarkets (I emailed their sales department) and also spoke to Asda who do not plan to stock them. If their figures stated on the box are correct they are ideal, and even taste good. Perhaps if enough people are interested the manufacturer may supply. Their range includes digestives, fibre and I think wafer biscuits.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Adam63

I understand that they contain sugar alcohols, such as maltilol. Maltitol syrup has a glycemic index of 52, whereas sugar is 60 -
so it probably has much the same effect on blood glucose levels. Maltitol is metabolised in your body to glucose and sorbitol, thus
it is just an alternative way of taking glucose.
I suspect these biscuit products are not really appropriate for diabetics.

Why not make your own biscuits using Truvia as the sweetener? They may not hold together and be as firm as biscuits made with sugars or sugar alcohols, but you can be assured they are low in quick release sugars.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am always a bit dubious about sugar-free biscuits etc. You know there's a chemical hiding in there somewhere that's as bad in its own way as sugar. I don't go in for biccies much but when I am tempted I'd rather a "real" biscuit and adjust insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

plp

Thundercat said:
Am always a bit dubious about sugar-free biscuits etc. You know there's a chemical hiding in there somewhere that's as bad in its own way as sugar. I don't go in for biccies much but when I am tempted I'd rather a "real" biscuit and adjust insulin

I agree Thundercat but, unfortunately not all of us are on insulin. Type 2's must find it more difficult.

maryc117

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anybody else seen the gullon sugar free biscuits, have you tried them, and what do you think of them?
I have tried some and I like them.
They seem to be available through various sites, the main one begin Amazon.
Ok so I'm 12 months late seeing this thread! Just back from holiday where I was so happy to see such a variety of sugar free biscuits in the supermarkets, even the very small ones. I too tried several types and thought they were lovely especially the digestives. Googled Gullon and your thread came up. I brought some back and will be going onto Amazon to buy some.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have bought them in morrisons they taste like the real thing !
Right... but what do they do to your blood sugar? There's no free lunch out there. Unless they are made of nut flour, they are going to turn into carbs inside you. Carbs is carbs.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Right... but what do they do to your blood sugar? There's no free lunch out there. Unless they are made of nut flour, they are going to turn into carbs inside you. Carbs is carbs.

Nutritional Data
Typical valuesper 100gper biscuit (6.0g)
Energy412kcal25kcal
Energy1730kj104kj
Protein7.9g0.5g
Carbohydrate75.6g 4.5g
of which sugars<0.5g<0.5g
of which sugar alcohols18.7g1.1g
of which starch56.6g3.2g
Fat11.5g0.7g
of which saturates1.2g0.1g
of which mono-unsaturates9.0g0.5g
of which polyunsaturates1.4g0.1g
Cholesterol<5mg<0.3mg
Fibre2.0g0.1g
Sodium0.38g0.02g

Suck it and see?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So they are basically just another "sugar free" scam. Might have a slightly lower GI, might not, but definitely full o' carbs.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Things ending in -ol that are used in "sugar free" products but which quite quickly digest into sugars. And cause constipation to boot.