Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

skhwoody

Re: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pum

I cannot bear the idea of a pump, i was only diagnosed about 18 mths ago aged 39 yrs old. and being needle phobic initially was a problem, but i can put up with it now as i know the alternative. But having a pump attached while at work is not for me

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My brother fought for years & finally got an Omnipod. He's had very poor control & was born diabetic. I've been type 1 from 14. He is so much better now & has recommended I should also ask for the same pod. Seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery with pods. I might have to get referred to his hospital 50 miles away as Newcastle do not o the omnipods. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nicola738

I have only recently been diagnosed however having been given mounds of leaflets and books to read, I think injections are best for me. However as I come to terms with the diagnosis and adjust to my new routine it may be that a pump is something I would consider as an option in the future

chromeazone

I have been on a pump for over 4 years and still hate it.
It constantly reminds me that I am diabetic.
My diabetes has become very brittle and hypo awareness has lessened over the years; stress being a major problem everyday.
I'm now on a medtronic blood sensor that feeds reading to the pump every few minutes.
But I still hate it.
My control was easier and finer under the simple 'pen' regime. I have always been strict about charbo counting and this seems to have not made much difference in later years. No major signs of any complications. I don't realy understand why so many people want to be on a pump unless I'm just unlucky that the pump is not refining my treatment. If I had a choice I would love to come off the pump. Though having the blood sensor does settle my nerves as far as hypo warnings figure in my life.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am very reluctant to try a pump. Have been injecting for 27 years ( first year one injection a day. Since then 4 a day. Maybe its just that I've gotten used to it (eventually). I also hate the thought of having it attached to me all the time - like a life support machine. After years of raging against diabetes I have finally made some sort of peace with it but don't like the idea of being reminded at every moment of the day

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 30 years, and have been on a pump for the past 10 months.

I much prefer to be on the pump as opposed to injections because I get tighter control on the pump there are more variables with pump therapy which gives me the option of making many changes to my basel and bolus insulin regimes which was not an option when I was injecting Lantus and Novorapid, though I am currently pumping Apidra.

I love the way the pump shows me how much active insulin I have in my body and the time of my last bolus, the daily totals (total amount of units of insulin used per day) as well as the duel and square wave boluses.

I change my cannulae every 3 days, and this is a totally painless procedure. I have never experienced any problems with my sets or cannulas and I can knock the cannula with my hand or nudge it against furniture and I don't feel it! I just forget it is there, the pump sits in a camera case on my belt and I am not aware of it unless I catch the tubing on something and let me tell you guys that is not a good feeling!! :lol: but overall pump therapy has been good for me. :D

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Our DN asked if we wanted to look into a pump for my daughter but she is very phobic about having something attached to her body.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

alexax

On the whole MDI works well for me. Waiting for the results of the NIHR funded REPOSE trial to see if evidence shows any real benefit to having a pump for people like me, but I believe strongly that we should all be given the education and information we deserve. I wish I'd been offered DAFNE long before I was, it changed my life.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

injections :

melsavage

I know pumps have changed, but I haven't rid myself of the horror of seeing one in action 25 years ago - scared the living day lights out of an 8 year old! I'll stick to injections for now...

deanna990

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'm thinking about going on the insulin pump, around June 2012 my blood sugars was always high and I lost a lot of weight and I had go hospital four times for it. Recently its got better, around the time it was 30kg or less and now its a great 45kg but I am still worried about my blood sugars. So yeah, my answer is the pump. :)

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I changed to a pump last year. There are benifits of both, but I would say the main reason I prefer pump is because when it's working out your dosage it takes into account previous dosages, and when you have the bs metor, you don't have to do injections in public - not only because it can be embarrasing, but I used to forget, but having the pump means I'm always having insulin with meals which is much better.

I think it's awful that not everyone with t1 can have a pump, they make such a difference to everyday life, and I think they should be a necessity to anyone who needs them.

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)

I am on same syringes and insulin as 21 years ago... I have seen a diabetic nurse at hospital and she insisted i was "old school" and went on to a pen...I tried for a week but hated it and because i worked shifts (up early) i was having to have 5 injections a day....Too restricting for me so i went back to syringes (HB1AC 6.7) 2 x injections a day
The same hospital nurse discussed me with a diabetic work colleague at some length , which i was annoyed at. He mentioned what she had said..I contemplated reporting her but resisted.
I keep getting off people that i am not keeping up with the times and that my work colleague is better because he is on a pump...Well sorry ...my blood is too well controlled to be put on a pump..
I cant think of anything worse than having that attached to me...When i got diagnosed over 21 years ago , they said manage it and dont let it take over your life,,,Well sorry but i think the pump does...(being on holiday and having to disconnect every time you need to go in pool/shower)

btw ...my pump friend has been in hospital with high bloods since going on the pump!!!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Smiffy. Fair play to you for sticking to your guns on this. Your bs control is good and your regime works for you. That sounds pretty perfect. Nurse was completely wrong to discuss you with a work colleague. I am appalled at that. Your health is your business and privacy should be assured. Keep going as you are it is really working for you.

glenmoray

It would be a pump for me. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1977 and over the last 18 months have been finding my injection sites are getting all lumpy and painful. I also find insulin absorbsion in these areas getting worse to. I've been told insulin pumps you only have to change the cannula every 3 days so that would decrease my injections by 20. Hopefully then I would get a improvement to my injection sites. I forgot to tell you to that I alternate injection sites every injection so this is not to blame.

evita0_8

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'm new to this forum and had never heard of a pump before joining here. My readings are all over the place no matter what I eat. The thought of a pump does scare me but then I never like anything new. Maybe if I understood it how it worked and really read read up on it I would see the benefits. At the moment though are happy on my pen although might mention it at my next appointment.

Denise

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I had a pump in 2009.
Had a hypo while I was asleep, didn't wake up and was still being pumped with novorapid.

I was not expected to survive, I was in a coma and on life support for three weeks.
My brain swelled so much it resulted in brain damage, causing severe short term memory loss, epilepsy and I am no longer as fast thinking as I once was.

I gave the pump back, I also had the guardian which they say is a continuous blood glucose testing meter which is hooked up like a pump- only is isn't continuous, it tests every 15 minutes and even missed/skipped hypos-

I went back to insulin pens, I'll never use a pump again.
I am currently using two NovoPen Echo's
These pens keep a record of the last doses amounts and how long ago it was taken.
I would reccommend them to anyone.
Jane

I have been on the pump for just over a week now. After 16 years of injections.
I love it never had better control.
I was on 4 injections a day then having to do corrective injections daily. Often having really bad lows (1.4) giving me rebound highs (20+)
I have a very busy life with work and having two children (1years and 2years old).
It fits so perfect into my life. I love not having the worry of injecting. You can remove your pump an hour everyday which was perfect to have a water fight with the babies in the sunshine.
My mood is 100% better due to my blood sugars not swinging.
I would personally recommend the pump to other diabetics.
I never had long to wait at all. I would never go back to injections now I have experienced the flexibility of the pump.
I love my pump.

Zoe louisa

Ive been type 1 for eight yrs now and ive just been offered a pump, the only thing that bothers me is when going on holiday but the dr said l could detach pump and just gave normal injections whilst away, whats peoples thoughts who are on the pump? X

Switch2501

I'm on the pump and I wear it like a badge of honour.
Been diabetic for 15 years and lets face it, I'm more like Iron Man than any of my mates.
My control is better than it has been since I was diagnosed. I'd not give it back...
However I was lucky with mine, all my ratios just kind of fell in to place and I had no trouble in the early stages.

I've occasionally had trouble with cannulas bending and having to change them but I'm a grazer, I eat, I'll inject and doing that 8, 9, 10 times a day (that's including meals and long acting) is just impractical.

The pump is the best thing to happen to me...