Not open for further replies.
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Finzi said:
I feel a bit of a lone voice here, but everyone seems to be determined to cast the OP in the worst possible light (NOT saying she behaved well, clearly she didn't). But several people seem to be leaping on things she's saying, misinterpreting them, and then using it against her. She didn't demand dextrose because her BM was 21. She didn't know what it was. They wouldn't test it. That's why she was worried. She didn't have "no insulin, no glucose, no meter". She had all those things but the police took them away from her and wouldn't tell her when she would get them back. She didn't "petulantly" refuse to take her insulin. She had a good reason to refuse - she knows she goes hypo after alcohol, consequently she keeps three bottles of lucozade by her bed, and they were refusing to tell her when and if she would get her dextrose back following her insulin administration. As for the idea that it would have endangered the police to do her BM - that's ridiculous. For a start, that's what she was *asking* them to do. And a lancet "can be wielded with deadly consequences"? Come on. And what was she going to do with the dextrose if they'd let her have it? Forcibly choke someone with it? ;)

Hopefully both sides have learnt something from this and the OP will not put herself in that position again.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

NO, NOT everyone is casting the OP in the worse possible light, a vast majority of people have, but not ALL.

Just wanted to make that a bit clearer. People in glass houses etc........... :roll:

Just to add, if that was me, I personally wouldn't post the thread, I think I would be too embarrassed and ashamed at my behaviour, (I'm probably a lot older that the OP) but that doesn't put the diabetes problem on the back burner :problem:

All the best RRB :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
s10vsb said:
izzzi said:
to be honest. :x:x:x

That is what being part of this Forum is all about.
Please have respect what is said from most members. Sometimes "spur of the moment" is written then second thoughts may come after reading other members views.
We are not perfect. For all we know that policeman who made the arrest may have been a diabetic.
Diabetics aren't allowed to be Police officers...FACT. How come they know enough about being diabetic not employ one, (How can you arrest someone when your blood sugar drops and you're stood there ramming dextrose down your throat while they run away) But don't know how to treat a diabetic in custody? That's why it has to change how diabetics are treated in custody.
s10vsb needs to get her facts in order,and then she may get a little respect.
"In May 2006 the first person with insulin-treated diabetes was recruited into the police. We also lifted our restrictions on people with diabetes driving response vehicles. These are important steps for the police service."
"This has been an extremely important project for us."

By the way,when the Sargent called to see you, was there a £80.00p refund and a full Apology from the Durham Constabulary.

Sorry if I may have got my info wrong from a busy police friend.

Roy. :)

Mr Happy

AmBrenan, what has the list of hypo signs in relation to low blood sugars have to do with this instance? She said her sugars were 21!

I may be one deemed to be giving her short shrift but I've clearly stated that the police may have been partly at fault. However, the opening poster seems to think herself blameless, give inaccurate information and in my view tell blatant lies. I do not wish somebody like this to be seen as representative of our sugar avoiding collective...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

Mr Happy said:
AmBrenan, what has the list of hypo signs in relation to low blood sugars have to do with this instance? She said her sugars were 21!

I may be one deemed to be giving her short shrift but I've clearly stated that the police may have been partly at fault. However, the opening poster seems to think herself blameless, give inaccurate information and in my view tell blatant lies. I do not wish somebody like this to be seen as representative of our sugar avoiding collective...

I swore I wasn't going to get involved again lol....

If you want to know what the OP is saying, you have to read her posts. She did not say she was having a hypo. She said she didn't *know* what her sugars were, because they refused to let her test. When, several hours later, they finally tested her, she was high. They then tried to get her to take insulin but she was reluctant to do that because they refused to allow her to keep her emergency dextrose, and knowing her own body, she knew that she was *at risk* of a hypo following the combination of alcohol and Lantus. That is why she would keep bottles of lucozade by her bed in such a situation. The police refused to tell her whether she would be allowed to have the dextrose or if so, when.

It really isn't that complicated and I'm not sure why so many posters are finding it so. She is not saying she WAS having a hypo, she was saying she was at risk of one. As regards the police, they had no way of knowing what her sugars were, because they refused to let her check them. All they saw was somebody behaving very irrationally. Somebody who they *knew* was diabetic and who was begging them to be allowed access to her testing equipment. It is extremely poor management of the situation to lock her up without medical attention for several hours when the situation was easily remedied (check her blood or allow her to do so).

And I love bananas but can't have them any more ;)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Mr Happy

I understand the situation perfectly but question why people are suggesting there may be confusion between d&d and hypo when this clearly wasn't the case.

I would also have some sympathy with her if her actions had been somewhat more reasonable. If the police had acted in all the ways suggested without need then she'd have a pretty good case. Given that she initially refused to listen to them, got arrested, fell out of the van and was abusive, eratic and uncooperative will have shaped the way they behaved towards her.

Also, i do question her 'duty of care' towards herself which seems much more concerning than the actions of the police!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"There are 3 sides to every story - your side, my side and the truth" op has her truth and will not be swayed. The police will have their version. What really happened? We'll never know. I am curious to know when she last checked bs before arrest. I know bs can drop quickly after alcohol (usually after a few hours following an initial spike) but hers were apparantly rising. As I say, just curious. No idea why I'm still on this thread - I'm annoying myself by posting! Also love bananas but they don't love me back:cry:

s10vsb

Mr Happy said:
Is the point not that she should have done as the police asked her in the first place.

I do not want the diabetic masses represented by the idiotic minoroty.

In the future you may wish to:

Not get so slaughtered you lose self control
Not annoy your friends to the degree that they leave you
Listen to the police
Wear appropriate footwear
Not paint on restrictive clothing (neither functional nor attractive)
Not shout abuse at the police
Have better control of your sugars
Have the appropriate equipment with you
Have some respect
Have some humility

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quo
I didn't loose self control.
I didn't annoy my friends, we were in a group, some went to one pub, some went to another, I wanted to go home so went to the bar where she was to find her.
I don't go out in trainers!!! I'm 5'8 so don't wear the 'pathetic platforms' in fashion today.
There's a big difference between a 'fitted' and 'painted on' dress
At no time did I shout abuse at he police, they will confirm this.
I do control my sugar, I know it gets high when I drink as I often go out and then drops and drops more when I take my night time insulin.
I had my insulin and dextrose....I never take my monitor on a night out. If I get my bag stolen I can get sugar from any shop or bar to prevent a hypo and go home to get my insulin. Where can you get a monitor from?...HOME, I can't loose it there and have a million to one chance of a thief stealing it from my house.
Respect has to be earned.
Humanity?

s10vsb

Thundercat said:
I am absolutely gobsmacked that anyone would consider themselves in claim they are in control of their diabetes hot on the heals of declaring that 3 bottles of lucozade is standard treatment for a post alcohol night. Why on earth would you put yourself in a position that required that level of glucose. The night in question would seem to be an anomaly if that many hours after the fact your bs was at 21. That is a shockingly high figure. Also, no insulin with food - this does not demonstrate to good control. Everything you have said implies you have convinced yourself you are in control but have not informed yourself well enough to recognise danger areas. Your behaviour in the street was aggressive enough to get you arrested (police are more than familiar with drunk people and how to deal with them and know when to arrest) this was followed by more aggressive behaviour in a cell are we to believe that if you had insulin, meter and glucose on you when arrested you would have simply sat quietly in that cell? It also sounds highly irresponsible to become drunk when you had someone with you who was relying on you. The more you add to this the more it seems to me that there is a massive amount of shirked responsibility on your part. No insulin, no meter, no glucose, no idea where your friend was, no control of your emotions. Of course the police don't always get it right. Of course they should try harder. But so should you. Your behaviour in no way contributed to a cooperative situation. I know you will refute everything I have written but I am deeply uncomfortable with the idea that you are attempting to speak on behalf of all diabetics. In my opinion you are a very poor ambassador. You would be better employed using the time to reeducate yourself about diabetes. I am very worried about where you are right now.

After being IDDM for 17 years, what problems do I have with my health due to being diabetic? How many times have I been taken to hospital due to anything caused by diabetes? If I'm such a badly educated diabetic what's HBa1C?

s10vsb

mo1905 said:
It's actually scary how righteous you are ! No action will be taken against any officers, the Sargeant was just appeasing you. No laws or rules will be changed because of your drunken arrest.
Rules are already in place. They will seek medical care as soon as is practical. They let you calm down, as you were drunk and DISORDERLY. They then sorted things out.
I look forward to seeing all the news reports about your successful changes by Police of diabetics in custody.

Medical care is testing a diabetics BS BEFORE they're detained and that's what I'm fighting for...If the police came to your house now and took you into custody, and left you in a cell with no insulin, no dextrose, no watch and no monitor and not letting you know when you would be released, how would you react? Every time they opened the window you said, 'I need to check my BS and they wouldn't tell you and just slammed the 'shutter' shut how long would you wait before you started to 'kick off'?

s10vsb

eveshamgal said:
So a police sergeant needed educating about hoe yo spot hypos and hypers?? I've done first aid at work and know how to do that!! I'm pretty sure police training is a bit more in-depth.

I still think this is an ego post. Firstly it was bruised from the arrest and now it's stroking it because the OP thinks they are some diabetic rights activist or something!!

You ignored police requests, they arrested you, you became uncooperative and abusive (and petulant) so they left you to calm down, they called a Dr, they got your insulin, you refused to take it (again petulant) and so you had to go and waste yet more time and money being taken to A&E.

I am all for action being taken and rights fought For when they have been denied but where have they been denied?

They arrested me when it could've been avoided by letting me make a phone call...agreed by the sergeant...once again, non of you on this site were witnesses so it's once again, my word against all of you who've commented. I couldn't believe myself that non of the police in the cells knew the basics about diabetes, I thought he was taking the 'mickey'...that's why I spent so long talking about it. I am also a first aider at work....are you saying that he knew about diabetes but played 'dumb'. I told him they needed monitors so they wouldn't have to waste police time, money and the risk of somebody's life who REALLY needed a Dr such as stroke/heart attack...a monitor was all it took.

Mr Happy

You obviously lost self control as you were by definition disorderly and admitted to shouting yourself horse whilst kicking a door. The police wont tell me that you weren't abusive because they are unable to discuss ut, just like the Sergeant wouldnt discuss staff discipline with you (if there were indeed a case).

Why not have two monitors?

Respect doesnt have to be earned especially by people charged with upholding the law. Oh and humility is different from humanity.

Embabe25

Here's an idea. If your sugar drops so much when you drink why don't you just not drink! Surely you can have a good time sober.

Or lower the amount of lantus you take if you want to drink.

When you asked what HbA1C was, were you actually asking?

When you say you've had diabetes for 17 years have you had it from birth?

Em x

s10vsb

Mr Happy said:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote
No, not blameless!!! Read ALL of the posts....I would've failed a breathalyzer but at no time abusive or offensive!! The Seargent confirmed this, he's seen all of the CCTV...once again, my word against everyone who's posted a comment. My point is ALL DIABETICS SHOULD HAVE THEIR BS TAKEN B4 THEY ARE TAKEN INTO CUSTODY SOBER OR NOT!!! THEN THEY WOULDN'T HAVE WASTED A DR'S TIME COMING TO TEST MY BS, THEM DRIVING TO MY HOUSE TO GET MY INSULIN THEN TAKING ME TO A N E!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M FIGHTING FOR, A MONITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you agree or not?

Mr Happy

So you were arrested for drunk and disorderly without being disorderly? You fell out of the van in an orderly manner and failed to follow instructions? I presume your shouting and kicking the door was simply the hokey cokey gone wrong?

I'm not sure what good doing your sugars would do when youve admitted theyre ridiculously erratic anyway. Their 'duty of care' would mean they would need to call the doctor anyway.

It would be good if the police had monitors but they also lack staff, cells, equipment etc. It would have been much better if you had just behaved like an adult rather than engage in this pointless task!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you asking what your HbA1C is? What mine is? Or what the test is? For your own sake a second monitor is a smart idea. Manufacturers provided them for free.

Mr Happy

I phoned my doctors on Tuesday last week, asked to speak to a diabetic nurse. Told her i eeded a second monitor and it was on the reception desk 10 minutes later...

weeezer

Yep I think police stations should have bg meters. After all they are 'provided free'. Would save having to get a doc out to do it, which prob costs quite a bit. Then appropriate action could be taken, wouldn't take much to write up a procedure to follow.

I have been out many times without a meter, in fact, without insulin...knowing my bg was fine before leaving, knowing I would be having a drink and knowing I had dextrose on me. Does this make me irresponsible? No. (In my opinion) Does it make me an uncontrolled diabetic? No. So why presume the OP is?

Presumably to be taken in under the 'drunk & disorderly' premise one could be drunk OR disorderly? I love the vision that has been conjured up of an out of control staggering about woman, that didnt come across to me. Maybe I read the posts wrong, but don't think so...in fact I read them several times.

I can't help sticking up for the poor girl, she is being attacked and picked up on every point, and completely misunderstood in my opinion.

The point she has been trying to make all along is valid & important I think.

Embabe25

Ok so her point is that she didn't have her bs taken immediately. We get that.

Why she said at first was he was arrested for drunk and disorderly/ breach of the peace whatever it's called where you live. You need to be pretty far gone to get yourself arrested! In the process of being arrested she managed to struggle enough to get bruised and lose her voice!

These are the actions of someone who has no control over themselves. Her being diabetic is now a moot point. She behaved atrociously.

If the police force in Durham are now going to implement on the spot bs testing then maybe some good has come of her experience.

I have no sympathy for someone who can't handle their drink or are too arrogant to do a they are told by the police. And it seems I'm not alone. OP sounds very young and seems to not understand the danger she is putting herself in.

Em x

s10vsb

Embabe25 said:
Yes the hospital do but she wanted her machine!

Things are getting twisted now! Yes those are the signs of a hypo. She had only one! She was like a woman possessed shouting screaming and kicking enough to lose her voice and cause bruises! Her words!

OP I beg you please go to the IPCC or the papers so we can get this settled once and for all! But beware to be made the fool.

An let this lesson be learned! Don't drink to excess!

The other week I posted here while drunk. My sugar at the time was 15. I took a little fast acting to bring it down a little! I got home at 1am after drinking all day! I ate at home and forgot to take my lantus. My sugar when I woke at 9am was 6.0!

Better than it usually would have been! I've had diabetes for 3 years and am poorly controlled! If I can enjoy a drink responsibly then so should you!
You had an all day 'bender', ate when you got home at 1am took 'a little' fast acting insulin which would counteract your snack when you got home and you forgot your lantus and it was 6.0 in the morning...How low would it be if you hadn't eaten and HAD taken your lantus? You've been diabetic for 3 years..14yrs less than me...come back after 17yrs and tell me what your HBa1c is and how many health complications you have had caused by your 'poor controlled' diabetes....My HBa1c is 6.5 AND PROPERLY CONTROLLED, I've got NO complications. I've got a social life and go out with mates...I've monitored my 'drinking' BS for yrs and I know how my sugar works and that's why I take 3 bottles of lucozade to bed with me to stop a hypo and keep it normal all night. Does your positive result in the morning mean that you are going to have an all day session to control your diabetes or are you going to have to go on a 'bender' ever day to get it to normal?

Em x

s10vsb

Thundercat said:
"There are 3 sides to every story - your side, my side and the truth" op has her truth and will not be swayed. The police will have their version. What really happened? We'll never know. I am curious to know when she last checked bs before arrest. I know bs can drop quickly after alcohol (usually after a few hours following an initial spike) but hers were apparantly rising. As I say, just curious. No idea why I'm still on this thread - I'm annoying myself by posting! Also love bananas but they don't love me back:cry:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quot
Rising? NO! It goes high when I drink then drops like a ton of lead....If it annoys you posting, then don't post.

Status
Not open for further replies.