Correction dosage

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bg levels have been high all day at moment I'm on 1u to 10 carbs which has been working. Not sure if I'm coming down with something can't remember the dosage the nurse said to lower if high did a extra 2 units pre food tonight however levels still in 14/15 mark had lantus which I know is correct dosage just wondering if I should leave it for tonight and see what levels are like in morning?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi abs

You can work out your correction dose by dividing 100 by your total daily dose of insulin.

In my case for example it's 16u Lantus plus 16u NovoRapid, so I divide 100 by 32 which gives 3 near enough. So 1u of NovoRapid will bring my blood glucose down by 3 mmol/l.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks will try that to work it out hate being high cant afford to be ill!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will take 2 hours for your quick acting to do 80% of it's work (and probably all spent after 4 hours).

Be careful not to stack additional correction doses up until you're sure the previous ones have more or less finished working.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
abs said:
My bg levels have been high all day at moment I'm on 1u to 10 carbs which has been working. Not sure if I'm coming down with something can't remember the dosage the nurse said to lower if high did a extra 2 units pre food tonight however levels still in 14/15 mark had lantus which I know is correct dosage just wondering if I should leave it for tonight and see what levels are like in morning?

Hi abs

I have had a similar problem, but mine lasted days, no matter what correction I gave myself, I knew something was wrong,
1 unit of NovoRapid brings me down by 3, nothing worked. I was getting worried, so I put new vials in NovoRapid and threw out the disposable Levemir pen and started a new one, in case vials were faulty in some way. Since yesterday my levels have been much lower and that could be because I upped my bedtime Levemir by just one unit to 13( normally 12) and today I haven't been over 5!!!!!! which is amazing, but I have yet to test my bedtime BS, so fingers crossed.

If your high BS continues and you are getting concerned, contact your DSN for some advice, if what you are doing isn't working.

Good luck.

With best wishes RRB