Blood monitoring at work

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Re: Blood monitoring at work

Oh heck... type 1, but hate injections (or blood, or operations, dentists etc)..., also petrified of spiders and heights!!!! I have to get a beer tankard out to put over spiders til hubby gets home ... And I have to find ways to handle these phobias..... But genuinely dont know why anybody wishes to make anissue out of anybody having medicine in oublic... I guess they would also have issues over breast feeding!!!

We have a neighbours son age 7 who loves to see me constantly. Well last night he saw me take off my pump, do a cartridge change, new tube and new set and saw the needle up close and then saw me put it in. He just accepts that diabetes, pump etc is normal. When its time for me to test, we all guess what my blood is... TonightI got it spot on for my post meal test... Hubby said 7.5, little boy 7.8 and me 7.2.... Result spot on!!! He knows that I have dolly mixtures in car, bedroom, kitchen and he cant have any as they are for me when I'm ill. I dont think there's anything wrong with being so open about my diabetes.. Even with a 7 year old...

Then today also met a type 2 neighbour ( we new to area) and we talked for an ansolute age. He said he admired that I worked as a gardeer....I was absolutely staggered that he thought that I shouldn't be well enough to work in my job.

Jobs and life......a lot of it is down to how we make it for ourselves... And for others. I always think... If I give one bad imoression of diabetes to an employer, to public, to friends.... Then it's like chinese whispers..... These people will tell their friends, colleagues etc etc and it will scare people off from employing a diabetic, or helping them if hypo...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ben21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Lauren.
Does not sound great. I advise getting some advice - possibly CAB. Your manager is not allowed to make comments like that based on your diabetes. You should gently remind him of the Equality act - he should be aware of it from sounds of your job. Do you have a HR department? It is possible that he is discriminating based on your diabetes - you should not be asked if you are in right job - its not the fire service! I worked in similar role to you. When I my 1st review - I got asked if I was injecting extra insulin so I could eat more - as someone had reported that i had eaten a piece of cake. ***. I was young and not aware of how wrong this was. I would not allow this to happen now. You need to stand up and be heard - employment law is in your side.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I never had problems testing at work in fact i have tested all my colleagues because they were curious :)

candiloo

Your HR department/occ health should make sure you are allowed to go out and test when you are ready - look at the Equalities information Diabetes UK supply - and you should be allowed breaks to eat when you need to rather than when the company says. If you have any trouble from them, write a letter - 'reasonable adjustment' - and ask them to allow you to test and have time for your diabetes management. If you have a Union Rep or Equalitites rep at work, get them involved as they can ensure it happens, or if they won't allow it, it can go to appeal as it endangers your health. The Equalities information is amazing and helped me to get a job in a safer area when my Company were playing up making me do a job which meant I had a hypo every night. Also make sure with your reasonable request that your absences due to your diabetes is not counted within the absence management - especially if they are not allowing you to test when you need. As for where to test, I just pop out to my locker, as sometimes I wouldn't get any further anyway and do it there. No-one has complained, or sometimes I do it in a little corner in the canteen before I eat, but if they make a fuss, ask for the key to the first aid room to go there to do it. Everyone should read their rights and look at the Equalities information.

Gemima

I don't test in work at all, its inconvenient for me, everyone knows I'm t1 though. i eat the same things every day so i just have my own routine and don't particularly need to test. BUT My fear is that if I ever did have absences etc due to my diabetes I won't have a leg to stand on with hr as I don't consider myself disabled as i am very much able to do whatever i want, so I don't tick that box on forms but my managers all know about my condition so I don't really know what is best!