Back to School nerves

sharon3570

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,my son is going back to school after a stay in hospital and being newly diagnosed with type 1. As u can imagine things are still sinking in and worried about anything and everything. We had our meeting with the nurses and teachers yesterday before is allowed back on monday,everything was going fine,until the nurse explained about hypos etc and how to deal with them ( hes getting quite a few at the minute) to which the headmaster stated "there is only so much we can do as we are not medically trained" and interupted the nurse saying he would have to ring the parent ( ie me) to come down,i just wanted to burst into tears on the spot,he then began stating the rules and regs of the school etc things id have to sign etc,and also stating that i could join them on my sons school trip which is coming up for 5 days,i can sort of understand his motifs,but its left me feeling absolutely devastated and feel like my son is just going to be a " burdon" to the school,Whilst he was like that the teachers kept giving me sympathetic glances as if to say " he shouldnt really be saying things like that!! As u can imagine his first day back fills me with dread and fear anyway and now this has just made everything worse that i now feel im on melt down,of course i would always be there like a shot if anything was to happen,i just felt like his attitude towards it was all wrong,has anyone else felt like this?? thanks sharon x

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

It sounds like the headmaster was probably just trying to cover himself with all the forms etc. (& didnt consider how scared and worried you must be).

however, teachers have a duty to care for the children in their class/school and I am sure any teacher would be more than happy to help him to test his sugar and get him to eat something if it is low. If the nurse has had a meeting with the teachers then they will have good information about what to do if he has a hypo. Please try not to worry.

My sister in law was a teacher and had a diabetic in her class. He used to tell her if he felt funny and then test his sugar (with help) & he had a stash of food in the classroom if his sugar went low.

I was 13 when I got diabetes and my teachers were always understanding if I started eating in class.

Just make sure he had some dextro tablets or some kind of sugar he can have if he goes low, and maybe something like biscuits as well.

I hope this reassures you somewhat and the best of luck with your son going back to school!

jayne15

we developed a care plan which the school follows- they treat my daughters hypo's about 3 times a week and only contact if absolutely necessary, she has also been on school trips. there's is a good information booklet from diabetes uk which we gave to the school and the teachers follow this. engage with your local school nurse for some additional support- your child is protected by the disability act and really the school has a duty of care to support you and your child, develop a care plan with clear instructions of what to do with a hypo ect and when to contact yourselves, if you inbox me your email address I can locate the care plan ect and email you over the weekend. they have a photo of my daughter in the staff room also with clear instruction of what to do and what to look out for if she becomes unwell so that all staff can act if they find her unwell.

let us know how you get on.

Jayne