Hypos and teeth

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
What can I give my child for hypos that does not effect teeth all this orange juice and biscuts,too much acids and sugars.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The whole point is that a hypo needs sugar so you can't avoid that. But you might be able to avoid the acid. Have you used dextrose tabs or lucozade tabs? Or liquid lucozade? I don't know what they're like for acid but possibly better than fruit juice. I sometimes use golden syrup for something easy and quick - dissolves on the tongue, tastes nice and just from instinct it doesn't seem like it would be very acidic... But that is a guess.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks will ask nurse about syrup my little girl hates the tabs and is sick of juice and biscuits so this may be a better alternative.i Spose when we out the honey moon period she will have less hypos so at least it will only be sugar in moderation instead of at the moment about give times a day

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aah yes, I forgot about jellybabies - they are recommended as good for hypos. Full of sugar, soft and quick to eat and digest.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately all options are liable to leave a sugary deposit on teeth and some of the options are very sticky. I hate it when I discover I'm low just before bed so have to eat something and then clean my teeth again.

I would have thought using a straw could help bypass the problem to an extent . A quick google found that this is indeed the advice from dentists for people drinking 'soda'. The only problem is that you have to position the straw towards the back of the mouth and follow that up with a rinse of water.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/26210.php

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much will get some straws then and may try ringing after acid drinks,can I ask a total random question not about teeth,are Jaffa cakes ok for hypos will try the jelly beans just need new ideas as my very stubborn 8 year old is getting fond of refusing hypo treatments now as she fed up of them

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Using a straw will help a little although a certain amount will come into contact with teeth. Damage limitation would be to brush her teeth as soon as poss after symptoms disappear !

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
andywright said:
Not sure a straw and hypo would be a good mix :?
Funnily enough I remembered that I had heard about the straw before. I think it would depend on how low/how it affected the child but one Mum said that her child would drink from the straw whilst low and asleep!
You shouldn't clean teeth straight afterward eating as the enamel will be softer and you can cause more damage. ( I know ideas change but that was what was advised when my children were small, actually just checked and the link says the same thing)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Apologies about the teeth cleaning advice. Maybe give it an hour or so prior to brushing ?