Ideal Menu For Type 2 for the day?

Hamausa

To those who use diet only to reverse type 2, what kind of menu do you use to do the trick? Please let me know your suggestion . Thank you.
Hamausa

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hehe you want a text? Wouldn't it be easier to post replies here? I don't know about reversing anything but here's a typical menu for a day in the life of me this is helping me lose weight and keep bg levels in roughly the right place....

Breakfast
Natural Greek yogurt full fat
2 or 3 cut up strawberries
6 ish blueberries
Ground flax seed prinkled over the top

Lunch
Slice chicken breast or ham or boiled egg
Salad
Maybee a chunk of cheese

Dinner
Omelette salad
Or steak salad
Or meat and veg
Or spaghetti bolognaise minus the spaghetti
Or lasagna with leak instead of pasta
Or.......

Followed by the very important no sugar jelly and full cream yum

No idea if this is what you wanted :)

chris57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My wife and l attend Slimming World and my new diet means l have stopped taking medication :D

judyann1

similar to Andy apart from breakfast - mostly one slice burgen soya and linseed toast, rasher bacon, boiled egg ( or small amount of porridge made with water and add a spoon of cream! Lunch - 2Finn crisp crackers, salad and sardines, pilchards, cheese and mayonnaise. Evening - very small jacket potato with butter, chicken, fish or meat and veg and salad followed by small portion of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, with cream. Before bed, two cream crackers with butter!

judyann1

o sorry im not diet only but keep good low sugar readings - my sister who is diet only eats similar to me but not the potato.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chris... Don't you find slimming world encourages as much carbs as you like?? I have found since losing my first 8lb at slimming world my readings have naturally come down :D I'm hoping with carrying on with it, I will be off meteor in by the end of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Hamausa said:
To those who use diet only to reverse type 2, what kind of menu do you use to do the trick? Please let me know your suggestion . Thank you.
Hamausa

Hi, this is mine .... also eat apples, pears and oranges ... basically a 'grazing' diet avoiding hunger pangs, since 4 hours between meals seems nuts (if you'll pardon the pun)! Lost 4.5 stones over 6 months (in fits and starts...frustrating at times!) & no diet to come off (but my old friend 'WILL POWER' needed!). I did sacrifice the booze, but I suspect a sensible amount would not have done any harm.

Breakfast: Plain oats (no manufactured cereals) with sliced banana & first of many coffees!!!

Mid-morning: Slice of toast with peanut butter or marmite

Lunch: Salad with tinned sardines or ham and homemade mayo

Mid-afternoon: As per mid-morning

Evening meal: Meat or fish, spuds, rice or pasta or homemade pizza & veg. - don't like or need desserts

DavidK

Breakfast-porridge made with soya milk with blueberries. Two eggs or a tin of sardines Lots of Coffee. Actimil
Mid morning Apple and lots of coffee
Lunch Pasta with tomato sauce olives and possibly Tuna
Mid afternoon lots of tea and plain ryvita
Dinner Usually Fish with pasta lots of veg and 1/3 bottle of wine more tea.

Due to spousal pressure Sundays Lamb joint, Wednesdays fillet steak No other red meat

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat less than most people, but my usual plan is:
beakfast 1/2 slice Burgen soya and linseed bread toasted with loads of butter on and often some cheese.
lunch meat, fish, eggs or cheese and greens [usually a salad]
supper
the other half of the slice of toast.
I find it suits me better to eat my main meal midday.
I occasionally snack on a few berries or nuts and have a square of Lidl's dark hazelnut chocolate as my evening treat.
this pattern isn't set in stonee and I do sometimes have egg for breakfast.
I keep my main meal at midday and don't have much afterwards MOST of the time. Sometimes it doesn't work.
today for example, I had a slice or 2 of cold meat and a couple of strawberries for lunch and I'm having burgers and mixed veg for dinner. I've had my grandson all day and it fits in better.
Hana

L

Luna21

Yikes! Doubt I could survive on such a diet Hana. :eek:

Each to their own of course, everyone is different, but I like my food and so far I have managed to lose over 2 stones and lower my targets quite significantly on a more balanced diet, although I would like them even lower if possible.

I make curries, stir fries, and cassseroles, all relatively low-carb but I doubt any of my family could tell the difference. I will only be able to stick with eating the right things for a diabetic, if the meals I eat are tasty and varied, otherwise I could see me falling off the wagon very easily indeed.

I am diabetic and always will be, but I refuse to let diabetes take over all my life, and enjoyment of 'good' foods!

norahcowpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Firstly reverse diabetes diets don't work. I found this one in the press and it is now known as the Newcastle diet. You must use only Optislim shake drinks as they are made with water not milk you have 3 of these a day. You must not eat any proteins or carbohydrates or fruit. each evening for your only meal you eat roasted vegetables as much as you want and drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres a day. You maintain this regime for 4 weeks, Here's the dangerous bit you stop all medication and test your bloods regularly. I know someone who tried this and lost almost a stone in a month,needless to say he is still a diabetic and gained his weight back quickly when returning to a normal diet. Only attempt diets with the blessing of your health advisors accept your diabetes and learn to have a healthy diet and lifestyle it's the only way.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
norahcowpe said:
Firstly reverse diabetes diets don't work. I found this one in the press and it is now known as the Newcastle diet. You must use only Optislim shake drinks as they are made with water not milk you have 3 of these a day. You must not eat any proteins or carbohydrates or fruit. each evening for your only meal you eat roasted vegetables as much as you want and drink plenty of water, at least 2 litres a day. You maintain this regime for 4 weeks, Here's the dangerous bit you stop all medication and test your bloods regularly.
Simplistic, you need more safeguards and to perform the diet more scientifically
norahcowpe said:
I know someone who tried this and lost almost a stone in a month,needless to say he is still a diabetic and gained his weight back quickly when returning to a normal diet.
Yes, still diabetic, and if you stop weeding weeds grow back!
norahcowpe said:
Only attempt diets with the blessing of your health advisors accept your diabetes and learn to have a healthy diet and lifestyle it's the only way.
Agree"accept your diabetes and learn to have a healthy diet and lifestyle" but what if your health advisors don't / won't understand "a healthy diet"?

A

Anonymous

Andy12345 said:
im quite surprised people can tolerate bread or spuds, i wished i could

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Not forgetting pasta, rice & pizza. Last night I had homemade pork curry with pineapple, garden peas, rice and cauliflower. BG 6.5 after two hours. Guess it shows how unique we all are.

jennyleach

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All processed foods, rice, pasta and potatoes
I have discovered low carbing on this Forum 8 weeks ago and it has worked extremely well and I have had no processed foods, potatoes, pasta, bread or rice since I started. I am never hungry or have any cravings (I used to be hungry and lots of cravings before) and most of all my BGs have reduced by over half...from 12s to 5s and 6s...cant wait to see my next Hb1a in 4 weeks time! I have also reduced the amount of insulin I am taking from 34 units of Novamix 30 to 18 and this morning BG on waking was 6.8! I have also discovered 2 free sites called MyFitnessPal.com which allows you to enter all the food you eat and it works out the cals, carbs, protein, fat etc you are eating and the other site is GlucoseGraph which allows you to enter your blood sugars and gives you graphs etc. Breakfast is normally 30 grms Asda free from porridge oats (gluten/wheat free). Lunch is a combination of fish or chicken with salads or vegetables; once a week bacon, eggs and tomatoes. Dinner is a different combination of fish, chicken and vegetables. I have discovered lots of new vegetables and spices and which I didn't know I liked! eg peppers. If I need to snack it is usually berry fruits. Before bed I usually have an Asda wheat free oatcake. I am also losing weight which is a bonus but most of all I feel so much better. Hope this helps

Dunkels King

Luna21 said:
I make curries, stir fries, and cassseroles, all relatively low-carb but I doubt any of my family could tell the difference. I will only be able to stick with eating the right things for a diabetic, if the meals I eat are tasty and varied, otherwise I could see me falling off the wagon very easily indeed.

Any chance of posting up your recipes for all of these. I am doing low carb with (now) one Metformin per day. Hope to be off the Metformin at my next HbA1c though. Would love some good recipes for Curries and Casseroles ! My wife does make a good Stir Fry already, so I am just missing out on the others :)

A

Anonymous

Luna21 said:
Yikes! Doubt I could survive on such a diet Hana. :eek:

Each to their own of course, everyone is different, but I like my food and so far I have managed to lose over 2 stones and lower my targets quite significantly on a more balanced diet, although I would like them even lower if possible.

I am diabetic and always will be, but I refuse to let diabetes take over all my life, and enjoyment of 'good' foods!

I agree with you. Can't do with my life being controlled by monitors, measuring jugs and bathroom scales. I eat reasonable amounts of 'normal' food and and test myself randomly and occasionally (just had a 4-month gap). My view is that, if my fasting levels for 10 hours or so per day (sleeping and pre-breakfast) are good, and post-evening dinner levels well within the 'norm' then I have no concerns about periodic, temporary increases in bG during the remaining 14 hours of the day. I am led to believe that it is PERSISTENTLY high or low bG levels which are of concern. I would certainly not sacrifice my body's nutritional needs to achieve an artificial max high of between 5 & 6. As long as I am in the official 'norm' non-diabetics that's fine by me.

Would be interested in what you think of my last four evening dinners .... (no measurements but rice approx. two ladles etc. etc.)

Pork curry, peas, carrots, tomato juice, rice, cauliflour, courgettes (bG 6.5)

White pasta, courgettes, carrots, parmesan, tomato juice (bG 5.7)

Turkey stuffed with ham and cheese, double-breadcrumbed, brocolli, fennel bulb (bG 6.3)

Smoked haddock, cauliflour, boiled potatoes, bechemal cheese sauce (bG 6.2)

Seems fine to me, but maybe I'm failing to understand something? Otherwise, let's hear it for the 'carbers' for a change. :twisted:

Dunkels King

Some people are affected differently than others. I think that having the rice for example could have it's bG effect reduced by the protein in the curry making the release into the blood take longer. My doctor told me that I can eat anything but in moderation. I really didn't believe her after I had a small portion of brown rice (when I had first been diagnosed) and my reading was up to 188 mg/dl two hours after. I would like to try a Butter Brezen here. I absolutely love them but I know they are high Carb. I keep promising myself I will try one as a treat but then nreves always get the better of me and I leave it. Same with Spaghetti. I absolutely love Spaghetti Agli e olio, but again I am too scared to give it a go. Tried it once with brown spaghetti and it was horrible, so for me it would have to be normal pasta. Am I worrying too much ? Who can tell. My HbA1c came in today and is 5.9 % which is I think a 41, and my Glicose was 92 mg/dl, so what I have been doing is working, but I don't want to risk ruining all the good work I have done. When people say having something "forbidden" once a month isn't going to cause a problem is it really true ?

A

Anonymous

Dunkels King said:
Some people are affected differently than others. I think that having the rice for example could have it's bG effect reduced by the protein in the curry making the release into the blood take longer. My doctor told me that I can eat anything but in moderation. I really didn't believe her after I had a small portion of brown rice (when I had first been diagnosed) and my reading was up to 188 mg/dl two hours after. I would like to try a Butter Brezen here. I absolutely love them but I know they are high Carb. I keep promising myself I will try one as a treat but then nreves always get the better of me and I leave it. Same with Spaghetti. I absolutely love Spaghetti Agli e olio, but again I am too scared to give it a go. Tried it once with brown spaghetti and it was horrible, so for me it would have to be normal pasta. Am I worrying too much ? Who can tell. My HbA1c came in today and is 5.9 % which is I think a 41, and my Glicose was 92 mg/dl, so what I have been doing is working, but I don't want to risk ruining all the good work I have done. When people say having something "forbidden" once a month isn't going to cause a problem is it really true ?

I can't see how you can come to any harm by trying a particular food. If you 'spike' after one meal, what's the harm? I can't see how that would ruin your good work . So far I have found that my bG drops by around 1.0 points (in UK speak) every 20 minutes or so to fasting level. So, even if I get an occasional high reading as I did recently after three quarters of a bar of chocolate (9!), that doesn't concern me ... the bG is on the way down all the time and I won't eat chocolate every night. I believe it's persistently high (or low) readings that create the problems, so I'm sure the occasional treat won't make a difference.

Whilst it is obviously right to keep track, I think some people can become obsessed with bG readings. If 'normal' is between 4 & 8 (approx.) then I am not sure what the real difference is between, say 6.0 and 6.5, in the scheme of things. I would be down to fasting level (4-5) within about 30 minutes of that.

It would be interesting and useful to get the views of others.

Dunkels King

Gezzathorpe, that's what I am thinking. I just need to pluck up the courage to try it now. Out of interest, when people talk about things like 30g of Spaghetti/rice has so many carbs, are they talking cooked weight or dry weight ? 30g of cooked rice is probably about a dessert spoon full !