Menu Diary to follow?

HI, I am a Type 2 Insulin dependent diabetic. My HbA1c is normally around 9.2 and I have tried just about everything to get it down.
If anyone out there has any suggestions about a possible meal by meal diet I can follow to bring it down I would be grateful.

I look forward to some help. :p

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
LaughingDonkey,
Hi, Welcome.
Sorry, for most of us there isn't any one diet/mealplan that works purely for us, more of a general principles, try, test, replan cycle that helps us define our individual plan!
1)Start by looking at your existing diet.
2)Try to cut down on existing carbohydrates/sugar
3) Test BGs at 2 hrs after meals.
4) Loop to 2)
Hopefully the BGs should start to fall.
In my case I have cut out all breakfast cereals and most bread/toast egg & meats are my breakfast . I have cut out most Rice / potatoes/ pasta and starchy veg On fruits I have eliminated banannas and grapes and substituted berries that do not raise my BGs
Most folks on here will be glad to offer help and encouragement.
good luck. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I think the standard response that you will get here its to eat to your meter, in other words take a reading before the meal, write down what you are about to eat, then take a reading 2 hrs later. If the level is above 7.8 then look at what you ate and try and reduce the carb content next time. I found that keeping a really detailed food diary really helps a well as reading the info on packaged food.
You will eventually learn how many carbs you can tolerate per day our per meal to keep your numbers below that magic 7.8 figure. For me its about 50g but everyone is different.

Hope that helps

s

Spiral

What kind of food do you normally eat, LaughingDonkey? Posting some info abot your usualy diet would help people to make suggestions that would help you lower your readings.

edit - submitted too soon :roll:

jennyleach

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All processed foods, rice, pasta and potatoes
Hi there try these 2 free sites which will help your calories intake, your carbs, protein, fat , sodium etc it is called My Fitness Plan.com and Glucose Graph. Cutting out nearly all carbs will bring your BGs down such as potatoes, bread, pasta and rice. I tried this 8 weeks (and still on it) ago and I am never hungry, brought my BGs down by over half and as a bonus also losing weight. It is a question of trial and error though but the above sites will definitely help you. Best of luck