17st weight loss!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lady on my local news tonight has gone from 27st to 10st in 15 months, a loss of 17st :shock: :clap: :clap: - she was going into hospital for a gastric band and the per op talks etc frightened her, it motivated her to lose weight - she looked amazing and her tip was simple "eat less move more"

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Wow!! Thats impressive, :clap: :clap: Ive always said that fear is a great motivator :thumbup:

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
When people asked me about my 'diet' I used to say, "eat the right food at the right time in the right amount". I think "eat less, move more" is much better! Stories like that are a boost to all who need to lose weight, good for her.
Lee

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Wow, that's amazing. That's almost twice what I weigh at the moment! As Mr. Bonkers said, fear is a great motivator.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Lovinglife, thanks for this thread and post .

Fear indeed 'is' a great motivator .
My husband has seen many cancer patients re-evaluate their lives due to
this illness .
They finally realise what REALLY is important in life ... :thumbup:

Anna .

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Wow that's brilliant I have what seems like a minor weight loss of 4 stone but no matter how much you lose 1lb to 17 st every little helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I mentioned this guy on another thread but am repeating te link to his blog here because I think his story fits in really well on this thread. I'm absolutely blown away by his achievement
Like the lady mentioned in the original post, he too was about to undergo gastric band surgery. He weighed a pound short of 40 stone. He was diabetic and quotes sky high glucose levels . He had high blood pressure and a very rapid fasting pulse.
I had a Holiday booked at the end of September that year, the hospital and surgeon told me that it would not be done until at least October 2008 and to enjoy my last holiday as someone who is obese because my future is about to get better…..

I decided that I needed to change before the operation and attempted to get a little stronger for the operation
So he decided that he needed to get fitter, he wanted to ride a bicycle but was too heavy. That was the start of his journey.
He never had the operation.
He didn't lose his weight overnight and it took time to his glucose levels to become more normal, but over the next 4 years he lost nearly 70% of his weight.
Now he weighs 13 stone . He is an extremely very fit cyclist with normal glucose levels and normal blood pressure. He now takes no medication.
http://39stonecyclist.com/about/
(actually I've just done some more reading and the more I read, the more I'm impressed. When he started out on his journey he had what he terms a selective eating disorder ie he ate no proper meals only crisps, sweets and chocolates. he had eaten like this since early childhood. He had developed an aversion to 'proper' food. (no wonder his glucose levels were so high).During the first part of his weight loss he didn't alter this pattern, he just ate less and moved more. Eventually he learned to overcome his aversion and to eat more healthily but that took time and outside help)