Very long hypo

SewK8

Hello
I have just had a really rubbish night. I went to bed at 11.30 with BS of 5.4. Had a snack as usual if my sugar is less than 8 at bed time. Had my usual humalin and went to sleep. (Humalin was put down to 5u three weeks ago form 8u due to DP).
I woke up at 2am with BS 3.9 so had some dextrose, like normal. Went back to sleep. 30 min later low again at 2.4 so had more dextrose and a couple of biscuits 10 min later when BS was still only 3.0
I went back to sleep only to wake another 45 min later with a reading of 1.9! Hubby had to get me squash with glucose this time as I was totally drained and feeling awful. Tested an hour later and was back to 5.4.
So went back to sleep and woke at 8am with BS of 15.9!

Argh!!!!! I now have the hypo headache, feel drained from lack of sleep and am at a loss as to why I couldn't get out of it.

Roll on September when I am assessed for a pump!

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Silly question, please don't get annoyed.
Are you sure you took background insulin and not fast acting by mistake?

SewK8

I was wondering that but it's such a stupid mistake if I did. It's the only answer really tho isn't it. Wish the pens had a way of logging the last dose given on them.
Kat

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a little gizmo you can attach to a pen which records last injection info. Can't remember the name at the moment, I'll get back to you.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again! Found that info. Its called Insulchek (www.insulchek.com) The price in euros is €29.99 but I don't know the price in pounds. Should get one myself as on more than one occasion I've had my pen on my hand trying to remember of I've injected!

SewK8

Brilliant, thank you, I will go and look now.
People think its strange how I can not remember what or when I had my insulin...28 yrs down and its like a sneeze! lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SewK8

Might the hypo's been the result of exercise you did earlier in the evening?

I don't know which QA insulin you use but the Novopen Echo has a memory function built in which tell you how much time has lapsed since you last injected, there's another device that fits on the end of some pens similar to the one Thundercat provided, it's called Timesulin and here is the link:

http://timesulin.com/

SewK8

Hello noblehead.

thanks also for the link. I will ask my DSN on Monday about the pen you mentioned. I used to use an elastic band and tape! :crazy:
I think it is more likely the wrong insulin as I am unable to exercise at the moment due to having had major surgery to my feet recently. But I was running very high AM yesterday.

Kat

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sewk8, I also had an experience very similar to yours. I had not made a mistake with my insulin, that is definite. What was odd was that my usual 20 carb fast acting fixed the hypo temporarily, and once again I was hypo again. Just like you I had various results of officially being hypo!! And yes I woke up 19.9mmol!! This has happened twice in my life. The first time was when I had had exercise during the day. 2nd time I'd done nothing in particular. However I have a Novopen echo which displays when you last injected and how many units. I heard about them on here and got two on prescription. Come in handy if you have a moment of 'God did I inject'?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same kind of issue last night - bedtime8.3 snack, 11pm 3.2 chocolate and cheese on toast (70g of carbs to get me through the night) 4.30am 3.7 and then I let the hypo moster take over! still only woke at 9.6 though.

No chance of mixing up insulins - two completely different pens and one wasnt even upstairs! :***:

Feel like **** today!

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
It could be insulin in your injection sites that may have built up, if you use the same site slot and has finally released into your system. I 've had it happen a few times

ben21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well glad I read this, kinda... I ran half marathon today. Little worried if hypo tonight. But I will be extra vigilent - and have a little extra before bed now. Have already eaten twice as much as usual over course of evening. BM s have been perfect. Body is absorbing everything at a rate of knots. Let you know if I have a trouble free night. :)