Looking to lose 20 lbs in 10 weeks

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MikeVincent said:
Reading up on the Paleo diet suggests that grain products are really not good for you, which is why I've cut the pasta and bread. The wholemeal type doesn't seem to have the benefit that is suggested. And, I think I read it somewhere here, the wholemeal flour quantity may be very small in those products.

Yes, descriptions of bread are completely unreliable. I get my bread from an artisan baker who buys the flour from a trusted mill. Buitoni wholegrain penne works for me, but again, not all do. Basically, you've got to test one by one.

Sourcing good food is time consuming. I am fortunate in finding a fish wholesaler who sells to the public. What's more, they sell more than just fish so 20 frozen duck breasts for £32.00. That's roughly half the supermarket price. That fried in its own fat, sliced and diced and mixed with the Holy Trinity of Chinese spices, chilli, ginger and garlic, a few tomatoes, spring onion, a little oyster sauce and some wholegrain noodles and it's a good low carb meal. I also got a copy of Prashad's, Indian Vegetarian Cooking

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1444734717

Basically, you have to cook because you can't trust the food industry. They cook cheap but make it taste good by adding lots of fat and sugar.

MikeVincent said:
Reading up on the Paleo diet

If you find anyone selling aurochs steak, email me!

bull5.jpg

Creatures_Aurochs_concept.jpg

Caesar wrote about them and they are the beasts in the french cave paintings.

Lascaux_painting.jpg

But the last one seems to have been killed in Poland in the 1600s. I guess they must have tasted good :)

dutch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guy's sorry to but in have just read comments on weight loss and food.
First let me say well done on the weight loss.
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and was not given any info on what i could or could not have so went down the fresh food route with no fat sugar or salt and have lost 18lb in 2weeks.
Still not had thst much help but have learned a lot more being on here...thanks foe letting me interupt

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dutch1 said:
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and was not given any info on what i could or could not have so went down the fresh food route with no fat sugar or salt and have lost 18lb in 2weeks.

Congratulations. That rate of loss will slow down at some point but don't let that discourage you. As you get lighter, you are simply moving less weight around and so doing less work. You can help speed up your metabolism somewhat by some exercise and to continue with weight loss usually a combination of some sort of diet and exercise is necessary. The exercise has an added benefit for diabetics, it helps the insulin sensitivity too.

Be careful with white bread, white rice, mashed potatoes etc. All the easy to digest starches. I go for brown rice, wholemeal bread, small new potatoes and of course, am careful with portion sizes. I've sort of stuck and it now takes me 2 weeks to lose 1Kg. Last month it was 1Kg per week. However, I am happy with 1Kg per two weeks, if it lasts, if not I will either have to increase my exercise or be stricter with my diet, or both. Main thing is not to get disheartened.

Fish, whether tinned or fresh, seems to work very well, drops the BG to low levels and helps the diet in a big way.

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
dutch1 said:
Guy's sorry to but in have just read comments on weight loss and food.
First let me say well done on the weight loss.
Still not had thst much help but have learned a lot more being on here...thanks foe letting me interupt

18lb in 2 weeks - amazing.

As the Yorkshire fella says, that will likely slow down.

I find is helpful when I'm stuck or gaining to look at the graph I have for my weight loss. It shows how far I've come so far and encourages me to continue.

I differ from Yorksman about bread. Learning from the paleo diet proponents, they don't eat grains, so bread and pasta is out for me, whole meal or not. (Though I do eat weetabix at the moment, but would love to have a low cal, low cal, paleo alternative).

I do eat fish and only eat meat when I'm out. I bought a jar of tikka spread - my favourite meal at the moment is Salmon Tikka with cuccumber grated and mixed with natural yoghurt and some leaves. No potato.

If you don't mind saying, what weight are you?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It should be doable, especially for a male!
I've lost about 18kg, but although it started quite quickly, it's now slowed so I'm lucky to lose a kg per month
I wish you good luck and suggest you find a small plate, it's meant to help. Also, I think reducing carbs and eating a nutrient dense diet works best for most people.
Hana

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MikeVincent said:
Though I do eat weetabix at the moment, but would love to have a low cal, low cal, paleo alternative.

I wouldn't worry with a bit of weetabix. Emmer wheat, the wild form of einkorn wheat, rye, naked barley, wild oats, wild flax and millet are all the sort of carbs hunter gatherers would eat. They wouldn't eat so much of them because they only grew wild, but they would eat them if they came accross them. People today still cut bamboo to extract the starch.

Most mesolithic sites in Yorkshire were the summer hunting camps of people who lived on the coast. They had seasonal tours, collecting flint for tools, hunting for meat, bone, antler and fur. Coastal diets provide all the necessary nutrients, calcium, iodine etc, but if you need these other things, moving inland was necessary and they were away from their most plentiful food resource near the sea, in esturaries, lakes or rivers.

The neolithic, the new stone age followed the mesolithic, the middle stone age. The tools are different and are associated with woodland clearance and cultivation and the emergence of permanent settlements. The neolithic marks the onset of farming, not the invention of eating carbs. They knew certain grasses were edible long before they deliberately started to grow them. They weren't eaten in large quantities however and they were not worked much at all, rather the grains were simply broken down by rubbing them between two stones.

Although hunter gathers didn't have muesli, the contents of a box of muesli is often similar to the sort of things they would gather and preserve.

Reconstructed++Neolithic+tools+Museum+of+the+Palatinate,+Speyer.jpg

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bisto44 said:
Hi all

I am an insulin diabetic who suffered a heart attack in December 2011 and had 3 stents fitted. I have been overweight for many years and it was decided that I would benefit from a Gastric Bypass as there are still some issues with one of my arteries which will need further treatment at some stage.

After being referred to London for a Gastric Bypass, my surgery was delayed due to high sugar levels. My HbA1c at the beginning of February this year was 10.8. I knew that the only way I was going get this down was to go on a low carb regime. I have done this in the past and have lost 2-3 stone each time but it always increases again over a period of time.

However as a "means to an end" (getting the surgery needed) I decided to do it again to reduce my levels. I received my HbA1c result back today, and in 11 weeks I have reduced it from 10.8 down to 7.1 and also lost 1 1/4 stone (18 lb) !!

I am so happy with this result which now means my surgery can go ahead and I can look forward to a new beginning !!

Just wanted to share that to show that it can be done ( although its not always easy lol )

Many thanks

Tim

Hi guys

Just an update on my post above. I went back to the London Hospital yesterday and have now been cleared for surgery ! I managed to get my HbA1c down from 10.8 to 7.1 and have officially lost 22 lb's in 11 weeks ! Now looking forward to getting the surgery done.

Thans

Tim

dutch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has slowed but am still losing on average 1-2lb a week i started st 23st 10lb am now 21st 8lb in 9 wks..i used to avoid evetything brown now its everything white and cook everything from scratch ..Thanks for all the comments and encouragement

dutch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just an update to were i am up to my weight is now 21st 0 lb total loss of 38lb [2st 10 lb] ....I also have to thank yorksman for many a great recipe which have really helped especially the rye bread as was really missing the sarnies am also getting to grips with carb counting which is also helping weight loss...Thanks to everyone who has given me ideas and encouraged me along the way proves what a great site this is

John

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done, Dutch1! :clap: :thumbup: :D

Viv 8)

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Take care with losing weight especially if you are taking up exercise at the same time. Via WeightWatchers I lost 7 lbs and this was a tipping point in relation to bg control with my T2.Basically, having lost a load of belly fat and perhaps visceral fat clinging to my organs I have in recent weeks halved my intake of medication via lots of unexpected lows and quite a few hypos so take care.

nclemale

i am in similar situation . eating lots of takeaways etc .i have cut all that out. been to see dietican and she suggested a few things i do .for example cutting down on my meat intake. instead of 6 sausages with a meal only have 2 and bulk up with veg. something i have never really liked was broccili but i have started to mash it in to my mashed potatoes . bit of pepper on top and its lovely. i have slowly lost weight over the last 2 months . in which my dietican told me was better as its easier to maintain if you take your time instead of aiming for a great loss quickly. i have also took up cycling to work at the weekends weather permitting lol . and got myself a rowing machine. stick in there mate .

eemojohn258

Losing 20 lbs in 10 weeks is not difficult, you just need to start running 4 or 5 miles per day and walking in evening and maintain your healthy diets and skip heavy diets in dinner or avoid to eat junk foods, then i think its very easy because if you will burn more calories and earn less than you burn then you will lose your weight automatically.