Family Guy & Diabetes Jokes!

benhaigh10

Re: Family Guy & Diabetes Jokes!

I think people need to just stop finding reasons to have a moan about everything. At the end of the day, yes the jokes and digs might offend you but you don't have to watch it. It takes less than a second to press a button on the remote and change the channel.... And believe it or not one of the men who helped create family guy is a genuine type 1 diabetic not that that matters much

It's not a joke against diabetics. It's a joke about people with no self control or will power. The obese amputee diabetic is not a stereotypical diabetic, but a stereotypical person who has no sense of self love. The diabetes is simply a frame for the joke.

I have been type 1 for almost 50 years. I find it funny.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
All of the adult cartoons poke fun at some disabilities I've seen far worse on south park but its funny at times same with family Guy American Dad as a lot of members have said if u don't like it PUSH THAT BUTTON Btw I work on constuction sites the blokes can very cruel in there words but just poke fun back it works u feel better in yourself and u can have a very good laugh as they say site life will either make u or break u school yard rules spring to mind here comes the fat kid lol btw im big boned :lol:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

chilli_dawes

Just chill, it's funny and you shouldn't be so uptight that you can't laugh at your condition. Diabetes is hard but so what? Laugh at it and it's not so bad. Other alternative - don't watch it!

chris_plant1

I sit and watch it with my partner (we're gay, i'm white he's black, i have diabetes he doesn't, he's religious i'm not) and we laugh our asses off! We don't get offeneded by the gay jokes, the black jokes, the diabetes jokes or ANY of the jokes because it is comedy. The world is such a PC serious place we need something to make us laugh whether it be family guy or anything else. And if you feel that offended by it then watch countryfile or newsnight? :D

Reactions: 2 people

I love family guy and the diabetes jokes don't bother me, it's just part of the dialogue of a very un PC show. When you tune in you know what you are getting, so if you don't like it don't watch it. Having said that I would like to see other illnesses treated in the same way, but imagine the uproar if cancer was joked about? We need to break down a few barriers..............

Fellman

I haven't watched the programmes, and probably won't - they don't sound like my sort of thing.
But I do know about black humour.
I am recently Type2 diabetic because i have been a Dementia Caror for the last 10 years.
It has left me with many other serious health problems.
Black humour has helped me, and many other utterly stressed dementia carors, get through the relentless 24/7 pressures and lack of sleep.
At least I think it has, I'm not sure, I can't remember! :?

john25uk

I don't take them seriously to be honest its an animated tv series not real life so why should I care what they say and also remember watching American dad episode where stan said you have liarbetes you take insuliying and I laughed my head off completely :lol: cracked up so much I posted the quote on my facebook I see the funny side no need to take it seriously as its animated not real and not ment to come across that way

jolliehollie

Chill out guys!!

Do you laugh at the jokes at the expense of babies, ethnic minorities, sexism, sexual violence, disabilities and mental health as well as every other boundary pushed? Of course you do, and so do I as family guy is hilarious!

I think Seth McFarlane is a comedy genius and the fact any of you watch his shows is proof you do too! His whole idea is based on irony and it's meant to be shocking.
The internet would be full of people complaining if everyone he aims to offend was actually offended.

My boyfriend makes jokes about my diabetes so I mock his country accent, and that's why i'm not wallowing in self pity so get a sense of humour!!!!!

Mr Happy

There's an episode where they visit ground zero, some pretty offensive stuff in there. I rather liked it when Peter finds out that Stewie is missing and he says "great, now I will always associate this place with sadness"...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pedrograffix

Type of diabetes
Type 2

It is the makers of "Family Guy"s intention to trivialise all human issues in the pursuit of a "Laugh". Every user of this Forum, by definition, knows the seriousness of the different forms of this condition and it's impact on daily life for the victim and family. I find the continued reference to diabetese a little annoying and certainly "Ill Informed" However seen from a different perspective the more publicity Diabetese receives however infantile can only strengthen the awareness of the condition and improve the move for more research towards the long promised "Cure". If, by poking fun of us, it has this effect then all I can say to the makers of Family Guy is two things, (1) Keep up the good work and (2) You'll all be "First against the Wall when the Revolution comes"!

anne1938

Hi Laura Jay. I dont watch Family guy but I too get sick and tired of so many movies where this one or that is diagnosed with cancer and the family live in sadness and every time they die. What is wrong with these movie makers. Nothing is fatal today other than falling from a 20 metre building or being shot in the heart. or some other accident. Movie makers- we are sick of it. Joking about any illness causes distress.

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
0000000196.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

andyndee

I love family guy and I know will be considered sick but I laugh at all the diabetic jokes and I`ve been 1 since 1995, and to be honest the more people are reminded about diabetics the better

Reactions: 4 people

kreacher

What the hell is wrong with you, just be glad they mention Diabetes, it brings it into the minds of the watchers! I love family guy, I've had cancer, I'm overweight, I'm an amputee & I have diabetes.
the whole purpose of Cartoon comedy especially family guy, & the Simpsons is to make these problems part of society, not hidden, come on people "Get A Life" and keep it!

s.davies39

There is an Australian comedian who, like me , has had a leg amputated. The prosthesis and amputation is all part of his show and he refers to his magic leg . Family Guy and Peter Griffin ( the fat father who is probably an alcoholic and personality disorder ) I am a diabetic with leg gone , toes on other leg gone, kidneys not so good and heart and BP off the wall. At 60 years old I find Family Guy a great panacea and laughing at yourself is a tiny step towards self awareness. I prefer to moan about cruelty to children and Social Services closing day centers etc etc. Happy New Year to all diabetics , I look at my condition as punishment from God or is it Brian.....have a laugh

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Dont think Ive ever heard a joke that I thought was offensive, some can be in bad taste but arent they are just a coping mechanism that brings things out into the open, ironic more than sick perhaps?

Surely shows like Family Man are written to be offensive, question stereotypes and pushing boundaries if you dont get the joke or you dont like that kind of humour then dont watch it, I'm not a huge fan of Family Man but it always makes me chuckle when I do watch it, cant remember hearing diabetic jokes on it but I dont think it wouldn'tt offend me if I did.

Doesnt all comedy offend someone in some way?

The things that offend me are things like war and genocide, famine and greed, people who make millions from charities, hatred and intolerance and all forms of bullying however large or small.

ianjones73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seriously?!?!?!? I have had IDDM for over 16 years, as well as many other medical conditions. I control my condition well, but at the same time stay light hearted about it. Lighten up people. Diabetes is a serious condition, but my view is that I control my diabetes, it does not control me.

I love family guy, and the show is mean't to be tongue in cheek! If you don't like it, switch over. Next you'll be wanting to ban Easter because it involves chocolate!!!!!