Exercise - Help Please!

VickiT11979

I've just been on the Animas Sport & exercise weekend & it was great & I've learned lots!
A consultant called Dr Ian Gallen presented tons of scientific evidence & lots of his own experience working with Steve Redgrave when he was first diagnosed with type 1. He was told by every consultant he saw that his career was finished, but Dr Gallen worked intensively with him & over time they fine tuned his insulin & diet & the rest is history.

The basic message was that we're all slightly different & there's no "one size fits all" answer to everything, but he did say we should be reducing our basal 20-30min before exercise, not 1-2 hrs, which I had been.
He suggests reducing it to between 75% & 20% of your normal rate, then return to your usual rate maybe 20min before you stop exercising.
Some people continue to fat burn for longer time after exercise so some people actually need a higher basal rate for a short time afterwards, and some actually need to bolus to counteract this.

He says you shouldn't need to alter your meal bolus unless you eat less than 1.5hrs before exercise, and the amount you reduce by depends on how intensive & how long the exercise is - I think this stuff is on runsweet.co.uk anyway.

I followed these guidelines yesterday, kept my BG stable throughout exercise with no hypos, which I usually have, and no need for extra glucose during exercise. I did end up high afterwards but hadn't increased my basal then & I'll try that next time :D .

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Sounds good Vicki, glad it was a good weekend and you managed to exercise without a hypo. I'm sure you'll combat the post exercise high soon, just keep trying a different thing as the consultant mentioned. I exercise within an hour of eating so I find halving my breakfast bolus is the only way of keeping me hypo free lol as you said no one size fits all

hails

Exactly same problem for me. I dont want the calories before I exercise as I feel its defeating the point of exercising to burn cals but even lowering mine down to 20% didnt work. Intend to try again soon but in the meantime I am gonna eat chips :)