Can people explain how they feel during hi's and lo's?

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
Low: I feel shaky, hungry sometimes, lightheaded and dizzy if very low. I get quite snappy until my blood comes back up.
High: tired, thirsty and dry mouth. If I get ketones I have a faint metallic taste in my mouth, I get confused, feel sick and breathless and have to urinate a lot.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

Trinity_32 said:
Low: I feel shaky, hungry sometimes, lightheaded and dizzy if very low. I get quite snappy until my blood comes back up.
High: tired, thirsty and dry mouth. If I get ketones I have a faint metallic taste in my mouth, I get confused, feel sick and breathless and have to urinate a lot.

With hypos, I get shaky, weak and 'sparkly' vision.

laurabethxo

High - very lethargic, thirsty, nauseous, dry mouth and throat, moody, a bit of a headache.
Low - shaky, weak, blurred vision, tired, quiet, faint, panicky, hungry.
Both are horrible and I wouldn't wish either on anyone.

teasytux

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, I know its a few months since asked but...

Hypos - Start yawning like crazy, blurred vision, lethargic, waffle nonsense, bad headache after - That's now, I am 42. When I was younger - arms flew about, legs collapsed, sight would go, angry, confused, talking utter nonsense, bit tongue, black out -felt just about awful and a stinking headache afterwards.

One time at 17, first day of a new job and wanted to impress, I completely forgot to have my mid-morning snack. I was looking for some print materials and had to climb shelving, up about 20 feet, could feel hypo coming on. I managed to get mostly down before I blacked out. I came too with my boss, his boss, the warehouse manager and the personnel manager in a circle around me propping me up and trying to administer glucose. I could sort of hear being spoken to and my vision was about gone. My loss of arm control was bad back then and flew all over the place, grabbing at the personnel managers bosom, ripping her blouse off in the process and could vaguely hear her saying ooh Simon!!! Although this was not very funny at the time, many apologies to her in the car ride back from the hospital, she was very understanding and we had a laugh about it.

Any one else had an embarrassing hypo??

Highs - Feeling like a bag of sugar been swallowed, sweet taste round mouth, eyes on stalks, thirrrrrrsty, needing loo, wanting to sleep. That was when I was younger. Now, I don't get highs really, the occasional with a sweet feeling around mouth and feeling terrible.

I'm 42, been diabetic 41 years and have a type 1 brittle classification. Been using an Animas insulin pump the past 3 years (2020 and vibe). Last Hba1C was 6.2 (April 2013) Just gotten a rollicking from my consultant for being under 6.5 to 7.5 :( mainly due to 3. lows. Have gastroperisis, autonomic-neuropathy, peripheral, retinopathy - now background, had nephropathy, peripheral less but keep having staff infections on lower legs. Hands are now arthropathy classed - a mix of arthritic neuropathy with lumps on joints. Real painful I tell you.

Hope the hypo information helps you.

Best Wishes
Tux
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's always enough time to check your blood sugar!

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hardly have lows.
Highs. Headache,sleepy just not feeling right also hunger.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Had a high today slept for 3hours and I still feel tired as if not slept yawning tears running from eyes because still so tired but time is 4 50and do not want to go to sleep as might not sleep tonight

Zoe666

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi, I am hypoglycaemic, not diabetic. When I have a low the first thing I notice is that my limbs start to feel cold, like I am chilled to the bone. Then my stomach starts to hurt and my head ache. Then I will start to feel tired and weak, and I will get the shakes. The longer it goes on the harder it is to think or move. It is relieved by something high in sugar immediately (Ribena is good) and something starchy to follow.

cherylp

Hi

My heart starts to race and sometimes I havent a clue what Im doing or can't talk. I cant even show anyone my medic alert bracelet. My last hypo coming back from a run I was walking on my hands and knees not knowing what I was doing. Thankfully a friend spotted me and fed me well. Very scary indeed.

At first diagnosis of diabates my hypos would be a a numb tongue, along with numb buttocks and I would get triple vision.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I get to around 4.5 I start to feel weird almost impossible to describe .once it starts dropping a little lower I develop shakes in my hand then I start to get the cold sweats . if it goes below around 3.0 my heart starts racing racing though this may also be panic.

I caught myself at 2.3 once and had a full panic attack ended up drinking my weight in lucosade

I'm a little less sensitive to high. When I'm about 13 I get the same werid feeling I get from going low any higher than that o start to feel like I could through up and find it impossible to look at a TV or computer screen

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and yes high or low I turn into one grumpy guy! Trust me you do not want to cross me near either of these events

LittleWolf

High

Hot, cranky, tired, racing heart. When really high, nausea. Very often I just fall asleep..

Low

Confused, cranky, racing heart, fuzzy feeling in my head, shakiness, spacing out, slurred speech, dizziness, blurriness around edges of my vision, vomiting. Funny feeling in my chest?

DAC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swede
I had a hypo many years ago I will never forget!!
It was a hot August Sunday afternoon and I'd bought the kids a large metal climbing frame. Halfway through putting it up in the garden I could feel that I needed something sweet. At that point I suddenly felt that I was 'at one' with Nature. I felt that I could understand what the birds were singing to each other, the insects were trying to communicate...even the plants seemed to be 'talking' to me. It was the weirdest experience I've ever had and whilst eating a Mars bar (ooh it WAS lovely) I knew that I would soon lose the feelings I had, and being reluctant for it to end, SLOWLY savoured the chocolate. It was terrific and never to be repeated. I'd better leave it there before the men in white coats appear at my door. I actually had a similar experience whilst watching the Terminator on TV one night. My low blood sugar 'enabled' me to be in it, albeit in my sugar starved brain!! After 40+ years of type 1 Diabetes I've had many 'memorable' experiences. But very few beyond my control I'm glad to say.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm high I sometimes feel tired and irritable but sometimes I can feel really hyperactive and can't stay still and I'm such a chatterbox but I talk about everything all in the same sentence!

When I'm hypo I sweat buckets and am really clammy. Depending how low I am I slur my speech and feel like I'm watching myself as my brain tells me I'm low but my body just does its own thing, if I'm only low by about 3.0 then I feel tired and a little anxious!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
DAC1 said:
I had a hypo many years ago I will never forget!!
It was a hot August Sunday afternoon and I'd bought the kids a large metal climbing frame. Halfway through putting it up in the garden I could feel that I needed something sweet. At that point I suddenly felt that I was 'at one' with Nature. I felt that I could understand what the birds were singing to each other, the insects were trying to communicate...even the plants seemed to be 'talking' to me. It was the weirdest experience I've ever had and whilst eating a Mars bar (ooh it WAS lovely) I knew that I would soon lose the feelings I had, and being reluctant for it to end, SLOWLY savoured the chocolate. It was terrific and never to be repeated. I'd better leave it there before the men in white coats appear at my door. I actually had a similar experience whilst watching the Terminator on TV one night. My low blood sugar 'enabled' me to be in it, albeit in my sugar starved brain!! After 40+ years of type 1 Diabetes I've had many 'memorable' experiences. But very few beyond my control I'm glad to say.

Well now that's strange ... because I've also had that 'at one with the universe' experience many years ago whilst waiting on an underground platform for a train! I understood EVERYTHING. Life, the universe, God, the cosmos ... in a split second but felt like the experience lasted for hours. I've never forgotten it and I still understand how everything connects throughout the cosmos and now ... I work in a psychiatric hospital!!!

I've also had other 'memorable' experiences, actually found myself in the middle of Bold Street, Liverpool, stepped onto the road and found myself surrounded by horsedrawn hackney carriages and people in strange clothes like they'd just stepped out of a Quality Street box. It was totally surreal and I thought I'd walked onto a film set and started apologising but no-one could see me. I took a step back onto the pavement and was immediately back in present day. I never told ANYONE about that experience for fear they'd think I was psychotic and then one day I mentioned it to a friend who told me I wasn't the first person to experience that on this particular street, it's known as 'The Liverpool Timeslip' or 'Bold Street Timeslip' and many a strange thing has happened to people exactly where it happened to me.

Sooooo ... maybe there's more to low blood sugar than meets the eye ... or maybe we're just psychic. :think: All I know is ... I can't change ANYTHING I experienced, I know what I know and I know I learned a lot about how the universe works in those brief 'shifts of consciousness'. :D

jeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls, Doctors who don't have a clue about maintaining diabetes, Right wing politicians
Feeling low rarely - inability to concentrate on things requiring deep thought. I have done physical tasks down to 2.0. On previous synthetic rubbish insulins made by Eli Lilly, when they did away with animal insulins, I had changes in colour in my vision. Greens turned mauve and reds turned orange. I am pretty well perfectly controlled on my hypurin and lantus almost as close as I used to be on soluble and protamin zinc.

Feeling high also rarely - get angry quickly, can get thirsty, I am argumentative, looking for a fight. This tends to happen if I am really stressed or sickening for something.

My AIC is 5.4 to 5.7 with lows from 3.0 when I function perfectly fine to highs of 7.9.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tired and grumpy either way. In otherwords totally ****!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment feel tired a lot at all sugar levels, when high just more tired, struggle even more to do things and generally feel off colour.

When I had a hypo yesterday, feeling confused, hard to concentrate, very sweaty and had a real case of the shakes, it snook up on me as was late eating lunch and filling in forms where the confusion started. Thought I was just under 4.0 as around there I start to get these feeling though a lot milder than yesterdays hypo. Checked my BS and shock horror it was 2.9 no wonder I was feeling funny. A few emergency sweets and a snack and was back up to 7.5 with an 1/2 hour.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know I've previously replied but as of the last few days during hyper's I get a really bad headache pain in my right temple and when im hypo I feel kinda giddy and really feel rough it after snd I dont like it lol think k neec to discuss this with my gp.

Kelly =)

DUNNOCK

Hi, The worse hypos I get is when I am in bed, in the day or night, I can wake up but unable to move, the door & windows seem so weird, I cannot understand anything, I am unable to move just move my head, I am trapped, this always seems to happen when I am on my own. If no one returns, it will take me hours to eventually move, I do not panic because I do not understand what is going on.
I had a bad hypo about 3 weeks ago, I was on my laptop, a wave of panic drifted over me, I felt I was going to die, panic set in, I shouted my wife who gave me Lucozade, the panic stayed with me for a while, I knew I was safe, I felt **** for a good while after.
Many of the symptons described here I have had over the years.
Today my blood sugar is checked regular, also during the night, this does take some worry away.
But we will all suffer in one way or another while we are Diabetic, myself I have been a Diabetic 36 years.
Be good, if you cannot be good be careful!!!!

LittleWolf

Aaaack. I've had many real hypos early on in this testing business. Mostly reactive ones I think.

Now I'm getting false ones if my blood sugar goes under 6.5-6

Had a naughty cookie snack after a tiring 7 hour journey home and shot up to 9.9. Ok I would have been that high even if I ate something sensible so not beating myself up about it.

Tossing and turning all night feeling clammy and nauseous and heart racing and shocked to see my BG at 5 for the first time in a very long time.

In the meantime still waiting on diagnosis. Very frustrated.