Animas Vibe, Medtronic or Accuchek Combo?

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the info kangoo, but unfortunately won't be able to attend the conference.

Yes, will be choosing the Accu-Chek Combo pump, as it looks the best fit for me, out of the three available.

I really like the idea of the remote, and as there's no chance of funding CGM with the other two, that just leaves the Accu-Chek.

Ideally I'd like the OmniPod, but that isn't a choice.

Type 1 since 1969.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Accu-Check and I'm very pleased.

I also self fund the Dexcom G4 and this is amazing.

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having been on a pump for only 4 months, and although I think my combo has changed my life, I have put on a little health weight, have energy and drive, and no more mood swings, the point I'm trying to make is that you need to forget the pump type, and focus on the infusion set. Everyone I's different so again no right or wrong, but once you wear a pump its just a pump, think about:

The depth of the infusion set
How you insert it
The size of the sticky plaster
How often you swim
The types of clothes you wear

I cannot stress, I thought the main thing was to choose my pump, it's not, they all do the same thing. If you check out every manufacturer website no one shows any real pictures or actively talks about infusion sets, unless you drill into the web page. Please don't be blinded by glossy adverts and think about what you insert into your skin.

Hope this helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news! Got the go-ahead for a pump today.

Will do one day of training on 12th June, and will start pumping on 17th June.

Have been asking to be put on a pump for years, so am a *very* happy guy. :O)

Type 1 since 1969.

kangoo

Brilliant! You'll be on the pump before me. I have training early July but won't get "plugged in" til end of July due to staff holidays at the clinic.

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kangoo, the pump will be a great start to the summer, assuming we're going to get one this year!

Type 1 since 1969.

ingrid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done all you getting your pumps, it's so exciting!!!! I've been on an Animas Vibe for nearly a year and am seriously in love with it. I was given choice of any available pumps but chose the Vibe because of its very large, easy to read screen and its small neat size (though as such it has the smaller sized reservoir of 200ml so if your insulin needs are on the high side it may not be the best choice, but for most people 200ml is perfectly fine). I mostly wear mine on a SpiBelt (available from funkypumpers) around my waist and so the tubing is hidden inside my clothes & doesn't get caught up, and I feel is easily accessible - just reach to the belt & pull it out - and also doesn't get caught when I erm go to the loo as everything is above waist level!! You don't really need to access the pump that frequently anyway, only when giving a bolus each time you eat, the rest of the time it just chugs along doing its life-saving stuff :) I also find it pretty easy to detach and reattach the pump for short periods, like when getting dressed or showering.
I liked the idea of having a remote hand device to access a pump but felt the hand held bluetooth device of the Accu Chek was big & heavy, and I could easily imagine never being able to find it when I needed it, though at least you can still use the Combo pump directly in this case, unlike the Omnipod, which if you misplace or lose the handset leaves you unable to bolus or adjust doses or check blood sugars! Depends on your personal needs really, if you're the sort of person who misplaces things easily, or like me, already hates having to carry so many gadgets around and doesn't want to have yet another. My little Vibe is always there on my body, no need to fumble around in my bag to find a handset. Well, that was important to me, but may not be to others.
I also do yoga and wanted a pump I could detach for short periods, which you can't with the Omnipod, if you remove it, you have to put a completely new one on, which seems a waste to me (of NHS £££) if it's something you'd do on a regular basis.

All the pros & cons of different pumps...still soooooo much better than all the cons of MDI and you (hopefully) will get much better control and have a better quality of life on a pump. I wouldn't go back for anything. And in the end, the pumps are mostly very similar, it's unlikely you'll feel you made a 'wrong' choice, I agree that getting the right infusion set for you is more important and often not addressed sufficiently at some clinics - I'm experimenting with different ones right now, having had to take initiative and fight a bit to get other sets to try. But get used to the pump first I'd say!

I've learned a lot from the Insulin Pumpers UK forum - recommend joining that too, as well as here of course!

And an organisation called INPUT exist specifically to further pump access in UK, including choice of pump if that's an issue, though it is still too much a post code lottery. But they're good for advice too on pump access.

Hope some of that helps!

I feel so lucky to have a pump :)))

kangoo

Good day in Inverness. Chose a Medtronic in the end, like the look of the Animas but felt happier with menus on the Veo. DSN and I playing safe with 300 unit version but bulk buying means it only comes in black.

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great to hear you had a good day kangoo, and you've chosen a pump.
Were there many folk there, and how was the insulin pump workshop?

Type 1 since 1969.

emmie

Hi there

I've got the combo and have done for 3 and half years now. I wasn't given the choose but I would have loved to have gone onto the Medtronic veo, with the option of CGM sensors.

Like others have said pumps are so much better than injections but I do wish some trusts would give patient choice rather than just going for the cheapest.

X

Sent from Emmies iPhone

kangoo

SpikyMike said:
Great to hear you had a good day kangoo, and you've chosen a pump Were there many folk there, and how was the insulin pump workshop?

I'd say about 60 people there, plus the organising team. Only 4 people made the trip from Caithness, thought that was a little disappointing.

Pump workshop seemed more for those who might be interested in a pump, rather than people already part-way down the road to getting one.

It was great to see 6 people get medals for living with type 1 for 50 years. :clap:

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
kangoo said:
It was great to see 6 people get medals for living with type 1 for 50 years. :clap:

That's excellent. Good on them. So, just another 6 years, and I can get a medal! ;O)

Type 1 since 1969.

SpikyMike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DSN emailed yesterday to say my pump had arrived, and I also received delivery of a large box, with a years supply of pump consumables. Not long to go now. :O)

Type 1 since 1969.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I've been on a pump since November last year and like most other people was given the choice of 3. I was hooked initially on the Animas but my PCT didn't have the up to date model and the bluetooth did it for me for Accuchek. Have to say its been life changing. I went to my first pump class yesterday when there were about 30 people attending and the reps from Animas, Roche and Medtronic, it was so useful I would recommend to everyone. It was so useful to hear stories from other pump users.

Kimnc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son is just waiting for his pump to arrive. He has an appointment for Jul 25 to start using it. I am slightly confused though as he had been told that for the first 2 weeks he will have saline instead of insulin flowing through it. Is this normal. I ask because my mum had a lump and when sheets fîtted with it they started her straight on insulin.
My son is 12 and was diagnosed aged 2. He was going for Medtronic but after looking into it with a bug more depth he has chosen Accu check.