Is marijuana good for diabetes?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
foreverdelayed said:
Marijuana is not a class A drug. There is no evidence that it destroys brain cells, evidence is actually to the contrary. Further to your point on lung cancer, evidence shows that those who smoke cannabis with tobacco actually have a lower risk of getting lung cancer than those who smoke just tobacco. Head and neck cancer risk is reduced by 61% also. Keep em coming!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

We know someone locally who has been a cannabis user since quite an early age and there does seem to be a loss of mental capacity.

Of course, it is impossible to say what he would have been like without the cannabis but he is certainly not a shining recommendation for long term use.

As with everything, moderation is the key and individuals are , after all, individuals so some are likely to react badly to any form of drug as we see from the reported side effects of common medications.

If it reduces the cancer risk of tobacco then you would have thought the big cancer stick makers would have been keen to adopt it and expand their market to challenge the alcohol industry.

However reducing risk is not removing risk.

Cheers

LGC

foreverdelayed

Good point and I'm sure many have tried but the alcohol industry is very powerful. Just look at Scotland's attempt to push through the minimum pricing of alcohol. It was challenged in court by the whiskey traders association! No other industry has that kind of power and influence and would struggle to even get that far. I know of "someone" who has smoked daily for over 15 years and they are up at 5am everyday and has a very well paying job and is highly respected in his field. He has a wife and two kids and is in the middle of renovating a property. Just like alcohol, if its consumed responsibly, it need not affect your life at all, but like alcohol, if you overcook it, you'll suffer. I just don't understand why its socially acceptable to drink yourself into oblivion but there is a stigma attached to smoking weed. And a question towards the previous post. This individual you speak of, what do you think would have become of him had he been an alcoholic?

LittleWolf

Yup, cannabis is being researched for the development of Alzheimer's drugs.

Cannabis oil has been shown to halt the progression/shrink tumors through both ingesting it and topical application. Regular hemp oil is good for your skin and hair anyway. I use hemp oil on my hair and people always comment how soft it is and it smells nice.

I find it's a fantastic decongestant (I have had terrible allergies since 14)

The culture, crime and 'glamor' surrounding illegal drugs wouldn't exist if it wasn't something you had to obtain through the black market. The ridiculously high THC super strains that cause mental problems are developed as a result of competition between breeders and the popularity rises as competing dealers push them. They can also carry less product and charge more for it lessening risk but increasing profit for the dealer. If people were allowed. To have a couple of plants in their back yard people wouldnt be shooting eachother over your mellow smoke that is your business and your business only.

LittleWolf

Actually LittleGrayCat, Marlboro have applied for a patent for cannabis cigarettes. They are waiting for the government to give the OK then tax the hell out of it.

But I wouldnt smoke those either. Boxed cigarettes are sprayed with a lot of additives. I can't stand them. Natural hand rolling tobacco is a lot safer.

foreverdelayed

The pro cannabis political party, clear, are actually promoting "tokepure" an initiative designed to warn people of the dangers of smoking with tobacco. I find it quite funny that there's an initiative to warn of the dangers of a legal product people consume with an illegal product.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I dreamt I had Oreo biscuits laces with cranberry and marijuana.

LittleWolf

Cranberry? Well I do like the combination of chocolate and fruit... Fats are needed with THC but not so many sugars XD

My space cakes are relatively bland, strong and small for dosing carefully and to avoid the temptation of just snacking/binging on them.

You can also make cannabis butter and use that in your savoury cooking. I tend to only use it before bed when I don't have anything important to do and mess taken already, plus it's a sleep aid, so I'd say cook with the ganja for your dinner/evening meal and hopefully you will be satisfied enough to avoid smacking before bed.

Well, you'll likely be too sound asleep to snack lol

A little bit goes a long way. I also recommend edibles for inflammation/long term pain relief. The effects of eating cannabis can be long and intense (if you overdo it)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
stanno69 said:
and you have a higher risk of developing lung cancer than a tobacco smoker
That's only if you smoke the cannabis. If you were to vapourise or cook with it then that's out of the equation. Most people also tend to smoke cannabis mixed with tobacco which really is worse for you than smoking cigarettes alone.

LittleGreyCat said:
We know someone locally who has been a cannabis user since quite an early age and there does seem to be a loss of mental capacity.

Of course, it is impossible to say what he would have been like without the cannabis but he is certainly not a shining recommendation for long term use.

As with everything, moderation is the key and individuals are , after all, individuals so some are likely to react badly to any form of drug as we see from the reported side effects of common medications.
As you said, it can have an effect on people and the research I've read all seems to be quite foggy. It's not clear whether cannabis actually kills brain cells or has an effect on personality. I think a lot of it depends on the individual and how susceptible they are to mental disorders such as schizophrenia or depression.

LittleWolf said:
Actually LittleGrayCat, Marlboro have applied for a patent for cannabis cigarettes. They are waiting for the government to give the OK then tax the hell out of it.
The US government also own several patents for medical use of cannabis. I think that's enough to show that it can be used effectively to medicate patients.

LittleWolf said:
My space cakes are relatively bland, strong and small for dosing carefully and to avoid the temptation of just snacking/binging on them.

You can also make cannabis butter and use that in your savoury cooking. I tend to only use it before bed when I don't have anything important to do and mess taken already, plus it's a sleep aid, so I'd say cook with the ganja for your dinner/evening meal and hopefully you will be satisfied enough to avoid smacking before bed.

Well, you'll likely be too sound asleep to snack lol

A little bit goes a long way. I also recommend edibles for inflammation/long term pain relief. The effects of eating cannabis can be long and intense (if you overdo it)
I've only ever tried edibles once and that was after I had quit smoking cannabis for my own personal reasons. I'm not sure if it's because my tolerance had dipped, but I pretty much couldn't function and just fell asleep watching Friends. I have to say though, I've never felt more relaxed and at ease. I can see why they're recommended for people with sleep disorders and chronic pain.

Also, for the record everyone... I don't indulge in any of this anymore and haven't done for a long time now. :lol:

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
foreverdelayed said:
Most people I know who smoke have university degrees, families, businesses. I'm not doubting that unemployed people smoke too but its not confined, its just what the media have led you to believe. And I've never known or heard of anyone committing a crime for some weed. Heroin, crack, alcohol - yes. And most crime I see stems from organised gangs and the law is perfect for them to exploit. That's why regulation would improve a horrible situation. If someone wants to take drugs, they will, but they could be taking anything. At least with regulation you cut the risk factor and open up counselling and advice. Saying " drugs are bad m'kay" is just burying your head in the sand. I urge you to do some research on cannabis from cited sources before you start generalising.

Amen to that. :)

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
Mr Happy said:
Apologies for basing my stereotypes on fact, drugs account for a ridiculous percentage of crime in this country and is a favourite pass time of those currently 'seeking' employment...

Fact? It's marijuana, not meth. I used to be like you, and then I did a lot of research and all. Just be open-minded.

LittleWolf

I seriously think less kids would binge drink and engage in violent crime/antisocial behavior if they stayed indoors with friends and had a joint instead.

Anti-cannabis propaganda in Australia caused a rise in Ecstasy use because kids thought it was safer... when it can kill you on your first try (no offense to responsible ecstasy users?) I don't know if I'm a minority here but I don't like booze and I don't like drugs.

I like weed though...

I have killer endo pain (surgery is in June!) but if I can smoke/eat it I can, you know, actually walk.

col79

I will be honest, I smoke weed everyday and have done for many years, In my eyes for diabetics it is alot better than alchohol and other drugs, iam not saying that everyone should have a vice but most people do and that is mine. I would not know if it helps my disbetses as i have been smoking it before i was diagnosed.

I belive and that it dosnt cause as much problems in health and socity than Alchohol!

what a good topic this is.....;)

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
col79 said:
I will be honest, I smoke weed everyday and have done for many years, In my eyes for diabetics it is alot better than alchohol and other drugs, iam not saying that everyone should have a vice but most people do and that is mine. I would not know if it helps my disbetses as i have been smoking it before i was diagnosed.

I belive and that it dosnt cause as much problems in health and socity than Alchohol!

what a good topic this is.....;)

True. Same here. Hehe :)

NorthCountryMaid

Given the problems caused by obesity, it's astonishing that sweets aren't banned - and that's before you start in on diabetes.

I have MS as well as diabetes and ME as well. Something that helped with the pain and the sleep problems and the twitching - well, that would be really nice.

Meanwhile my doctor prescribes statins, which we now know to have long-term hazards, but is unhappy with me using Neurofen plus, because of the codeine and because she doesn't like compound drugs. I take it all the same, because it does help the pain when things get bad. But I can't see that cannabis is much worse that some other products available over-the-counter and I'm **** sure it's less dangerous than some of the things which doctors routinely prescribe to people with serious medical conditions. (Look at the known risks of some of the new MS oral drugs)

The point is that we judge cannabis differently because it's also a "recreational" drug. If it wasn't fun to use, then it would by now be part of the pharmacopoeia - to be used with caution, but prescribed for a significant number of pain, sleep and neurological problems. And, after suitable medical trials (which would take years) for some diabetic problems as well.

LittleWolf

I have to second that one on over-the-counter products ESPECIALLY painkillers.

I am routinely prescribed strong opiates for endometriosis pain amongst other things. I could easily abuse them like the millions who are addicted to them but thankfully I never will. I end up with internal bleeding or vomit like crazy when I take them

Cannabis WAS part of the pharmacopoeia until 1937, then they decided that the timber and synthetic fiber industry had too much contest from industrial hemp and only ethnic minorities and fornicators smoked marijuana...

In certain US states cannabis is available to medical patients but at inflated prices. Pharmaceutical companies are developing all sorts of drugs from cannabis for pain relief, alzheimer's and such but products like Marinol and Sativex deemed safe to prescribe have been reported to produce scary side effects. These companies just want to monopolize ganja and make money off of the MMJ movement, regardless of people's health.

The natural herb in its raw and organic form is safest...

So I've not had much sleep and been in alot of pain in the last 62 hours, having been working my tail off at university. I just picked up an ounce of blue cheese and have to say, it is a fantastic one for relaxation, positive/creative thinking and pain relief. It will definitely be my go-to bedtime smoke.

I highly recommend indica dominant strains for therapeutic use (NorthCountryMaid). Sativas are more for recreation.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's awesome how the attitude of users of this forum has changed towards cannabis over the years. I've posted about it a few times over the years, and at the start many of the posts were deleted immediately.

It's great that we're actually discussing it like responsible adults. The posts that are totally against it are in the minority. I think this is evidence that members of this site (in general) are becoming more objective, and doing plenty of their OWN research.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
For a start off it's illegal and secondly addictive. If you have a job this could be the beginning of a downward spiral.

Be careful.

Mart.

foreverdelayed

Agree with patch totally. We are breaking the taboo. Its important to have open discussions. I want to compare the banning and restricting of substances with the old disclaimers that channel 4 used to screen before late night movies. As a ten year old boy, my instinct was to watch it. I didn't think that I'd be best turn over for fear of being influenced. Drugs, alcohol and, more so as time goes on, tobacco are all categorised in the same vain by policy. This then manifests itself in society as being "a little bit naughty" and holds an attraction to that ten year old boy I was talking about. Drugs are less prevalent in countries with liberated attitudes on the issue. Its time this country took drugs reform seriously for the greater good. The medicinal use of cannabis is well documented for many an ailment however is categorised with hard drugs and those who have tried it would agree that it doesn't belong there. It doesn't even belong in the same category as tobacco. I'd say somewhere between coffee and chocolate. And and as we're all on restricted diets around here......

PS Thanks mart. You may be misled but your hearts in the right place. Stay safe buddy! Don't talk to strangers etc etc

Mr Happy

I love the way that those who think it is bad have obviously not done any research. Illegal drugs cause a great deal of crime in this country and the intellect of the average pot head isn't something to brag about.

Sorry I'm out!