Study on grilled/fried food

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I came across this in a magazine and wanted to know of anyone knows anything about it or if there is anything in it.

"Recent study findings from the University of Illinois show evidence that cooking methods using high temperatures, like grilling and frying, could be particularly risky for people with diabetes. They produce 'advanced glycation end products (AGEs)' - harmful compounds that may play a role in the development of diabetes-related complications. AGEs are produced in foods, especially those exposed to high temperatures, and are responsible for giving steaks charred grill marks and brownies their crispy edges. Animal based foods that have high fat and protein are typically AGE rich to begin with and more likely to form additional AGEs when cooked at high temperatures. On the other hand, vegetables, fruits, wholegrain and milk have relatively few AGEs when cooked"

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

NorthCountryMaid

When DH has a problem with his computer, he starts grumbling, "Back to the quill pen!"

This sort of info brings on a similar reaction in me - I start saying, "Organic steamed broccoli and tap water!" It's a litany for what's "safe" and "environmentally sound."

And if anyone tries to tell me that there are serious health risks to broccoli, I may just throw a tantrum. :x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
AGES (Advanced glycation end-product) are formed within the body, they are involved in ageing and are implicated as a cause of imflammation and a variety of conditions such as cancers, cvd, alzheimers, neuropathy and retinopathy. Glycation occurs when a protein or a lipid bonds with a sugar. The iron in Red blood cells can be glycated, (hence HbA1c: glycated haemoglobin) but glycation occurs elsewhere in the body. It is a 'normal' process, (no-one has an HbA1c of 0%!) but hyperglycaemia leads to high glycation.

Foods are glycated by a process known as the Maillard reaction which occurs when sugars are cooked with proteins and fats., browning is 'evidence' of glycation. (However, caramelisation isn't strictly the same thing since it technically only uses sugar)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramelization

The big point is whether AGES from ingested food are absorbed as such and then do harm .
There was one paper in 2007 that said that it did

Thermal processing of food results in the formation of various novel compounds, among others advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs). AGEs result from nonenzymatic glycation reactions between reducing sugars and free amino groups of proteins, peptides, or amino acids. Due to their potential noxious effects, alimentary AGEs are also called glycotoxins. This review provides a summary of the available evidence on the health effects of exaggerated intake of thermally treated food. Data from experimental studies in rodents and from clinical studies in healthy volunteers and in patients suffering from selected diseases in which AGEs are of pathogenetic importance (diabetes, chronic renal failure) are summarized. It is concluded that, an exaggerated intake of thermally processed foods may exert in vivo diabetogenic and nephrotoxic effects, induce low-grade inflammation, enhance oxidative stress, and promote atherosclerosis
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 5/abstract

and an opposing one which said that it didn't
In vivo, advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) are linked to various diseases, particularly those associated with diabetes. AGEs are also formed when many foods are thermally processed. The extent to which dietary AGEs are absorbed by the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and their possible role in the onset and promotion of disease are currently of considerable interest. This paper reviews information that supports the argument that dietary AGEs are not a risk to human health

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract

I found a full text review by the author of the second paper (2009) . Its a fairly brief review.
http://nrl.northumbria.ac.uk/3025/1/Ame ... rticle.pdf

There are lots of more recent papers on the subject. I doubt there is consensus. I notice though there are also lots of papers about phytochemicals and foodstuffs that may inhibit AGE formation. It's a very active research topic.

L

Luna21

It'll be bad for you this week and good for you next year, probably!

I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this research, and continue to enjoy my BBQ's! :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My take on this is:
no-one really knows much about what constitutes an ideal human diet, so they have to keep inventing stuff. the scarier the better. Some foods that have been used for generations are "discovered to be harmful or dangerous".
What made anyone do this dubious research in the first place?
Hana

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
hanadr said:
My take on this is:
no-one really knows much about what constitutes an ideal human diet, so they have to keep inventing stuff. the scarier the better. Some foods that have been used for generations are "discovered to be harmful or dangerous".
What made anyone do this dubious research in the first place?
Hana
Students have got to do research on something, & publication is far more important than any significance of the research.

Thanks Phoenix. Those papers (I haven't & won't look at) indicate that students do research to support an idea.

The problem is, of course, that isolating a single food type for dietary research purposes is almost impossible. It can be done with food groups (carb, fat & protein) but grilled, fried, & burnt - difficult to blame a method of cooking.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's all pretty interesting.

What's the verdict? Can we still have our steak charred or not?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
What's the verdict? Can we still have our steak charred or not?

No you have to eat it raw Patch :twisted:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Eat BBQ any way you want, just down it with a decent red, vodka, or whisky ! don't listen to the idiots !

Keep calm, eat sat fat, red meat, and carry on !

Turned out nice again !

Superhic

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah Man does that mean I can't have another beautiful juicy gaucho rib eye beef sandwich cooked over coals at grillstock in Manchester next month???

The one I had at grillstock in Bristol last weekend was soooooo amazing it's worth the 2 hour drive to manc land alone!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App