Menstraul Problems and Metformin

flashsusie

I am newly diagnosed Type 2 and have had my first period since being diagnosed and starting 50mg of Metformin twice daily. I have noticed that this month my period is a lot heavier than normal. Infact quite a bit more than I would be used to. Can Metformin affect your cycle and blood loss? I dont want to worry the GP if this is normal. As I am new I guess my body will take a while to adjust to things?

Just a bit worried as being newly diagnosed its a lot of info to take on board. :?

Geocacher

You should discuss that with your GP, it may be that you have undiagnosed PCOS and that the metformin is 'normalising' your hormone levels as well as lowering your blood sugar.

Many people with PCOS are also T2 and many people who are T2 also have PCOS. Metfromin is a common treatement for both of them.

cherylle

hiya i had the same problem i was told i was type 2 in january i hadnt seen a period in 18 month i didnt worry because i put it down to the menopause but i had only been on metformim a month and my periods were back i spoke to my d.n and she said it was my hormones since being on metformim i have had alot of ups and down but i feel alot better.i hope this helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

flashsusie

Thanks everyone for you advice. I will mention to my GP about the possibility of PSO. I am 49 and never had children out of choice not because I couldn't! I just cannot believe how much better I feel since starting the Metformin. I did not realise just how ill I was feeling. I put it down to the day to day life stresses and a stressful job.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's nothing. I've been 'on' for 12 weeks now lol nurse just says it's the side effect of the implant I have. Am on 3 types of contraception at the moment. Depo, mini pill and implant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App