mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mart, if it's easier, just call me May lol ! Nice discussion BTW with very good points for and against. Interesting.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
martwolves said:
Forever,everdelayed :) , I may be wrong, but random drug-screening is instant, right here right now. I think cannabis residue shows in your system for approx 2 months. Safety critical roles on the railway are drivers, signallers, maintenance staff, controllers, route planners amongst others. If ANY of these were drunk or high I would never get on board a train again and I do so daily from wolves to brum, london, manchester and liverpool. I agree that certain professions have less or little civic responsibility. I feel bad about posting a negative response, but it is my own view and many will disagree which is their human right. I answered an open question with my own insular experience, which in hindsight, I perhaps would have been wiser not to. I have no enmity towards you or others and if you are a manics fan, I am too. Seen them a few times and they are still conveying their own powerful, often contrary views to the masses. I don't just go along with everyone else, I give honest, transparent feedback that people can give or take as they choose. Opinions are like bumholes sometimes, everu has one, but it's not always wise to air in public. ;) thanks for your reply - I appreciate it.

Mart
I definitely think you've got it right here. In your career, being under the influence of drugs can be potentially disastrous - same in many machine-based jobs. It's just not worth the risk! I have a good friend who works for Caterpillar and has seen people get picked out for random drug screening (mostly on 21st April, go figure :lol:) and get suspended for showing cannabis in their system even though they weren't high at the time. On that note, my random fact of the day is....... If you consume a poppy-seed bagel before a drug test, you can test positive for heroin.

foreverdelayed

Your totally right about drugs screening. The point I was making was that cannabis smokers are more likely to be caught out than say people who use E. And to try and distinguish when you are under the influence or not is too subjective when speaking about cannabis. On that note I have to agree that it doesn't belong in certain professions. However, it could be argued that I'm being risky in my profession but I have not caused or come close to causing one single incident. I have only ever been in one car crash too and that was the other guys fault! Further to what giverny said regarding people being sacked, is drug testing itself open to abuse by employers finding it harder and harder to lay people off? Which is the least ethical, taking drugs responsibly or using peoples drug use as an excuse to lay them off? Also adultery is not against the law and cannabis is, which is the least ethical bearing in mind the consequences? And remember I'm talking about a chemically non addictive, natural substance, not meth!

Mr Happy

foreverdelayed said:
Murder would result in pain and suffering to fellow man. Smoking a joint doesn't. Science will prove that. Legal status does not determine absolute right or wrong, only an opinion. This is a question of scaremongering affecting medical advances and treatments. Read up on Dupont and the decline of the hemp industry. The reasons for prohibition are unethical.

I am unaware of any people affected by passive drinking...

foreverdelayed

Of course there is in the same way that there are parents letting their kids watch 15 and 18 movies, so are you saying we should ban them too? There is evidence to suggest that violent movies influence behaviour. What I would say is that less people smoke indoors than previously did as its hard to argue with facts. I sense frustration in you, your name is quite ironic!

foreverdelayed

And your point on "passive drinking" yes it doesn't exist but domestic violence is very real and a huge problem. Great suffering exists as a result of it but alcohol is still glamorised. I personally think that alcohol is not the cause of this but it is the trigger. It also costs the taxpayer a hairy fortune.

Mr Happy

Alcohol Is profitable to the taxpayer due to massive taxation. Why being violence into it? Also possible with any other or no substance - alcohol causing issues make illegal drug use acceptable. And of course more people now smoke outdoors but the point You are making? Passive smoking Is possible, Passive drinking isn't. And yes it Is irony, what Is your reason?

foreverdelayed

Your argument is almost ridiculous! This discussion is about cannabis, from which there has been no recorded deaths, ever. If vaporised or eaten its not carcinogenic. The evidence is there to hypothesise that if cannabis were legal and alcohol illegal, there could be equal revenue with less impact on NHS budgeting. And before you start on mental issues, they are statistically as prevalent in cannabis users as in the general population. Cannabis may be a trigger but not the cause. These issues people have manifest themselves one way or another, from being a bit strange to being a psychopath, regardless of what they've smoked drank or eaten. Its easy to blame substance abuse for peoples problems but is it that peoples problems lead them to substance abuse.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You will not dissuade each others opinions either way. For those who partake, enjoy ! For those who believe it disgusting, live and let live ! The internet is full of arguments both for and against. Both harmful and medicinal ! Filter what you will ! Discussion is good !
Nice thread ! Interesting !

LittleWolf

Oh I see, Martwolves (love the username btw)

The problem is not so much with using cannabis it's the consequences of your employer finding out...

Personally I find it easier to focus on my coursework if I'm a little high (less incline to get up and procrastinate) but of course of you are doing a job where the utmost precision is required, you are operating heavy machinery etc you wouldn't go get blazed before hand the same way you wouldnt come into work drunk or having taken certain medications.

I see that your point wasn't a personal attack on the character or ability of those who use cannabis but a product of your situation

My only real problem is people completely ignoring the plethora of health benefits and relatively low risk compared to many pharmaceuticals (and booze), assuming we are all lazy good-for-nothings. I realize now this isn't what you were getting at.

I still believe the world would be a better place if we all chilled out and had a joint (lol of course when there aren't important matters at hand!)

Amsterdam was lovely. Not a raving drinker brawl in sight.

pat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
if taking cannabis helps you good for YOU, to me most who have posted are just treating it as a joke, sometimes in life you have to take a diffrent veiw to understand things better, if alcohol was just found not a chance would it be legalised, but because it is people think im not breaking the law if i drink lager vodka etc, just go to a local hospital and see the affects drinking has on people and this countrys health situations with it nearly everybody i no where i live drink wine, lager, vodka as the bins are full evey week and i mean full of tins and bottles the people who put them there hide there bags etc, when walking to the bin area why would you do that if you have no problem?? you wouldnt really now would you, its because there ashamed but as its legal its looked on as ah its fine im only a **** head and with drinking every night and day then in my opinion you are a alcoholic,
i have chronic pancreatitass through hereditary high cholestrol and get very sever pains i smoke cannabis at night and sometimes in the day if my pain is very bad, as i vomit thru my pain quite a lot, i dont get so called munchies, but it helps with putting weight on
i have been to holland on many occasions and countrys need to look at how they do it and do it themselves, as i said if both cannabis and alcohol were now both found on the same day i bet 1000 pound drink would not be legalised but cannabis would in my opinion, as drink kills everyday destroys familys and too many people die thru drink drivers and nobody complains as drink is legal
in this country you can drink a bottle of whisky get in a car kill children and adults go to the courts and get a slapped wrist, and then there is a destroyed family left behind, its a joke to be honest, it causes fighting people get glased etc, never heard of somebody smoking a spliff and potting somebody has anybody else?? nope i guess not, i do not drink and dont like drunk people anywhere near me, but i do smoke weed at night and sometimes in the day to ease MY pains and yes it helps but apart from growing it which i dont, when i have to get some i dont like the way i have to buy it, so it should be legalised
just my opinion, sorry for spelling mistakes as ive not been up very long and im in bad pain but when i seen this post when i read some replys i had to write something as it angered me a bit, as even my doctor told me smoking weed is not recomended by her she see,s it as fine to use if it helps me cope with pain and i do not abuse it, she even asked me is there any other way of taking it because she doesnt like me smoking
thanks
pat ps i am also insulin dependent diabetic as well as many other health problems

I'm afraid I haven't read everyone's comments as I am just going to give you my personal thoughts. I know someone that is type 1 Diabetic (like myself) and it is doing him no good whatsoever. The ONLY things that will actually maintain your good sugar levels not to mention good mental health (as smoking cannabis is related strongly to psychosis) are exercise, good nutrition and a clear head.

I know some people will say it's fine, one of the safest drugs around but they are deluding themselves! Ask any reputable health professional (and not just read online articles that people have manipulated) and they will clearly state how pretty dam evil the stuff is! Sure, its renowned for its pain killing and calming qualities but in all fairness, you can get these from exercise, good nutrition and deep breathing or mediation. Like I said, this is my personal opinion but I have real life experience with this drug people smoke so frequently like its the norm. If you are Diabetic DO NOT EVER TAKE IT! Value your health :)

pat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
yeh and what benefits do you get from getting drunk every night think of that on peoples suger levels and arrest levels, so im my opinion smoke it if you want to at least you want end up locked up for violence or something else more pathetic

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I sense this discussion is coming to a close. There is no need to take things as a person affront. Everyone is unique, not everyone will agree. C'est la vie.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Think you are right martwolves, an interesting set of views here

Superchip

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Lol Chip!

I'm trying to stop smoking, bud!

Mart.

Mr Happy

Oh so close. You almost gave a reasoned response then you had to ruin it with arrogance.

In answer to the opening question, marijuana is not good for diabetes as it is illegal and will lead to you getting a criminal record. It has also not passed any safety tests to consider harmful side effects.

Any other discussion of whether it should be legalised, the harms of other substances (legal or otherwise), and opinion of 'knowing best' are off topic and pointless.

Q. Is marijuana good for diabetes?

A. No