How can i tell which type of metformin?

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
hi.
I am on metformin sr MY BOX SAYS METABET SR PROLONGED RELEASE TABLET hope this helps

Geocacher

As far as I'm aware all slow release varieties of metformin have an MR or SR behind the name or brand name. Metabet SR is a good version because the tablets are smaller. Glucophage SR is another common version. There are others, and I've had a few over the years but I can't remember them all offhand.

It sounds like you have normal metformin so you probably want to ask to be switched to the slow release version because it's easier on your digestive system.

The best thing to do to get a definite answer is to phone your pharmacy and ask what type of metformin you have.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Anita
Metformin 500mg is the normal stuff. the slow relase is labelled SR in the generics.
Hana

nicola38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It will say on the box. And your doctor or diabetic nurse will tell you.the slow release one is longer than the normal one both white colour though. Both make me sick and i suffer bad side effect from both but we are all not the same what works for you not necessary work for me and vise versa ok

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

walshaw

hi i am new to this forum site, i take the metformin powders -can you get the metformin tablets in a small size, as i really struggle to take tablets :cry:
if so what is the name of them? hope that makes sense!
:? confused.com

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Walshaw
Welcome if your Gp has given you the sachets it is because of your struggle with tablets, unfortunately Metformin tablets are a little larger than most. If you want to try there are techniques to help people swallow tablets however you may be better off with the sachets.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ExPat-Moscow

How weird.. Big chunky tablets in the UK... I have been using SR 500 for two or three years, under the name Metformin Richter in Russia and the tabs were tiny in comparison to the huge one in the UK.

I know for definite that you can get much smaller tabs, but it seems the NHS does not like to buy them

kirkman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
got metabet normal tablet glucophage last month had to throw 3 boxs away was knocking the s**** out of me they gave me sore throut constant tierd falling a sleep constant loose stools stomach cramps up 10 times a day stoped taking them and a week latter back on the glucophage now every thing back to normal 4x 500mg sr after evining meal now i check my bag before leaving the chemist and if its them i just hand them back i know there meant to be the same tablet but that brand just just kills me