Advice on what it is that makes diabetics slower to heal...

Sunshine_Kisses

Sorry for the possibly slightly ignorant question, but I'm assuming the reason some people with diabetes have to have amputations is because wounds don't heal proeprly and then they become infected... does anyone know why this is? What is the reason is that we have less capabilities to 'heal' cuts etc as well as a non-diabetic? And is this something that can happen to anyone with diabetes, or generally only those with 'advanced' diabetes/extended high blood sugars...?

I'm asking as I'm quite clumsy :oops: especially when cooking and fairly regularly manage to cut or scald myself - last week grated my thumb on a cheese grater (muppet, I know!) and just occured to me recently if that's something I now need to worry about? Don't want to become paranoid, but don't want to be so unaware that I become negligent/don't act on something in time... Any advice much apprectiated to stop my very over-active imagination going off on a merry dance to goodness knows where! :crazy:

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Re: Advice on what it is that makes diabetics slower to heal

I am sure someone will answer your question soon i am type 2 and i take methratextrate & it slows all healing down.
So what diabetes does about healing not sure regards

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think it has something to do with bacteria thriving on our sweeter skin/flesh etc. It's harder for our bodies to fight the growing colonies

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sean51

High levels. of sugar impair the blood supply to the nerves which ate needed for healing the greater the damage the longer the healing

Geocacher

Persistent high blood sugar levels damage the nerves and the small blood vessels in your feet and hands. Reduced circulation and the nerve damage from neuropathy mean that diabetics often don't know they have a cut or blister until it becomes badly infected. Blood with a high amount of sugar also provides an ideal breeding ground for bacteria so once an infection takes hold it's harder to treat.

My Dad was lost his left leg below the knee. He was in an accident and the broken bone wouldn't heal because his circulation was poor so an amputation was necessary. Everything possible was tried but gangrene set in. At that point he had been T2 for 13 years at a time when medications and monitoring were less advanced.

Do your best to control your blood sugar levels, and check your feet daily and make sure that any wounds you have are cleaned well and if they do get infected get medial attention immediately. Also if you have any loss of sensation or loss of circulation you should discuss that with your GP. As a part of your yearly review they should check your feet for any problems, and also make sure the circulation is good and that you haven't had any loss of sensation.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I think it's high blood sugars.
My anecdotal evidence is that i personally heal normally. I don't often hurt myself, but when I do, I'm not slow to heal. the worst I've done is fall off a bike about 2 summers ago. All trace of the injury to my knee was gone in 3 weeks, even though I tripped over a root when hiking in woodland and opened everything up about a week after the original injury.
I's one of the reasons why i prefer to keep my blood glucose DOWN
Hana

emmie

I used to work in a district nursing team so I'm rather familiar with leg ulcers etc which with diabetes can lead to amputations. I looked after a couple of people with very bad diabetic ulcers and they were hard to heal, especially if the sugar levels were higher and poor circulation and venous return all add to slowing the healing process down. X

Sent from Emmies iPhone

Sunshine_Kisses

Thanks guys for the replies-really appreciated :)

I've had terrible circulation for as long as I can remember, but don't think it's gotten worse in the last year or so (which is when I'd guess I tipped into diabetic).

I currently don't take medication so nothing interfering on that front, and my blood control is good at the mo - usually in the 5's or 6's; but have noticed that wounds have taken longer to heal over the last 6 / 12 months or so... possibly unrelated but just occurred to me it's good for me to have some sort of understanding of potential problems.

Emmie, what's venous return? Despite having bad circulation for pretty much forever, I used to be pretty quick to heal...

Also coincided with the grated thumb (!) which although at the time I did it wasn't that bad, was very swollen and sore my midweek last week - enough to keep me awake... it was in the wee small hours that I started to get a bit worried that I was possibly more prone to infection... :shock:

Ironically though, the next day I tried various lotions and potions on it, and the thing that made the swelling and pain subside really quickly was... manuka honey! :lol:

nicola38

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I believe eating healthy and looking after your body is the answer. The lower your blood levels are the better for you and so for your blood pressure.keeping active as possible this definately will help if you get a cut.and follow the instructions carefully on what to do if you get a cut and before you put your shoe on check it before. To make sure nothing inside to cut you and keep your place tidy and you will be ok.am type 2 i get minor cut and burns but all heal well as i try to stay fit and healthy.

emmie

Hi Sunshine_kisses,

The veins have valves in them to help pump the blood back up to the heart so when there is poor venous return the valves aren't strong enough to pump the blood back up the body.

Be careful of the Manuka honey, because you'll be absorbing the sugar and will prob raise your levels so just be aware.

Try not to worry and keep al layout health team members aware of these things so they can help :)

X

Sent from Emmies iPhone

WhitbyJet

emmie said:
Hi Sunshine_kisses,

The veins have valves in them to help pump the blood back up to the heart so when there is poor venous return the valves aren't strong enough to pump the blood back up the body.

Be careful of the Manuka honey, because you'll be absorbing the sugar and will prob raise your levels so just be aware.

Try not to worry and keep al layout health team members aware of these things so they can help :)

X

Sent from Emmies iPhone

NOT TRUE, the honey doesnt get absorbed into the blood stream, doesnt raise your blood glucose

http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/about-us/biological-sciences
http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/researcharticles.html

You can email the University of Waikato for further information.

Sunshine_Kisses

WhitbyJet said:
emmie said:
Hi Sunshine_kisses,

X

Sent from Emmies iPhone

NOT TRUE, the honey doesnt get absorbed into the blood stream, doesnt raise your blood glucose

http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/about-us/biological-sciences
http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/researcharticles.html

You can email the University of Waikato for further information.

Interesting, thanks WhitbyJet! I do have small amounts of Manuka honey from time to time which doesn't seem to cause probs/spikes with my blood sugars, so I was interested to know whether it was absorbed any differently if applied to the skin/a wound... :)

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Interesting comments, but none of them really cover the compromised immune systems that diabetics (well, type 1s anyway) will have. The issues that presents means that we're more likely to pick up infection (hence being advised to get flu jabs each year) and have a tougher time fending it off.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Firstly, so far I seem to heal O.K. but my BG control is reasonable.

I think the main issue is probably poor blood supply - it is the blood which coagulates to seal a wound and carries the blood cells to the site of the wound to fight infection.

More interesting, perhaps, is that Diabetes is reportedly an immune system problem so there may be issues with the immune system with some diabetics which can impair healing.

I think if a small cut or graze heals O.K. then you are fine.

I know I was scared by all the information about poor healing and damage to feet when I was first diagnosed but I eventually realised that this could happen but didn't always.

Cheers

LGC

candiloo

I notice this happens to me if I can't keep my level down and I am told it is because the extra sugar in the system feeds the bacteria and it grows like mad. Therefore, I assume if you get ulcers and wounds on your feet and that and don't keep the sugar levels under control, that could cause it. I get an infection in a spot on my face where it would have gone quite quickly before, so I have a dabber with an antibiotic in and I put that on until it stops throbbing, then it gets better. Topical solution he called it at the doc.

Sunshine_Kisses

Thanks guys - all helpful info. Interesting about immunity LGC as my white cells are apparently low... Is this the case with all peeps with diabetes?

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

candiloo said:
I notice this happens to me if I can't keep my level down and I am told it is because the extra sugar in the system feeds the bacteria and it grows like mad. Therefore, I assume if you get ulcers and wounds on your feet and that and don't keep the sugar levels under control, that could cause it. I get an infection in a spot on my face where it would have gone quite quickly before, so I have a dabber with an antibiotic in and I put that on until it stops throbbing, then it gets better. Topical solution he called it at the doc.

whats this topical solution called?