Alcohol

jfyie123

As I am an 18 year old student about to go to uni the chances of me never touching alcohol are non existent. I understand I have to be careful as a type 1 diabetic but what risk does alcohol actually have?
Plus ive heard about hypos which mirror being drunk? To clarify does that mean feeling like your hung over or does it mean that you actually feel like your drunk?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
While drinking your liver concentrates on clearing the alcohol and won't be putting its usual level of sugar in you. This makes a risk of hypos higher during the time you are drinking and the next day. Having an extreme hypo can cause "drunk" behaviour and when out people will assume you are drunk if this happens. The usual advice is don't drink excessively, always carry id indicating u r type 1 and make sure people you are out with know you are diabetic. Test regularly and have a carby snack before bed to be safe. Often advised to not correct highs while drinking due to alchohol and still have a snack b 4 bed If a little high. Also the following day you may need to reduce your qa. Stay safe.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

stjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I think that's good advice. I myself had a few sudden hypos the following day. Seemed to be particularly severe when I started taking taking lantus. I think that drinking in moderation is important.

Spatta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fake people
If i have been out drinkin i make sure i eat when i get home and if i am to inject i have 1 or 2units less depending on my bg level at the time. I always wear my med i.d wen i'm out 'just incase', and friends always know how to work my insulin pump if needed or how to check my sugars if thats needed. Always good to have someone else that knows. Just take it easy really.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jfyie123

When you say a certain type of hypo might make you seem like you're drunk what does that actually mean? Do you act giddy/stupid or...?
Thanks

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
Ah alcohol!! I do admit I like a drink and favour probably one of the worst choices, cider. However I have found over many years of interesting incidents that sometimes it's easier not to drink at all but I totally understand about uni. Agree with everything above, make sure you have some Identification (I wear a necklace, wristband and carry an ICE card in my purse). All of my close friends know I'm diabetic and are tuned into the 'signs' of highs or lows. I always, always eat after drinking and sometimes have to adjust my short acting the next day as I tend to have a hypo at between 8-10am the next day if I'm not careful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App