Changing blood monitors. .different readings

violet6763

I have received my new Mendor discreet. I was really pleased to get one and tested straight away. I hadn't long tested on my Bayer Contour and was surprised to see a big difference in readings. I used the control sample and it comes within range.
Today I tested using one large blob of blood on all three meters I have. Freestyle Optium, which I have as it tests for ketones tested 8.4, Mendor discreet tested 9.1 and my usual contour tested 6.6!!! This is a huge difference and I trust my contour as when it shows 5 and below I start to get hypo symptoms. Also my phone app is from these readings and is alwats under 8 recently and my hba1c was 6.8 down from 9.3. I am really disappointed as I really wanted to use the mendor as it seems so easy. Do I just subtract 2.5 from all it's readings?!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've also noticed this, i use the contour and the contour XT, i've tried various meters and always found they read higher/lower.
I don't trust the mendor as i was hypo today, contour XT (which reads higher than the contour) said i was 3.1, mendor 5.6! Now thats a big difference!
The insulinx reads similar to the contour XT.
The verioIQ and bgstar read quite high. I don't know which one to trust but i generally stick with my contour XT as it sits in the middle, it recognises my hypos but doesn't give me wacky high readings.
I've used the contour XT for a while now and when my hba1c was 5.9%, the readings somewhat fell into that, my readings were always under 7.5 and i do test alot!

Sorry if thats aload of garbage :lol: generally the advice is use a meter and stick with it! But i'm wary of the mendor after todays performance :shock:

violet6763

Same here, yet the idea of having an all in one was really appealing. I was so excited when it arrived I made my husband bring it to me at work! It's going to be another meter consigned to the cupboard and I had such high hopes.

violet6763

I am glad you say you test a lot. I seem to be testing every hour during the day. If it's not food time, it's driving, or work or exercise. Four months diagnosed type 1 and I have hard fingertips!

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My pinky fingers are wrecked! lol! I'm testing a heck of alot at the moment as i'm pregnant so end up correcting highs alot, but even outside of pregnancy i test very often, i know some people only test a couple of times a day but i'm prone to hypos and often can't tell when i'm hypo or just anxious of them, i just like being safe than sorry lol

jdizzy74

I just received my mendor this weekend, n once I figured out how to use it was really pleased with the all in one idea and how compact it is. However I used mendor meter this morning and it gave me a reading of 10.5 so I thought id check with my old meter which is a one touch ultra easy and that gave me a reading of 9.6!! Going to check them together over next day or two n im keeping my fingers crossed the mendor sorts itself out as I love the idea of it, so much easier to put in handbag and carry around.

violet6763

I checked mine today using both and one was 9.1 and one was 9.6. Perhaps ut needs to settle diwn from its packaging!
Anyway fell at first hurdle. Pharmacy at doctors say the pct said that we all have to use the same acu meter