sick driver

another12

Dislikes
Porridge
The driver HAS to accept full responsibility,especally as hes diabetic. Iv just spent 3months jumping through hoops so I can drive a minibus for a living, even though im a t2.
Deepest sympathy to the pedestrian.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Thankyou izzzi for this link. I hope all of the detractors on the 'Arrest not driving' saga read this and realise that the rest of us diabetics are trying to prevent draconian legislation affecting our freedoms by attacking all of those who unwisely get near a vehicle whilst unfit through drink or Diabetes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
6 months in prison and a 3 year ban just simply isn't enough, I would prefer it that he was banned for life and served a minimum 5 year term for the harm and suffering he has caused :evil:

emmie

I don't understand why people with diabetes don't take responsibility. I lost my hypo awareness in 2009 and had to give up driving and my community nursing job. Obviously not driving has and does have a big impact on my life but I would never put anyone else in danger just because I didn't want to face reality.

I hope the pedestrian recovered well
X

Sent from Emmies iPhone

ilnar

Mr Nicholls (lawer) said Lock had 'drifted into hypoglycemia without being aware of it'. He said he had controlled his diabetes for the past 17 years and worked as an IT professional. Lock has handed back his licence and does not intend to apply again, he said.

some people being very quick to judge here
have you never had a hypo?
he has addmitted to it, and taken responsibility,
lets imagine for a moment if it had been one of us,
maybe he lost his hypo awareness and hadnt realised?
hell, he had his blood tested that day, maybe he is a type 2 and not testing regularly?
yes, its terrible, but the guy has accepted all responsibility.
lets think for a moment about how bad he feels, and not accuse people of not "facing reality"
not all of us can afford to give up our jobs, and yes, for a lot of us that involves driving.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
emmie said:
I don't understand why people with diabetes don't take responsibility.

Sent from Emmies iPhone
He did, He gave up his licence! (per Daily Fail )Lock had handed back his licence and does not intend to apply again, he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2Tvii9Su0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
T1 who had been controlling his condition for 17 years (so diagnosed or managed to gain control at 24) but hadn't notified DVLA.

I wonder if he told his insurers?

If so, he is lucky if they pay out.

He is irresponsible because he didn't notify DVLA.

Cheers

LGC

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We had another thread on this earlier:
I included this link that has a bit more detail ( Edit Just checked Fergus's Daily Mail article, I'm not sure it says much more than that one)
http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News ... 130148.htm
He was T1, he hadn't checked before driving, he had for some reason lied to his nurse about his levels only that morning when she found that he was low (why would one do that? ). He doesn't appear to have informed the DVLA (says he did but obviously hadn't got a restricted licence as they had no record of him).I suppose it is possible that he didn't understand what could happen but he has had T1 for 17 years.
I think his sentence on the face of it was quite just, undoubtedly though the real sentence is having to live with it.

Yes, it can be very hard if someone has to give up a driving licence but we also have to think of the safety of other road users.
It is a reminder of the dangers of hypo unawareness to all of us.
I stopped driving for a while when I realised that I wasn't recognising I was low until I was sub 3mmol/l. I felt fine, I never passed out and I felt I functioned fine. Fortunately, I had people advise me that it was dangerous both professionals and people on forums. I'm lucky I have been able to regain awareness and have become much better at avoiding them. Maybe this man was never told of the dangers though after 17 years with T1 I would have thought it unlikely.