How did you feel about switching onto injections?

Knightwatch

I have been on Byetta Injections twice daily for 2yrs now, and although I manage fairly well with a very fine needle, I hate needles, however my main issue is how injections take over control of your life as I have to take an injection every morning 1hr before food due to a regurgation issue I have to take a tablet every morning half an hour before food & repeat again for main meal at night, means if I want to go out at night have to take kit with me or take same before I go out - I have spoken to Consultant & GP about tablet medication & going no where in fact at last Consultant visit spoke about insulin which would be worse - very unhappy :D

rebel1

I've been told that I need to switch to injections, but am reluctant. I've been taking various supplements over the last 6 months.
I've started drinking Green Tea over the last few days. I'm adding flavoured vinegar with meals, so far so good. Just need to lose a stone and evaluate. I've got a 'J Pouch' too which needs to be managed.

dimartin

hi I went onto insilin about 10 years ago, I had misgivings about it at first but soon got into the swing of things. I had a good diabetes nurse who came to the house to explain everything & I have'nt looked back since.

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
I have a fear of needles, and I mean a fear. But once I did it the first time I was ok, but still dread anything bigger than 6mm.

stephiesut

I started on Byetta this morning. I can't say it bothers me all that much. Having had such high blood sugars for so long I am just looking forward to hopefully having something that will get them to a more normal level and feel better, have more energy and not be so worried about it all. I suppose the only thing i am really worried about is if it doesn't work. And how to dispose of needles when out and about, as I dont fancy carrying my sharps bin around with me all the time.

magicaldebs

I'm due to start Bayetta in a couple of weeks time, I can't start it earlier because I'm working in Cyprus next and felt that I needed to be able to contact the GP in case there were side effects. I have mixed emotions, I need a change of medication because even low carb is not controlling my BG now. I am permanently getting BGs in the high teens. I'm very worried about that and I don't feel well, but I'm also worried about the side effects of Bayetta. I have read that it can be tricky t take. I hate feeling nauseas and I know that this is a common side effect. Another side effect is weight loss and I know that if I could lose some weight then my health would improve considerably. So as I say mixed emotions.
In some ways I can see the benefits of going onto Insulin. Hopefully that's not for me just yet though
Debs

Viking

I started Byetta last week. Hopefully I will be off it next week as I am having a terrible time. I am nauseous all the time, have a headache and am very tired. I also think it interacts with other medication I am on, which has given me chest pain, erratic BS readings and feeling extremely cold.

The injections are not a problem at all, they are quite painless.

This is how it has affected me, bear in mind that we are all different and other people will react differently. I believe that my problem is that the Byetta reacts badly with the dozen other pills I take each day.

magicaldebs

Thank you for telling me about your experience on Byetta. I haven't been able to start it as yet because the Practice Nurse was ill and needs to teach me how to administer it. I wonder if you lose weight on Byetta because you feel so sick all the time!!! Well let's see how I get on, I need a new treatment anyway.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Viking

Byetta is worth a try. It affects people in different ways, so it may be OK for you.

I'm having a lousy day of it today. Seeing my GP on Wednesday.

magicaldebs

I was told by my friend who is a Diabetic Nurse, that if you can keep going on it for a few weeks the side effects die down. I suppose it do ends how bad the side effects are though and whether you can live with them. I hate feeling nauseous, so I'm not sure I can cope, but I'm happy to give it a go.
Debs

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Started on injections 24 months ago, initially quite optimistic, but have spent the last year trying to learn about insulin ratios, carb counting and figuring out if Iam taking enough or too little insulin. Having now determined that my insulin ratio appears to be 1:3 and my Basal dose should be 40 units per night, of Levermir, things seem to have settled down. My biggest problem is rmebering to always take my insulin ad testng kit with me when I go out!
I still worry that a TDD of 80 units per day is a bit on the high side, even with insulin resistance.

magicaldebs

Well I started Byetta this week. I have no side effects, I'm not even sure that its affected my appetite. Giving the injection is easy enough so I'm quite happy do far.
It's not really affecting my BS yet though.

kelaarts

I remember that I was pretty stunned when I heard that I had to go onto injections - I'd only been on tablets for a couple of years but it does give you a lot more control. I was also very needle-phobic but that's been well and truly cured now. :)

Reactions: 2 people

cjm1538

carbo said:
I'd love to go on Insulin as Metformin is causing me kidney problems but my nurse says I am too old and the doctor agrees.Also to get a decent HBA1C 7.1 my diet is extremely boring.
I have been a T2 Diabetic for 15 years now and taken tablets for most of that time, including a large dose of Metformin which has I am told damaged my kidneys. I am now 75 and was put on lantos when I was 74.5 years old and as far as I am concerned its the best thing that happened to me for years. My first HaB1c after starting insulin was 6.7 and my second 6.16. It has never been so well controlled. I eat a normal but sensible diet and have not had the need to resort to low carb diet and I would hate to do so. My dose of Lantos has stabilised at 48 units injected at 17:45 each day.

Slidge

I have been on Slow acting insulin for a month now and am still in the frustrated stage of adjusting it by 2 units every 3 days as my sugar levels are between 10.5 & 19.6 still. (I started on 8 mmol a night, am up to 18mmol a night). I am due back at the docs mid June, possibly for the fast acting too, but I can't say how I feel at the moment, because my sugar levels are slightly worse than when I was on tablets. :cry: On the subject of Insulin Buddy, I am fortunate (or not) to have my Husband, as he has been Type 1 Diabetic for 19 years now.

Slidge

I have been on Slow acting insulin for a month now and am still in the frustrated stage of adjusting it by 2 units every 3 days as my sugar levels are between 10.5 & 19.6 still. (I started on 8 mmol a night, am up to 18mmol a night). I am due back at the docs mid June, possibly for the fast acting too, but I can't say how I feel at the moment, because my sugar levels are slightly worse than when I was on tablets. :cry: On the subject of Insulin Buddy, I am fortunate (or not) to have my Husband, as he has been Type 1 Diabetic for 19 years now.

martync

I've been diagnosed a type 2 diabetic for about 13 years now controlled with metformin and lately gliclicide. I must have been undiagnosed for years because I'd been feeling terrible but urine tests didn't show a problem, but a blood test showed the problem immediately.

I'm on a cocktail of drugs to keep my blood pressure and cholesterol down to normal levels.

I was on byetta for about 2.5 years and for the first 2 years helped me to keep my bg within a normal range, though I did keep having hypos with bg down to 2 or so. I didn't have any symptoms with the first 5ug dose but when I went to 10ug I suffered terrible nausea and sickness till my GP put me on prochlorperazine which stopped the nausea and helped me to get used to the byetta after a week or so.

Now my bg is way up high again (20 at last test) and I'm waiting to go onto insulin. I have a levemir pen in the fridge and am waiting to be told to start injecting. I'm not looking forward to taking the insulin, and it's not because of being squeamish about needles, I'm more worried in case I have a severe hypo because I live alone.

I'm also a bit worried because of having to contact the DVLA and my insurance company to report that I've started insulin. I don't know what to expect.

Martyn.

Sassco

Hi, I started taking insulin injection in September 2012 and I was terrified. I put it off for so long, that I actually let my diabetes get worse. My GP talked me through the Humulin3 injection, and let me try it out in the surgery on a simulated arm. I wasn't sure that I was doing it right, but he encouraged me and told me that I was doing fine. The idea of sticking a needle into my body was a terrifying thought, but I knew that I had no choice. It was either get used to it or suffer the consequences. Well, I am now 9 months on and using my injection is second nature to me now. I prefer to inject into my abdomen rather than my arm, as I feel more relaxed about it. My GP informed me two weeks ago that in the 9 month period I have managed to reduce my Hb1Ac from 12.5 to 5.5 and I have been taken off the Glicazide and Januvia. I am still taking Metformin, but hope to be reducing the dosage soon. How did I feel about switching onto injections? - scared, nervous, terrified and apprehensive - how do I feel about switching onto injections? Fantastic, relieved, relaxed, assured and above all, healthier.

8 Years Type 2 - 9 months on insulin - HbA1c 5.5

Sassco (Rachel)

Reactions: 6 people

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Been on them for 3 weeks now after serious IV's of steroids, so may be temporary.
I do find it extremely easy to inject, although along with all the rat poison injections my belly does now resemble something you might find in a morgue !
Like other posters I had this impression of being harpooned by the vampire nurse while in Papworth.

I think that the green topped needles BD Micro-Fine + 0.23 x 4 mm are virtually unnoticeable in their delivery.

Good luck all and keep stabbing.....

Superchip

Viking

Byetta really didn't agree with me, so the GP took me off it. I am now on NovoMix 30 injections, twice a day and have to say I have never felt better. The injections are no problem, the Novopen needles are so fine, that you don't even feel the injection. Now I am injecting I take four less pills a day.

So as Superchip says - Keep stabbing ...

Reactions: 2 people