when to get medical attention ?

kukka

hi all not been back here for ages as find reading very difficult

im a type 2 sufferer diagnosed 2009.i a also a sever M.E sufferer often bedbound and housebound unable to exericse.I developed diabetes since being ill with the M.E and suffer a lot of terrible neurological problems pain etc.I later went on to develop low thyroid and am currently very low vitamin D

ive found my gp surgeryto be useless.they havent help much with any aspect of my illnesses.ive pottered long mainly fromadvice from here and with more helpful advice from diabetic nurse

im always getting conflicting advice and am pretty fed up of it all.im told to eat long lasting carbs but i find they always make my readings go crazy.so for a year or so im low carbing as much as i can on a budget

im currenly on 1 glucophage a day which gives me terrible diarrhea and stomach problems but gp says it is not caused by the tablets.yet if i increase them my symptoms worsen.so i refuse to take more than 1 as my life was terrible on more of them

i managed to get my Hb level to 7.5 with one tablet and diet.the nurse seems happy enough with that but i do struggle and often find when im tired and unwell which is pretty much every day then my readings can vary so much and shoot up to 19s and i start to worry about wht to do.

at moment i drink more and that helps me and i cut out all carb for a few days it really helps.but gp told me im wrong to go total no carb as the fats from foods i eat instead are too much without carb ??

kukka

i try weetabix or porridge for breakfast and most days im ok with that but ive tried some mini shredded wheat which i was advised to eat but then my sugrs 3 hours later is at 16.9 ? thats not good is it !!

if its so good for me why does it affect me so badly

they not even helped me with the low vit D told me to go find something to use which i can tolerate as im allergic to lanolin which most vit D is formed on.i think being low on vit D also helps sugars to go higher.im also asthmatic but avoid my inhaler as that increases my readings.same as some hydrocortesone im perscribed for other things and nasal spray im perscribed.i have to avoid all theses things ot help keep my levels down but gp doesnt advise me at all

i fidn it all scarey stuff.as im so very unwell all the time.id really leik advise on best meds to try even ? i did ask about januvia but then saw stories about pancretitis and as i already suffer tummy problems am too scared to ask to take them now.what else can i try without putting weight on.i am over weight and as i said bdbound and pretty unwell all the time.

thank you xxx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear of your problems. The Metformin (Glucophage) if not marked as Glucophage SR will not be the slow release variety and are the likely cause of you bowel problems. I would say your GP is wrong to say the tablets aren't the cause unless he can prove they aren't. Do ask him to change you to the SR version if you are not on these. You may then be able to increase your dose with his agreement. You are doing the right thing by low-carbing. Do have low-GI carbs and small portion sizes. It's probably good to have some carbs with the fats and proteins so you get a wide range of nutrients, but keep them small. An HBa1C of 7.5 or below is acceptable if not ideal. My last HBa1c was 8.3 which was not good!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ref Januvia, I've been on it for 2 years with no issues. Although in rare cases is does have serious side effects these are rare and I've not seen any posts of problems on this forum. Gliclazide is another drug many of us have but it is best for those who aren't overweight and have a failing pancreas rather than being insulin resistant. There are injectables such as Byetta (before insulin) which is better if you are overweight. Have a look on the forum for people using this.

kukka

oops what i meant to ask really is what levels are too high and when should i ring the hospital.say if my readings are still at 19 during the evening ? or is it ok to see how it goes until next day ? thanks x

kukka

thank you daibell yes im already taking the SR glucophge.been on that oen a while now but still get terrible tum problems with it.on the 1 a day i can cope but up to 2 i find i cant make the loo on time and its awful.im very poorly enough as it is

wiht me getting such high readings in between my g wants me to increase the metformin.i tend to not be stable.i can have hypos somedays and a few days later be runnign high again.ive no idea why.fasting is usally 7.9 but gp wants me at 6 !! and she says have to be 7hb too

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your condition sounds complex. Steroids definitely make diabetes worse so bear that in mind. Your bowel problems could be the Metformin or could be caused by many other things such as IBS etc. In my opinion you need to have sugar readings in the high 20s to visit A&E as there is a risk of ketones if you are also low-carbing. Get some Ketostix to check if you are worried. The hospital can only bring the sugars down with insulin so bear that in mind. Much better to keep the carbs low, low-GI and spread evenly thru the day. If you HBa1C remains too high then more meds will be needed. As you are suffering high sugar swings down into hypos it is always possible you have one of the rarer forms of diabetes, but I suspect if you smooth your carb intake the swings will reduce. These are merely my thoughts not as an expert

kukka

thank you Daibell

been reading more up on my problems and it seems having low vit D maybe making my sugars more high too.ive ordered a new vit D based on lichen which is like a seaweed i think so i wont be allergic to it

wil see how i get on once im started on that maybe my levels will settle better.im also going to try cinnamon.just trying to find out where to order it from now lol..will look round here see if theres more info.ive only just finished reading on web about it might help

im very much into self help if i can especially as my gps dont seem to care less what happens to me

thanks for your advice appreciate your time helping me thank you x

Embabe25

I can't take any form of metformin. For the same reason. Gas and cramping on 1 anymore and I'm glued to the toilet.

I too have an under active thyroid, I'm overweight and have bad resistance. I'm T1. I'm exhausted all the time and recently seem to ache from head to toe! I'm worried that I have ME or fibromyalgia but I'm too scared to go to the dr about it!

I've two babies to look after so I need no more health issues. I'll just stay in denial lol.

Sorry no advice to give just to let you know you're not alone

Em x

Em x

kukka

HIYA thanks Em

a lot of doctors are not really clued up about m.e anyways so might not be worth asking them but then again some might know a bit.the m.e association online has lots of useful information if you need to look anything up http://www.meassociation.org.uk/

the main thing is to get lots of rest after any exersion.very difficult with 2 young kids.im bedbound now a lot and housebound had to give up work due to the severe illness.but i got a lot worse after i was advised to take lot of exercise.this stopped me being able to use my legs.so id advise against any strenuous exercise.try and rest after any exercise mental and physical exercise.

ive got problems with using mylegs but they dont know if its diabetes or the M.E but they say its neurolical which m.e has been classified as from the world health organisation

hope you get some help and manage to cope Em x

Embabe25

Hi thanks for that.

I walk a lot and get pains in my calfs like lactic acid build up. It's worse if I'm a bit hit and miss with my thyroxine so I've put it down to that. I could quite happily sleep all day but as it goes just now I'll just sleep when I die! Lol xx

Em x