Kilimanjaro advice ?

Houseyjojo

Hi, I'm looking for advice from people with type 1 who have climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. I'm doing the trek in August & need advice from someone who's done it, rather than from my non-diabetic, non mountain climbing health care advisor (their words, not mine!) How much did you reduce insulin by? How often did you have snacks? How did you get on with hypo symptoms & altitude sickness!
Any advice appreciated :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No advice on the climb but good luck and hope you return safely :thumbup:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T2, and climbed Kili 18 months ago.

I'm a lo-carber, but I have to admit, on days when I felt really bad, Haribo sweets (the soft jelly type) were an absolute god send!

Drinking water is super important. I had a camel pack - but found that it was actually quite hard to suck the water through the long straw. Keep a bottle of water handy - because you won't be able to get water into your body fast enough, and sucking it through a straw is just not efficient enough!

I didn't make it to the top - I got to Barafu Hut (4,600m) just short of Stella Point and Uhura Peak (5,700m/5,895m). Altitude sickness can hit you hard, and I also ended up with what might have been pulmonary edema (Fluid on the lungs!).

I really can't comment on insulin, though...

Best of luck to you. It is an amazing experience that you will not regret!

Houseyjojo

Thanks for the good luck wishes.....I'll need it!

Patch.....sorry to hear you didn't make it, very close; well done! I guess it will be the altitude that will get me so defo want as much control over my diabetes as pods. I was wondering about whether to take a water bladder or bottles, so thanks for that advice!

:)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd recommend having a bottle at hand. You'll benefit more from drinking the water, than you will suffer from carrying it!