weird smell

pat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
hiya, just to point out some medication can play games with your sense of smell, i was on some medication a few years ago and to be honest about an hour after taking i could only really smell a strong urine type of smell at the top of my nostrils, it only went away a few days after stopping taking the medication, im sure it was prescribed for deppresion but it made me smell urine whilst i was taking them, sorry to hear about it as it can be a bit of a nuisance when you have it so all the best in sorting it out
pat

kathyfardell

Me too ! I often go through periods of months with the same smell constantly with me, then that smell will disappear and I will get another.... Then another. Smells include- ammonia, stale milk, urine, all horrid never nice like flowers or fruit lol
Kathy x

jimbob45

I have noticed a smell from my urine on numerous occasions, it is a sweet smell & usually occurs when my sugars are high. I have been diabetic for 18 years & on insulin for last 5 years, I just drink more water to clean myself out & it goes away.

Yvette18

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, I have had a problem with strange smells. Mine is like smoke. My nasal passages are very dry, the drier they get the stronger the smell. Just in the process of having tests at the doctors. I've had it for more than 6 years.

Klang180

Yep i know exactly what you are talking about.

I get that when i am running high but rather than thinking it was a smell in my nose i think it is from actual sippage (sorry pretty gross). I would be pretty certain that when you are high you are are leaking very slightly and that is what you can smell.

It is unpleasant but i don't think others can smell it unless it gets really bad.

Have a think about the last time you smelt the urine smell, are you sure you weren't actually leaking ever so slightly?

Sorry to be gross and frank but i think it doesn't pay to beat around the bush on these matters.

Kate R

My husband gets weird smells up his nose from time to time and the doc reckons it's excess acid on his stomach. Since he has been taking antacids it's not been so bad.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had nasty niffs in my nose when my sugars were high. Smelled like faeces sometimes but never urine. These have gone since I reduced carb intake and started controlling blood sugar levels.

A friend of mine says I smell different since taking metformin. Describes it as ammonia which I can definitely smell if I'm having the runs due to metformin. Ammonia is also present in urine. Maybe you're picking up on that?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fracking-nuclear-artic drilling- genetically modified foods-monsanto-mega dairies
dib said:
I know my urine can smell different when levels are high, not sure why, almost like I have eaten asparagus when I haven't!
yes a smell like asparagus me too,don't know if candida could be cause never tracked mine down yet, another mystery...

pat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
yeh kate ,i also get strange smells due to excess acid i have it quite bad and wake up some nights burning in my stomach which comes up, but i get like milk or something thats going off, it can even make me vomit, and if i do not wake up before it comes up it pours out of my nose which burns like hell for days after, never been offered anything to stop my burning nose, i have to take lanszoprazole and creon when i eat but doesnt help much at all since getting chronic pancreatitass, just thought id let you no
regards
pat

Kate R

pat said:
yeh kate ,i also get strange smells due to excess acid i have it quite bad and wake up some nights burning in my stomach which comes up, but i get like milk or something thats going off, it can even make me vomit, and if i do not wake up before it comes up it pours out of my nose which burns like hell for days after, never been offered anything to stop my burning nose, i have to take lanszoprazole and creon when i eat but doesnt help much at all since getting chronic pancreatitass, just thought id let you no
regards
pat

I would ask the doctor again as that sounds excessive to me.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother has a hiatus hernia which causes acid reflux. The pain can be extraordinary. I did some research as the meds seemed to just hold it at bay. 2 dessertspoons of cider vinegar followed by a glass of water or in a glass of water neutralises the acid. It really works. Some evidence suggests taking it daily for a month even if there is no pain but I'm wary of thos as too much can apparantly upset stomach lining. About to try him on Apple Cider Vinegar capsules. Hopefully they are as good because the taste of Vinegar is a bit overpowering

cosmicpoppy

Just a quick note:-
Ketones build up when there is insufficient insulin to help fuel the body’s cells. Ketones are more common in people with type 1 diabetes AND people with advanced type 2 diabetes.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi,

I thought I would answer this one. The peculiar smell you get when sugar levels are high is from the acid as your body tries to get rid of the ketones. Use it as a warning sign that you are running too high. Not sure how you manage your diabetes but as a type 1 whenever I notice it I'm high so take a small extra insulin injection, just use it as your body's natural way of warning you. If you are getting it all the time then you should really check your ketones as soon as and your sugar levels to avoid running high on a regular basis.

Frankie

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
I know what you mean, and have tried to find out what this is and the only conclusion I can come to is it's the urine once if it gets on your underwear - it doesn't seem to smell when it's "fresh", but over the course of a few hours it seems to set up a very "cheesy" smell, which I didn't have before I became a diabetic - this has only happened over the past year, for around a year before I was diagnosed, and still goes on. I have bought special "non-soap intimate cleansers" which make no difference, so I can only conclude that it's something in the urine that then "ferments" on your underwear. Sorry to be so graphic, but I've thought long and hard about this and there's no easy way of saying it! If anyone can find an answer and a "cure" to this horrible smell I too would be very grateful!

jimbob72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
TORIES AND EXTREME RIGHT WINGERS
Just like to thank everyone for their input, im gonna try a few diet changes and see if that makes a difference, failing that ill buy some vaporub and smell that instead:mrgreen:

Reactions: 2 people

pat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
thanks for the advice kate, but i have told my doctor about this for years now, just like i have about my burning feet at night but they never help me at all if anything i come out with less medication and have to go back thru my consultant at the hospital who has written to so many doctors telling them to leave my stomach tablets alone and get me back on them,
as an example i went to my doctors last week as they said my dose of lanzsrapole was too much and took me completly off them for no reason at all so i have to go back thru my consultant to get put back on them she said she had wrote to him and he replied saying about taking me off them, i told the dotor that i find it slightly hard to beleive as my consultant only increased them and wrote for very long term use, so i came home phoned my consultants secratery and she told me he had not wrote that letter, but wrote and told the doctor to leave me and medication alone as i need them so bad, its like some kind of game with doctors and im really starting to distrust many of them now i just wish i had a good solicitor and id take the doctor to a court, but i will try and get my consultant to phone her when i see him to explain this letter that does not exist so what did she read when she seen me?
i suffer quite bad with acid reflux as i put in my last post it comes pouring out of my nose if i dont wake quick enough and woken many times choking and cant breath as it gone back down the wrong way, the problem is nobody cares these days and ive noticed doctors do not like giving me 13/14 diffrent medications like i take
my dad was in the same position many years ago when his heart was bad they played with his medication and mind, eventually my dad passed away with his heart (r.i.p)
doctors like to play god, not all but most
regards
pat

Keefles

I also have same problem I notice it when my sugar is high for a while and developed large amount of ketones! This led to dka it was awful and very embarrassing especially when needing to use public toilets . When sugars under better control it isn't an issue for me anyway! I think it will disappear as ur control is better! Good luck !

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Just a quick question. When your wazz smells strong and sweet, do you wash your hands before you pick your nose. This may seem flippant, but it so not. Gents, how many times have you been pointing percy at the porcelain and the chap next to you puts the old chap away and then leaves the facilities without washing his hands? I'd say the ratio I'd 50/50 about blokes washing their hands. You may think I'm causing devilment but it's so true.

Honest answers. In certain parts of the uk (I won't specify) they'll say, "what? You actually wash your hands after a wazz? It's yours ain't it, you knows where it's been)"

Over to you...

Same applies if you can smell pap!

I'm not sexist, so this applies to women too. (Re:the question)

Mart

Reactions: 2 people