Pumping and Pregnant

vans

Hi All,
S'been a while since I've posted but I've been lurking for ages!

Happy to report I'm 12 weeks pregnant and so far, have been managing those incredibly tight targets pretty well. Until the last few days actually when I seem to be running hypo (or nearly) a lot of the time. I'm really surprised as I was expecting my insulin requirements to increase not decrease!

I've just been observing and keeping really tight records and can't really see any patterns as yet but might go for a 10% TBR and see how that goes.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? Also just wanted to discuss the difficulty of keeping to these crazy tight targets (3.8-5.5 & 7.8 after meals?!!!) and see if anyone has any tips/experience?

Cheers all
x

weeezer

Hi vans

It is really hard to stay within pregnancy targets isn't it? I was on mdi for my 2 pregnancies, but the last one was a hypo-nightmare, a pump would've been awesome.

I have a pump now, but doubt if will be preggers again! Gettin on... :(

Just wanted to say I wasn't always within these newer strict limits, in fact the target of 'under 7.8 one hour after food' wasnt even around! And I had 2 perfectly healthy normal children. It's all very stressful with regards to the baby's health, but the odd stray reading isnt going to cause any harm.

Sounds like you're doing a grand job anyway x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

vans

Thanks for your reassurance Weezer :)

Was having lots of hypos and was totally unaware until reading on Babycenter forum that it's common in weeks 7-12 to have reduced insulin requirement. Now expecting to raise insulin requirements now I'm in week 13.

Cheers again x

emmie

Congratulations Vans,

I really hope your pregnancy continues well! I'm hoping to start trying for a baby early next year so it will be great to hear how you are doing! I've got to admit when i saw the reading we are meant to have i couldn't believe it! I dont have hypo awareness at all so wonder how they will want to manage my levels. I do have a hypo alert dog but he is trained to alert to a hypo as 4.5 mmols and below so might need to do some work with his trainer and a lot more BM's!

anyway! so pleased for you :)
x

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi vans, im on injections, I'm currently 25 weeks and weeks 9-18 were very unpredictable hypo wise, I was constantly lowering then upping my insulin only to have to drop it down again, the past week has been better.. resistance has really kicked in! I don't have any advice pump wise but it's completely normal in first tri and early second tri to decrease. I'm keeping 2 hour post readings below 6 as the 1hour readings were making me have hypos in the 1s.. and I was losing my awareness of them, so things are abit easier since they told me to keep 2hour targets. Hoping all goes well x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App