New to Low Carbing.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I recently changed from a calorie counting diet to low carbs as my weight had stalled and I need to lose at least another 3stones (42lbs). I have my nutrition goals set at Calories 1200 Carbs 47 Fat 76 Protein 45.

Do you think that is a healthy way? I am 78y.o. and weigh 13st 6.8lbs

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that the protein level needs to be matched to your current lean tissue mass, there are calculators available online. The amount you quote may be alright for you, but would be too low for mw even though I am also on a 1200cal diet. I eat around 100 g carbs on average and split the rest evenly between fat and protein. I'm losing around 2lb a week at the moment

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
Hi Foxglove.

Low carbs are definitely the way to go....

Cut out the bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, in fact anything with flour in it...of course sweets cakes and biscuits go without saying....

Eating a much lower carb` diet will keep you feeling so much better...far less bloated and sluggish and you will lose weight..

Make WAR on carbs...I started on 20 per day for about 2 to 3 weeks...then gradually increased to 30 for about a week then to 40 for a week and so on... I have lost 2 stone so far and feel well...I walk fast-ish for about 30 minutes daily and drink 3 x pints of water a day.

Are you on tablets? . if so, you will need to consult your doctor, your blood glucose could get to low on a low carb diet with tablets, so beware...but if you are prepared to go on the low amount of carbs.....talk to your doctor (Not usually their way of thinking)

Let me know what you do....

Regards

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry.. made a mistake that should read protein 145!
However, I do have a problem with keeping up a good level of protein as I do not like a lot of meat and whilst I prefer fish and poultry about 4-5 ounces is all I can eat at one meal. I love cheese but would have thought that is not exactly a healthy option.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thommothebear said:
Sorry cant post the link, but try googling "low carb diet what about protein"...

Thanks..did go to the site you mentioned and found it very helpful.

Sunshine_Kisses

I've just read that as a general rule, anything above 100g of protein, 25% gets converted back into carbs ie can raise blood sugars; just something to bear in mind.

Some (me included) do better on low carb, medium protein, high fat - so you may want to experiment by lowering your protein and upping your fats a little and seeing what your readings are. Either way, your carb goals look great!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the calc I have seen, for my lean body mass weight anything over about 80g of protein will potentially end up being used to produce glucose, so I try and keep it below 80g.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Houseyjojo

I'm new to this site, new to the idea of low carbs but have been type 1 for over 25 years since I was 9 ..........
Things have changed & I'm only recently finding out!!!
I like the idea of low carbs, it seems to make sense......both in keeping BG low & stable as well as losing a bit of weight here & there! I'm generally running high in eve & morning, currently working with diabetic nurse to steady it out, but I know I need to be more strict in what I do & don't eat. So I'm thinking that a low carb diet may be my answer. I can't do 'little', it's all or nothing, so whereas I've also been told I can eat anything I want to as a diabetic as long as its part of a meal & I balance my insuli with it, doesn't do me any favours as I'll eat the whole Choc bar or half pack of biscuits instead of just one; so I won't eat certain foods at all. I can do that. So, low carb meals.
How?
What do you eat?
Do you count fruit as carbs still? Maybe I'm having too much fruit? Banana for breakfast most days, apple & satsuma with lunch, applle with dinner?
What about energy foods before exercise? Or afterwards to keep BG stable?
The why makes sense to me, it's the how that I need help with!!
Motivated but confused!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, fruit is very Carby, bananas are around 30g if I remember right, I too am an all or nothing type of person, I only eat berries for fruit, ie straw black rasp or blue :) you could try them with some natural full fat yogurt for brekkie (I love it) there is an awful lot of carb advice on this site, apples are also high (sucks dosent it) , i have fount the very best food for me before a gym sesh is a flax bar, cant remember exactly what they are called but they have flax in big letters on the front i get them in morrisons, it seems to give me the most energy without feeling sick like other foods i have tried, have a read good luck

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Changed my protein total to 90 although as I already said if I get to about 70 that's about it.

Took me a long while to figure out that berries are the best. Used to eat a banana or two every day which soon piles on the carbs.

Delish bacon and egg for breakfast is a must when I am able.
Beginning to get the hang of this.. :lol:

Houseyjojo

Thanks Andy & Foxglove. Need to change my shopping habbits in the fruit aisle! I've had those flax type bars before, I'll buy a few more.
How do you work out your balance of carbs, proteins etc in terms on grams per day?
Sorry to seem so naive, asking so many questions!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Houseyjojo, I personally have bought about 4 years ago some NUTRISCALES from Lloyds chemist, they cost around £15 and have many functions;
-Weigh food in grams or pounds and ounces.
-Calculate calories, CARBOHYDRATES, protein, fats, saturated fats, cholesterol, sodium
They do this by punching in a number that is corresponding to the food stuff you are weighing (you get a booklet).
As I say I have had them for about 4 years now and use them every day, for me they are a Godsend but many other people have calorie and carbs booklets which they have purchased from Amazon etc.Best of luck, Deb

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hope you are doing well on the low carb front Jojo...
So far I have been able to lose another 14lbs approx. this year which I am delighted about.
..and just a point about the carb calculating... join the "My Fitness Pal" forum where you can enter the food item and it will calculate everything including any other info you want such as calories, fat, sodium, sugars, etc. etc. A great help for anyone who needs this type of info.