Corn Flakes!

Isobel94

Hi all,

Has anybody else been having issues with corn flakes? Is there anything in them I may not be aware of? I read the box and the carb levels seemed on par with what I would usually have in the morning aka two Weetabix with milk. They're the Tesco brand. I had the Kellog's ones before and my levels were fine, but the past couple of mornings I tested my sugars two hours after breakfast and they were in the teens! Before breakfast my sugar levels were within range (one morning was around 7 mmol/l and the next was 5.9 mmol/l)

And I really like corn flakes! :(

Izzy.

Reactions: 2 people

garythegob

Isobel94 said:
Hi all,

Has anybody else been having issues with corn flakes? Is there anything in them I may not be aware of? I read the box and the carb levels seemed on par with what I would usually have in the morning aka two Weetabix with milk. They're the Tesco brand. I had the Kellog's ones before and my levels were fine, but the past couple of mornings I tested my sugars two hours after breakfast and they were in the teens! Before breakfast my sugar levels were within range (one morning was around 7 mmol/l and the next was 5.9 mmol/l)

And I really like corn flakes! :(

Izzy.
how much are you eating, don't forget, the recommended amount is 30g of cornflakes with 125ml of semi skimmed milk

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Isobel94

I'd fill the bowl to about half, and these are smallish bowls, and I would have full fat milk.

The thing is that I had the Kellog's before and was fine... I would just have my 6 units of Novorapid and I would be covered. See I had to have them once because I was staying at an aunt's and that was the plainest thing I saw in the cupboard :p Oh the joys of not having a diabetic in the house...

Perhaps I will trying measuring on a scales but I just don't trust those cornflakes at this stage...

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a cereal I now have to rule out of what I can eat, a few weeks ago I tried some with rice crispies and BS went sky high, was not sure if one or both were the problem. Tonight as the tea I did was uneatable thought I would try a some with the hint of semi skimmed milk, 2 hours later BS is 13.4. :(

This is getting to be a right pain, and starting to get very limiting on what I can and can't eat, my emergency reserve of cereals that I like when tea is a flop has now been wiped off the menu.

H

Hooked

Perhaps the problem is coming from the lack of fibre in the cornflakes, your usual weetabix would contain more fibre and slow down the aborbsion of carbs into your bloodstream.

Isobel94

Hi thank you all for your suggestions

I have figured out that for some reason I have had to increase my insulin dose as I have been having the same problem with the Weetabix as well. I have had to double my insulin dose from 6 units novorapid to 12 units, and that seems to be working well for me now. I was a 9 one hour after my breakfast today, so roughly on target, and I was 4 the morning before one hour after breakfast.

Beats me... seems like I get into a good routine and then something like this happens to completely throw me off... my sites are all good too...

Thanks again,

Izzy.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pav said:
Its a cereal I now have to rule out of what I can eat, a few weeks ago I tried some with rice crispies and BS went sky high, was not sure if one or both were the problem. Tonight as the tea I did was uneatable thought I would try a some with the hint of semi skimmed milk, 2 hours later BS is 13.4. :(

This is getting to be a right pain, and starting to get very limiting on what I can and can't eat, my emergency reserve of cereals that I like when tea is a flop has now been wiped off the menu.

I wish I'd found this post when I got up this morning. I'm newly diagnosed and finding my way through it all. This morning I thought I'd have a bowl of rice crispies with skimmed milk. 90 mins later at work I checked my BS - 14.0. What? Can't be. Second test confirmed it. Down to 6.9 by 13:30 hrs (after lunch) and 5.4 this evening (before tea).

Pop goes the snap and crackle from now on but Weetabix seems OK, so all's not lost.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Netty70 said:
Watch the weetabix for some strange reason they used to send my BS really low and I would have a hypo every time
Good luck

Thanks. Unfortunately, I ended up with a 12 a couple of hours after eating Weetabix this morning, though it went back down to below 6 from mid-morning, onwards.

I'll just have to keep checking what's-causing-what.

Cheers.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tom, how long did toy inject.before eating? Of you had a good level before eating and was 6 after 4ish hours the dose is right, but, timing not. I find especially on the morning having a breakfast like weetabix and toast carbs but very little fat you will get what you experienced. Only for breakfast I now inject 1 hour before eating to match the.insulin peak with the quick absorption rate of the weetabix/milk/toast. 2 hours after injecting (1 hour after eating breakfast) am usually 7~8, without the nasty drop after.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, Brett. I missed your post initially.

I should have made it clearer that I'm T2 so I don't use insulin and was controlling with diet and exercise only. Since Thursday, however, I've been prescribed 1000mg Metformin and I'm now looking to see how I get on with that. Not sure how long it takes to kick in so I'll reserve judgement.

I'm slowly finding out which foods affect me and which don't. As everyone here seems to have discovered, it's a very steep learning curve.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Just my opinion of course but most non insulin dependant diabetics would find cornflakes an unsuitable choice for breakfast-the carb content is similar to that of a mars or snickers bar which I'm sure most diabetics would not eat for breakfast.

LittleWolf

Agreed. Most breakfast cereals are like 60-70g carbs per 100g and send me into the teens. For those of us not on insulin the only thing we can do to fix that is... Just not eat stuff :(

But on the other hand, I cant stand the thought of needles whether I ate or not.

LittleWolf

The more carbs eaten, the more insulin you need and the bigger margin for error there is, am I right? Like of you miscalculate at higher doses needed to cover super carby things the higher the risk of things going south..

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes and no lol, obviously you are right in saying the hightr the dose the more margin of error, but, once ratios are tried and tested and correct, its more of a timing issue. Especially, with bigger meals and also low gi foods the important thing is to inject at the right time so the insulin peaks the same time as the food.