Feelings

Sammeh5678

Morning Erin,

I'm new to this whole forums thing here. I was diagnosed at 17, coping for 3 years now with type 1 and I had so much trouble with problems at every turn. I can't imagine how you coped at that age!

Keep at it :)!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can understand you feeling like that but as u get older it will be totally normal for u to test/inject
In public. Never been a problem for me and not yet had any problems. If people wanna stare/chat about It fine, if they enquire politely about what im doing I will explain politely back, if they were to have attitude with me I think my 9 year old would put then in their place lol. People will stare and chat regardless over anything anyway.

Also, if I ever had a problem with management at a restaurant, I would write their head office, inform local paper and not go back there. Not that I would expect that but there are narrow minded nasty people out there!

My friends and family accept it and thats what matters most.
Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Erinmcdonagh

Yer I understand I always try to think that we don't have diabetes I have a friend but she does not have it (she is also only three) when I always do it she stares in a funny way. I always try to keep my spirt up and ignore them all giggling and staring that's why I rely want the pump which I'm getting this year :)

Barong

Dislikes
hypos, rude, inconsiderate people, bad language.
Hi Erin, you invite me (over 60) to let my feelings out. Here goes. I was diagnosed at your age. At first my parents were very worried, that was my biggest problem then. They fretted and asked, and watched me all the time. Now, of course, I understand them, then I didn't and got cross with them. I must have been a pain! But after over 50 years of diabetes I, I can tell you, it is not as bad as it may appear at first to you and your parents and friends. The best thing my parents did for me then, was to send me to holiday camps with diabetic children. We were all in the same boat, supervised by kind, mainly young doctors and helpers. The injections became a doddle, everyone else had to do the same thing, we laughed and cried together. we did sports, went for outings, had some teaching about how to deal with all this diabetes lark, and it became easy. Try and find out if there are holiday camps like this Do not worry, you will be fine. Keep slim, look after yourself, occasionally have a dough nut, if it makes you happy and then inject 3 units of fast acting insulin. It will be ok. Life is for living, and you will have as good a life as anyone else. If you get the grumps, or feel sad and depressed, remember, that is normal, not necessarily because of your diabetes. It will pass. Just let your feelings out, talk to people, as you have done here, you will feel much better for it. Thanks for inviting me, an oldie, to join this discussion. Good luck in all you do, you're on the right way.

Erinmcdonagh

Thanks for replying I am always thinking that I have not got diabetes I like it wen I can talk to young people and older people as well . Most of my friends don't have diabetes so it is hard :/

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erinmcdonagh said:
Heya. I'm 9 years old and I am type one . Any one can reply even if your 20 to 60 everyone just let your feelings out
Erin x

Hey Erin,

I'm 18, have had diabetes since I was about your age :) It's hard when you're young, as I'm sure you know.. I guess it's hard when you're older too, but I just try to remember everything people say about the importance of keeping in control.

By the way, I like your dogs! I have Border Terriers and they look like one of your dogs!

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Erin you so brave I can't imagine how hard it is to take it all in at your age ,I was 63 when diagnosed in march and was pretty angry I have now come to terms with my type 2 and will not let it beat me. I hope you manage to stay in control of your diabetes , Good Luck take care

Isobel94

Hi Erin,

I was six too when I got diabetes, and now I'm 18. Like Mickey said, you are so brave. You sound like you're doing well.

I think that diabetes isn't a barrel of laughs at the best of times however it made me more aware of my health and the importance of looking after myself. So although other kids might point and stare and laugh you're probably healthier than them as you avoid all that chocolate gunk, out of having to. Diabetes is a part of you and they can take a hike! ;) I bet they wouldn't be as brave as you are.

I know it's difficult when all your friends don't have it and you can feel left out, but all my close friends are non-diabetic. I bet if you explained to them what was involved they'd be fairly impressed how you manage to deal with it every day.

Have fun!

Izzy.

Isobel94

Hi Jay,

I've had people look at me funny on occasion when taking my insulin, but it's just something you have to do. I'd like to try and see them deal with diabetes.

You're not an alien, you're a human being who just happens to be diabetic. Don't pay attention to the gawkers, they're not worth your time. Looking after yourself is way more important! Just ignore people who stare at you and whisper, if they think it's strange that you have to inject yourself and do blood tests then that's their problem, not yours, because all you're doing is taking care of your health! :thumbup:

Hope this helps,

Izzy.

Jamescoffee

Hi Erin

My name is James and I have just found out that I have T1 diabetes. I never really found it awkward or weird to test/inject in public. One of the ways I got around feeling different around my friends is by making it into a game. Whenever I go to test my blood Shuger we all try and guess what it will be before I test and whoever is closest wins. All my friends think i am like a supper star or something like that. But anyways of you still feel different I would recommend trying to think of something like that. If you ever want someone to chat to just send me a message

James

Erinmcdonagh

Thx James I always try and do games I have been diabetic 3 years now and it is hard but it gets better . I play that game 2 and my friends think I'm brilliant at it .
I will try to keep my head high and get on with it and thx I will probs pm u
Erin x