Public

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello is it only me that hates doing injections in public because when ever I am pricking my finger or doing my injection everyone always give me funny looks, it like they don't know what I am doing it like they think I am taking drug or something and sometimes they walk past then they start talking about it, what can I do?
Chloe x

Chloe x

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Public

Yeah that's what I do I find a quiet place and turn away but people still see me and walk away talking about it and giving me dirty looks
Chloe x

Chloe x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

You'll just have to get used to it unfortunately. Joe Public are a curious lot and stare and talk about things they don't have any knowledge about. I think it's just human nature and ignorance about diabetes rather than people judging you. Just ignore it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

On yeah I wish I could, everything get to me easy it hard to ignore it

Chloe x

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

No cuz if someone touches me when doing it then I can't do it so that not work for me

Chloe x

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Why worry? Just get on with it if it's necessary.

qbix

It must be hard. When I was diagnosed I was not going to inject in front of my kids, but my wife said I should. I am glad I did, it makes things much easier. It is harder when you are younger and much more sensitive to such things, but as I am older and don't care I inject and test in public all the time. Ultimately you have to do what makes you feel comfortable. I realise it is difficult to do, bit if you can realise that it is their problem and not yours and that some people are just curious then that might help.

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeah but some people walk past shouting she a druggy then everyone looks at me it doesn't help when I hate having diabetes cuz of my past about it nothing will help for me

Chloe x

andywright

Think most people are more aware about diabetes these days. Yes there are some idiots about but you'll find that most of the people around you realise the "idiot" is the one shouting "druggy" not the person doing the insulin injection :D

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

No they don't know about diabetics where I live no one really know about it until they have it there selfs

Chloe x

qbix

Sorry you feel like that. I know how you feel. I was singled out for being different at school and was told I was weird. I still am today (I'm now 36). It is so easy to say to you that things will get better and that you shouldn't try to fit into what other people think you should be and you should always be true to your self, but I understand how important things like that are to you at the moment. Just remember that this forum is full of people that will have been through and are going through similar things to you and we will try and sympathise and he there for you when you need us. Try and find someone you can talk to about it. There is a diabetes care line number you can call if you don't have a friend to talk to. They are supposed to be able to put you in contact with someone of a similar age to you that you can talk to.

jfyie123

I've just made sure that my friends know and understand what im doing when im in public and tried not to worry what others think. I know its not as easy as it sounds but its helps when you think that you'll never see/hear from those people again

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

I can't talk to anyone about it as I brake down crying when I talk about diabetes to people so that not go to plan but thanks

Chloe x

jfyie123

Oh right :/ well I hope you can come to terms with it soon! It sometimes seems like its the end of the world but as long as your careful you can still have a normal and great life! :)

Aaronsmum

Hi chole reading your posts just brakes my heart. When people stare or say things just tell them to look type 1 diabetes online and ignore them my son was diagnosed a week ago and he's the only person in his school with it and he don't care coz he says it makes him unique
Keep strong x

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

I had it since I was 5 and I still not got over the fact I have got it, it doesn't help when I got laughed at in year 8 cuz people went round saying I not got it, I cry all the time when I have to bring it up, I find it hard someways

Chloe x