Had enough!!

linsay

Ive had this accu chek pump for 5 days now. I am done with it. I have been up all night with it beeping then the handset beeping. Sugars at 19. Obviously something wrong. Changed every thing at 5am. Does this get easier because im so close to handing it back. Anyone else feel like this? I know its early days but really. Im knackered.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Switch2501

Re: Had enough!!

Stick with it. It can be tricky when you're first starting out but once things settle down you'll really start to see the benefits.

I had the same thing the first night I had my pump. Had to do a set change due to a "no delivery" message on my pump (Medtronic).
Scared the **** outa me (at 1 in the morning)

Yes it does occasionally happen but I'm happier knowing I can now eat what I want when I want cos I have that freedom.

Stick with it!

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

Yes stick with it, it does get easier. The first week or two that I had my pump I was up and down like a yo-yo but then I found the right basals and got used to set changes and how to recognise if there was a problem etc. I often inject when I'm very high as the insulin gets into your system quicker. Just obviously be careful, you don't want to induce a hypo.
Thinking of you, keep strong, it will get easier x

iHs

You are definately not on your own.

Occlusions are worrying to say the least and Ive had them in the middle of the night and during the day, but usually there's a reason for them, sometimes its the tube being bent in the wrong direction, sometimes the cannula plays up and sometimes its the cartridge and the way it has been filled and a vacuum of air has gone in preventing insulin from being pumped.

Like Faith, I always, always carry some insulin with me in a pen so that if ever an occlusion happens while I am out, I can do a bg test and do a correction using my pen and just put the pump into stop mode until I get home or get somewhere so that I can change the set and put on a new tube.

Does it all get easier..... well yes it does once you learn not to panick and take it all in your stride. The first 12-15 months are 'the learning time' as you learn to deal with all the 'ups and downs' and get your basal rates ok.

linsay

Thanks guys. So now i am just awake its 11.30 as been up all night. Bs is 10.1 a bit high i know but better than earlier. Yeah i did actually take an injection eventually. This is silly but i was a bit scared as i was taking the insulin and bs was going up and up. I was really careful about air bubbles but maybe not good enough. Anyway got new everything on so heres hoping its ok now. Thank you all for your help.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have been in your situation. it was so difficult at the beginning. I remember I rang my diabetic doctor and said I had enough of spending nights without sleeping. My blood sugar readings started to be high every night after midnight going from 12 reaching some nights 24.
A suggestion: change your infusion set in the morning so if there's a problem you'll face it during the day not in the night.
Now I would never come back to insulin pens!
Don't give up. You'll soon appreciate all the benefits.

linsay

Thanks. I am 6.5 at moment hopefullt should only be up twice to test tonight. Thanks stefano i have only changed twice ever. I only changed today as i had tried everything else. Im not sure why it would suddenly have a prob? I looked for air and checked the sight. I just want this to work. Aaargh!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

hi, please stick with it as in the long run it will be really useful and easy to do temp basal rates for unexpected activity or if been too high or low etc. down side is initially alot of hard work to begin with. As soon as poss, do your fasting tests for all periods for night and day, but only one meal per 24 hours. This will help get your hourly basal rates correct for a 24 hour period. Once that is done much easier to get your meal ratios correct to programme into your monitor. Good luck

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

iHs

linsay said:
Thanks. I am 6.5 at moment hopefullt should only be up twice to test tonight. Thanks stefano i have only changed twice ever. I only changed today as i had tried everything else. Im not sure why it would suddenly have a prob? I looked for air and checked the sight. I just want this to work. Aaargh!

Hi

If you can position the pump so that its diagonal or upright, the tube connection should be at the bottom and any air bubbles in the cartridge will just go the other end and not down the tube. You can just take the cartridge out when the pump gets down to 5u so that the air bubble wont get pumped through the tube. Ive always found that a large bubble just stays in the cartridge anyway.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Don't give up!!! I had a horrendous start on the pump and felt just the same as you. I'd booked a holiday with my hubby before I knew I'd be getting the pump and I remember being so high and confused. I spent my holiday crying and saying I wanted to quit pumping.

It took me a while to get everything straight but I promised myself I'd stick at it for 6 months no matter what and I'm SO glad I did. It's changed my life and I wouldn't be without it. Everyone on here is amazing and they always supported me and helped me with any issues. Anytime you are worried/stressed/unsure post on here and we will all help you :)

linsay

Thank you guys. Iv wakened to test so 12midnight 6.5, 3am-14.8, 4am- 17.2 ????? I know i have dawn phenomenon but really? Ive put a temp rate on and also corrected. This happened yest thats when i changed everything. Thanks i have now got the tubing at bottom. Obviously i need to see the hosp team. Its a hol so will get them tuesday. Thank you all very much great forum and ppl.

iHs

linsay said:
Thank you guys. Iv wakened to test so 12midnight 6.5, 3am-14.8, 4am- 17.2 ????? I know i have dawn phenomenon but really? Ive put a temp rate on and also corrected. This happened yest thats when i changed everything. Thanks i have now got the tubing at bottom. Obviously i need to see the hosp team. Its a hol so will get them tuesday. Thank you all very much great forum and ppl.

linsey

Youve probably been started off using the same basal rate for every hour and now your body is changing its need.
Looks like you have got to increase your basal rates between midnight and 3am as youve risen to double what you were.
Look in the pump manual as it will show you how to go about altering the basal rates otherwise you will be forever doing corrections and using a temp basal rate. Justjay posted a msg a while ago about high bg levels and asked what to do. I think he sorted himself out so have a read. Have you got the book pumping insulin only there's info in there on how much to increase the basal rates up by according to what bg level you are.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Linsay, it looks like your basal needs are similar to mine, as my bg had a spike starting after 1am.
To my surprise between midnight and 4am is when I need more basal per hour. Starting to increase from 11pm.
To understand how to increase my basal I bought a book from amazon called 'pumping insulin' from John Walsh. It gave me a lot of suggestions on how many hours before the spike I should start increasing my basal.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking

Hi. Yup a bi scarey to start off with. Like you whe I first received the 'occulsion' message I was scared witless but deep breathing and a wee bit of logic and I managed to sort things out. However, I did phone Accuchek a few times out of hours and must say they have been brilliant. Hopefully you will stick with it, but do empathise with you, its scary.

Switch2501

I'm glad things are starting to make a bit of sense for you!
If you're ever unsure of what you need to do, give your hospital team a ring just to double check.

The team up here are really helpful and I can get hold of them fairly quickly if I need to.

Good luck!

linsay

Well i dont want to jinx it but bs been between 5 and 7.2 today!! So happy. Still struggling with the night time ones but im seeing the team at the hospital tomorrow so hopefully sort that out a bit. Yes they are great always just a phonecall away. I think everyone is right will be worth it in the end. Thanks folks.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking

Hi. AS I say do emphasise. I was at a pump class yesterday and the Roche rep was there and would you believe some people were asking about the 'occlusion' problem. It would appear that the Accucheck Combo is one of the most sensitive models made and therefore does tend to beep at the slightest hint of a blockage which in a way can be irritating but in another way can be reassuring, Hope this helps

fahmad143

I have been on the pump for just over a month and it does seem quite tricky. I have had diabetes for 23 years now and have tried to keep it under control. I started on the pump due to an increase level of hypos of which I wasnt aware of any symptoms. Being on the pump has given me control. Yet at the moment I cant say if its better for me or not. My sugars tend to be erractic regularly. It takes time for my body to get use to the insulin so every time I now insert a pump, I find my sugars high for a few hours. Things like exercise and swimming have proved slightly difficult. Although not to bad. Also partaking in any kind of sexual activity can be slightly awkward and uncomfortable.
However the pump has allowed me freedom to eat what I want and when I want. If my sugars can be more controlled it really is an easier way of life for a diabetic. You have so much control over what you do and how you do it. This can be tricky for those with little confidence. However I will keep at it and see if it improves.