DIABETIC FOODS

mpe

controller said:
I am not a cook but I do like good nutritious food!

In which case your options would appear to be
a) buy what fits your criteria from what is available for sale.
b) learn to cook.
c) pay someone to cook for you.

I am saying that good, nutritious diabetic foods should be made available to those who CHOOSE to use such foods.

There's huge variation in what people consider "good nutritious food". Regardless of if they are diabetic or not.
Such foods (other than basic ingredients) are likely to not fit well with the business models of supermarkets or chain restaurants. Which tends to be more selling what most people will buy for the most markup.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
controller said:
We know what diabetic food should be and it is not "rocket science."

When you say "We" can you not include me in that. I can cook but am still learning what foods do what and in what combination.

controller

Certainly!

I used the word "we" on the basis of someone exercising their power of choice. It is as simple as that. Similarly diabetic food should be simple, legal and nutritious.

controller said:
Diabetic food should be cheaper since that expensive ingredient SUGAR, would not be there to increase your BGL. Why should diabetic food be excluded from diabetics?
hmm this is a very much nice info thanks for sharing such a nice...i think it should be share around the web dude. :clap:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
karachifoods 88
Sugar is CHEAP! that's why it gets added to everything.
i personally can't see why a savoury canned soup needs sugar, but many have it.
Hana

A

Anonymous

hanadr said:
karachifoods 88
Sugar is CHEAP! that's why it gets added to everything.
i personally can't see why a savoury canned soup needs sugar, but many have it.
Hana

Nice subtle 'ad' at the top. Site doesn't look at all diabetic-friendly to me, except, perhaps, the soup with swirls of chocolate?! Not to mention macaroni, spaghetti, pizza, pasta, and byrianis!

I don't think that 'savoury' and sugar-free' mean the same thing (e.g. tamarind and sugar are often used as a combination). I eat fresh meat, fruit, veg and diary products only and haven't bothered looking for any diabetic versions of any of these. Why on earth are you eating tinned soup!! You can knock up a soup in minutes with fresh veg. etc. and make sure you only serve yourself a 'tinful' if that matters to you. You can even increase the liquid content and reduce the veg. content if you wish.

I think you have answered your own question by implying that you want to be able to eat 'packaged' or 'tinned' food. These have to pander to the masses, profits, storage life etc ... it's called business. I believe that sugar and salt have a subliminal effect on us. When I crave chocolate, it's because I have 'learned' that it can seemingly 'satisfy' me.... why don't I grab an apple which has the same effect only slower? In fact, I do usually. Likewise, fish & chips, potatoes, rice, or pasta with salt. I never add salt to these but I'm willing to bet that many people wouldn't touch my food with a bargepole.... good... 'cos it's all mine! :twisted:

I have observed people in restaurants who, on delivery of their meal, immediately pick up and empty the salt cellar BEFORE they have even tasted the food. Then they must have a sugary dessert (whoever invented this?).

A sugar-free, salt-free McDonalds would taste even more like a roadkill than it does already, and very few would buy one. I rest my case.

Sammeh5678

I find that diabetic foods are yes, better for diabetics BUT, for an example Thorntons Diabetic Chocolate is lovely and is made for diabetics however the sheer amount of E-numbers, preservatives and additions are disgusting! After talking to my diabetic nutrition advisor she said just eat normal foods but try to get "healthier", less salt & sugar foods.

So just to conclude, get normal foods just enjoy in moderation.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

controller

Please also check the the ingredients / additions declared on the labels for "standard foods" e.g. Thorntons "normal" choclates and compare the listings with "diabetic" choclates.

May I also remind you that sugar, salt and fat additions are not necessary. They are use by food manufacturers to cater for "normal" people not for diabetics. These harmful additives are made solely for profit.

Removal of those harmful ingredients from foods for diabetics is not rocket science. I know because I have been involved with the food industry.

A

Anonymous

Sammeh5678 said:
I find that diabetic foods are yes, better for diabetics BUT, for an example Thorntons Diabetic Chocolate is lovely and is made for diabetics however the sheer amount of E-numbers, preservatives and additions are disgusting! After talking to my diabetic nutrition advisor she said just eat normal foods but try to get "healthier", less salt & sugar foods.

So just to conclude, get normal foods just enjoy in moderation.

That's just what I do. My carb intake is very roughly 250g per day according to the 'charts'. This must be lower than what I was having as my bGs are within the target range and I am losing weight. I measure average daily/weekly bGs and trends, based on fasting & post-evening meal (always the worst meal of the day), which are running at 5.9. This means I am having a mixture of good meals and bad meals since some evening meals are over 7.0. However, subject to my upcoming HbA1C test, I am confident that I am avoiding 'persistent high glucose' from which complications may arise (persistently above 7.0 when fasting, above 11.0 post-meals), which is I believe is the aim of managing the condition.

Finzi

Jay Jay 34 said:
No one should ever eat diabetic chocolate I've heard it really bad gives you diharea and illness

That's probably over-dramatic. Some people get diarrhea from excessive intake of polypols - some don't. On the other hand, for those that don't, it probably means they are able to digest the polypols and risk a raise in blood sugar! However, IF by having an occasional treat of Thorntons diabetic chocolate, it means people are going to find it easier to resist Cadbury's, then maybe it's worth it. I don't get side effects from diabetic chocolate but that's because I only have a small amount occasionally. That works well for me (by a small amount occasionally, I mean that I might have one Thorntons chocolate every few days.

Edited to add that I find most diabetic chocolate revolting, but Thorntons relatively ok, especially their chocolate fudge and chocolate mint truffles.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

tomalter26

My aunty has diabetic problem.My grand mom always suggest her home remedies to control over diabetes.For vegetarian people, Adding Bitter gourd in your daily meal is more beneficial rather than taking medicines.You can also prefer kidney beans that provide better nutrition.People who like to take non vegetarian products can eat Salmon,But stay away from the breaded and deep fat fried food.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
tomalter26 said:
For vegetarian people, Adding Bitter gourd in your daily meal is more beneficial rather than taking medicines.
I'll tell that to my vegetarian,T1 colleague then :thumbdown:
Herbalism has it's place, but cannot compensate for ignorance in diabetic types) :oops:

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
tomalter26 said:
My aunty has diabetic problem.My grand mom always suggest her home remedies to control over diabetes.For vegetarian people, Adding Bitter gourd in your daily meal is more beneficial rather than taking medicines.You can also prefer kidney beans that provide better nutrition.People who like to take non vegetarian products can eat Salmon,But stay away from the breaded and deep fat fried food.
I'll be more direct than Fergus: the above comment is dangerous rubbish; if it wasn't about such a serious topic it would be simply laughable. Fortunately, the vast majority of readers will recognise it for what it is, so it's not likely to cause any harm.

A

Anonymous

Finzi said:
Jay Jay 34 said:
No one should ever eat diabetic chocolate I've heard it really bad gives you diharea and illness

That's probably over-dramatic. Some people get diarrhea from excessive intake of polypols - some don't. On the other hand, for those that don't, it probably means they are able to digest the polypols and risk a raise in blood sugar! However, IF by having an occasional treat of Thorntons diabetic chocolate, it means people are going to find it easier to resist Cadbury's, then maybe it's worth it. I don't get side effects from diabetic chocolate but that's because I only have a small amount occasionally. That works well for me (by a small amount occasionally, I mean that I might have one Thorntons chocolate every few days.

Edited to add that I find most diabetic chocolate revolting, but Thorntons relatively ok, especially their chocolate fudge and chocolate mint truffles.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

If you think diabetic chocolate has that effect, try a week in Egypt ... and don't pay for three days diving in advance (nearly said three days on the trot but thought better). 8)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic chocolate? I would rather eat Pizza and watch The Fly. Gross.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I have diabetic chocolate and if you eat 2 to 3 squares then there is no problem its when you eat the lot in one go that is when you are stuck on the throne, also sugar free sweets do the same but again limit yourself to 2 or 3 and again no problems.

A

Anonymous

destiny0321 said:
I have diabetic chocolate and if you eat 2 to 3 squares then there is no problem its when you eat the lot in one go that is when you are stuck on the throne, also sugar free sweets do the same but again limit yourself to 2 or 3 and again no problems.

Sounds like a good way to lose weight (temporarily at least)!

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.