Public

qbix

Re: Public

That must be immensely isolating. I am so sorry you feel like that. As I mentioned in a previous post there is a diabetes Caroline you can call. This is a link to the page

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Careline/

And the number is

0845 120 2960

They are open 9 to 5 and are staffed by counsellors who know all about diabetes. It sounds like you need to give them a call. It is really important you look after you emotional and physical wellbeing. Please give them a call. It at the very least speak to your GP about it. They might be able to refer you to someone who can help.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Aaronsmum

That's heartbreaking my son is 10 and knows I'm always there for him to talk to. Also he knows I'll support him every step of the way and any problems at school I will kick off and get it sorted as I won't have him isolated. Where abouts are from? X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Chloemoore16 said:
Yeah but some people walk past shouting she a druggy then everyone looks at me it doesn't help when I hate having diabetes cuz of my past about it nothing will help for me

Chloe x

Hi Chloe I am an older person and had type 1 for 24 years. No its not easy to do. When my DD and I are out and about I tend to go for a quiet spot if I can, or my DD will sit in front of me or I will put the rucksack in front or to the side. I feel its such a personal thing to do in public, its not like like blowing your nose or putting an inhaler to your mouth. Finger pricking no problem, the injections well I tend to be a 'not in your face' person and try to do it discreetly.

Anyone who says, if you have to do it then get on and do it, just ignore :roll: We all to do it, its something we fellow type 1's have to do, there are lots of things we would rather not do. Have you thought of writing a dairy, get all those negative feelings out onto paper, it could help.
At the end of the day it's no bodies business but yours.

You are in my thoughts and I hope you find something that helps you. Sending you big (((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Good luck and take care RRB :)

Mr Happy

Chloe, if your parents are so uncommunicative about diabetes try directing them here (change your name if needs be). If they understood how difficult it is for us grown ups (not being patronising) they may get a feel for how it might be for a teenage girl with all of lifes other worries.

My two boys are autistic and I try and help and support the best I can as a parent. However, I don't live with it like they do, can't fully appreciate what scares the beejesus out of them. I hope to god that they would feel comfortable enough to talk to me and it would kill me to know that they were perhaps suffering in silence like you are.

Try and trust your parents and friends, you may cry, it may be hard, seem like you're whinging about small things but once you've got it out once it should get easier. At some point in life everybody needs help, please don't be scared to ask for it!

jayne15

Chloe we live in St.Helens Meg my daughter is nearly 8 diagnosed 6 months ago if you need someone to talk to we are not far away from you- Meg injects in public and is loud and proud- you have nothing to be ashamed about- we are here for you and will listen and support you if you need to talk.

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks all of u 3 just message me anytime I don't mind

Chloe x

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.

Dear Chloe,

I've had diabetes since the age of 5 and like you had to put up with a lot of nonsense during my school years, but at the end of the day I took the view that it was non one else's business other than my own. I often check my sugars without much trouble now, and still take a quick 5min break to visit the 'gents' to get my insulin injection done. It's not a problem that way. Occasionally on the train when I am very high and have to take some extra insulin I just take it if someone stares I look at them and smile. Then they feel guilty about staring in the first place!

It's odd but thinking of it turns out that after all these years I am technically speaking (other than the diabetes) in better shape and much healthier than all those kids who were making fun of me at school! So now I have a silent happy smile about that :)

Just don't let it bother you, if ppl are 'funny' about it, it is their problem not yours you are looking after yourself that's what ultimately counts the rest is just irrelevant.

Frankie

faeoj

what I find is easier is to go somewhere like mcdonalds or somewhere that has tables find I spot where there is not many people and use the table as a sort of cover to inject into your stomach! or tbh just do it the more you show your not really bothered what they think the sooner they will move on and forget about it

Louiseh19

Hey ya I feel da same way wenever I take my insulin n public my cousins start shouting druggy nd stuff like Louise stop doing heroin in public I hate it bt if I say anything or tell dem stop dey take da **** outa me

Cal-Oddy

Hey Chloe, Im Cal, 15, and I've only been diabetic since July I think, and when had to inject in front of my friends they were all really supportive and kind, but I could see they were still a bit like "err" and in public people do look, and the thing is we are genetically hardwired to be put off by someone "different", the whole natural selection thing, its complicated but diabetes is such common thing that people are beginning to accepted. When you have to prick or inject in public think of this, "I don't have diabetes, I'm diabetic, its not something I have but something I am, and if people cant accept that then frankly they are not nice people are they..." Be confident Chloe, and that nagging really will soon go away :D