Diabetic Jam

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am aware that a lot of people say to avoid diabetic food, as it doesnt offer you anything. However I was wondering what people thought of diabetic jam? I think the make was Sutra and it is sold at the chemist. It seemed to just be sugar free and much better than the reduced sugar stuff in the supermarkets, ingrediants wise.

Has anyone tried this? Do you think it is worth trying?

Thanks

Claire
:)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Claire,

You need to look closely at the contents list and food values on the back of the jar. Some manufacturers legally get away with claiming "no sugar" when they have simply substituted fructose for sugar (sucrose). Fructose has exactly the same glucose content as sucrose so is no better for you than full-sugar jam would have been.

Ebenezer

A tea spoon of jam will contribute less glucose than the bread you spread it on. I substitute apple sauce (10-20% sugar) & cranberry sauce (38%)if I am feeling virtuous for spreading on bread & flavouring yoghurt.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Good point Ebenezer, and I should think a mix of two thirds apple sauce and one third cranberry sauce would make a pretty tasty spread on a slice of toast.

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clarissa</i>
<br />I am aware that a lot of people say to avoid diabetic food, as it doesnt offer you anything. However I was wondering what people thought of diabetic jam? I think the make was Sutra and it is sold at the chemist. It seemed to just be sugar free and much better than the reduced sugar stuff in the supermarkets, ingrediants wise.

Has anyone tried this? Do you think it is worth trying?

Thanks

Claire
:)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Claire

I was shopping in Lidl at the weekend. They have a new range of "Linesse" products which are low fat etc etc. There was a jam in several flavours which claims to have 30g per 100g of total sugars inc Fructose. I think that's lower than I've seen elsewhere, but I don't eat jam.... so I'm usually not bothered. It was just that I was aware of the conversation re: Jam here and elsewhere.

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for that Patti. We do have a lidl so I might have a look. I dont use it that often, but just thought I would ask after seeing it in the chemist.

Speaking of the elsewhere forum, are you still able to get on it? I seem to be having trouble accessing it.

Claire

chocoholic

I buy the Dalfour range of jams, they use fruit juice to sweeten their products instead of sugar or sweeteners and have a huge range to choose from.About £1.20 a jar I think.

Mandarin

Square one
It would be helpful if you gave nutritional information on your products then carb counters would be able to make an informed decision as to whether these products are as good as they look especially as you state that they are suitable for diabetics and those following the atkins diet.

square one

Hi there.

If you click on the "more" button on our products, many have been updated with ingredients and nutritional information.

<b>Orange Marmalade:
</b>
Nutritional Information per 100g

Enegry 270kj/509 kcal
Protein 0.6g
Carbohydrate 32g
of which sugars 32g
Fat 0.1g
of which saturates 0.0g
Dietary Firbe 0.9g
Sodium 0.0g

Ingredients:
Sweet Orange Pulp, Bitter Orange Pulp, White G r a p e, Juice Concentrate, gellling agent: natural fruit pectin, citric acid.

Prepared with 40g fruit per 100g

<b>Strawberry Preserve:</b>

Nutritional Information per 100g

Enegry 218kj/510 kcal
Protein 0.5g
Carbohydrate 33g
of which sugars 33g
Fat 0.1g
of which saturates 0.0g
Dietary Firbe 0.7g
Sodium 0.0g

Ingredients:

Strawberries, White G r a p e, Juice Concentrate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Gelling Agent: Natural Fruit Pectin.

Prepared with 62g fruit per 100g

Kind Regards

Kevin & Vanessa Challis
Square One Bistro
http://www.squareonebistro.co.uk

John418

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The thought of the cold gray weather in the UK
Does anyone know how to make diabetic marmalade. I live in Spain an am surrounded my Oranges