Airplanes

delphi

Travel question. Can you take on your blood testing kit ( Accucheck Aviva ) onto a plane in hand baggage - to me it seems yes, but don't want the fuss and bother at the airport should we be wrong. Thanks. :?:

Biker Jimbo

I have never encountered any problems while travelling and passing through the various controls. I carry all my medication in hand luggage, including test kit. I also carry my 'diabetes' letter but have never been asked for it. No one has commented to me about items in my bag. As long as you are prepared for any questions you should be OK. Obviously you cannot take through sugary drink but I always carry jelly babies should I get hypo. ( I never have at an airport...yet). Happy travels.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
I have taken blood testing equipment and insulin pens on flights and never had any problems apart from one time.

I had hand luggage only so just a small suitcase. I'd put my night time insulin pen in the inside pocket of the case. I was flying from France to England and they queried what was in the suitcase. They actually pointed out the 'object' to me on the scan and asked what it was. I don't know if they saw what I saw but it looked EXACTLY like a kitchen knife! I was so shocked I had no idea what it was and then the airport control guy said "are you a diabetic? Is it insulin?". Phew! They wouldn't let me on the plane until they'd checked with the captain that he was happy for me to have insulin on the plane but it was all ok and they didn't want to see the inside of my suitcase or anything. This was about 10 years ago - after 9/11.

Since then I carry a letter from my GP which states I need to carry diabetes related equipment and needles with me but I've never been questioned again.

pippaandben

The important thing is to have the Dr letter stating you are diabetic and injecting insulin. I put all my diabetic goods in one small shoulder bag - spare pens in hold. Most airlines allow you to carry an extra hand luggage bag for medical purposes. Most also have a sharps bin on board but I use a clipper - it takes 1500 needles and my holidays don't last that long :lol:

No problem taking all medicines, needles etc on an airplane. having the letter from the doc as a backup
Don't ever put insulin in the hold it gets too cold and can affect your pens and insulin

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've traveled a number of times inside Europe. The worst I had was in Malta they asked for the letter and it was quickly forgotten about. I always tell them at check in I'm carrying insulin and again at security.

Going to Croatia soon first time outside the EU we shall see how it goes.

But dieabeties is so common these days I'm sure they see it hundreds of times a day

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

xorsyst

I always carry insulin etc in hand luggage, and rarely even bother mentioning it beyond the check in desk. A couple of times security has queried what it was on the scanner, but it's never been an issue.

I don't carry a doctor's letter - I've got an "Insulin user's ID card" from Diabetes UK that I've had for 10+ years now. Looks nice and official.

My only 1 time I had any real concern was coming back to the UK 4 days after 9/11, when security was jumpy. But after a quick chat they were happy enough.