Is anyone else sensitive to metformin and sitagliptin?

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
I tried Metformin when the docs realised that I was never going to manage with diet control - no willpower. Felt awful when I was taking it, as if someone had taken my head off, and given me someone else's, and it didn't fit! Couldn't cope at all, so then tried glimepiride, but my love of sweet things kept my sugar levels high, and whenever I tried to take control, and do what I was told, I felt so ill that two years ago I decided I didn't want to be diabetic any more, so stopped my meds, ate what I wanted, and felt great. Until two weeks ago, when an infection in my big toe lead to an emergency amputation, and going on to insulin, Novrapid 3x daily, and Lantus at night. Moral of the story, don't ignore your diabetes, keep changing meds until you find something that works, and stick with it - even if it means insulin. The injections are easy enough to manage, and although I have a lot to learn, I feel better already, and more positive about the future than I have for a long time.

theonlysbf

"Thrush" if you don't get your BG under control Sitagliptin will kindly assist with this, all the other side effects just go away as your body controls the reactions to the drugs, some are quite odd for a while, but in my limited experience they went away after a few weeks.
The only drug group that wiped the floor with me was Statins I tried them all. I decided its no use taking a drug that would not let you get out of bed, need to work need to pay the mortgage, this lot in government certainly is not going to help me.

ViolaBow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have only ever had one METFORMIN tablet and was so violently ill the entire night, they just kept me on insulin which is what they immediately put me on anyway. I will never take that tablet again. It was evil for me! I have chronic pancreatitis and am on a mixture of many medications so it could also be interactions.

rowan460

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last time I went for my check up (6.6% after the xmas period!) I was prescribed Metformin. Had awful stomach. Tried the slow release and suffered too - reminded me of being on chemotherapy 30years ago - seemed to take the lining off my stomach. I've started on the Carbs & Cals dieting and postponed my next checkup to see if I can reduce levels with controlled diet (became uncontrolled after 6years!). Already I've lost 5kg and cholesterol has come down to 3.1 along with tryglicerides down to acceptable levels - only hope HbA1c responds too. I expect one day I'll have to be prescribed tablets but recent experiences has pulled me up sharp and I'm trying to behave myself. Are there alternatives to Metformin?

helen777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems that most GP's see metformin as the best thing since sliced bread for almost all type 2's.

I reacted to metformin, metformin slow release, acarbose, and gliclazide. The GP gave up and sent me to consultant at hospital. I was then put on glimipiride which I have been able to tolerate the lowdose of 1mg but when tried to increase to 2mg suffered chronic headachesso was reduced back to 1mg and sitigliptin introduced. Am now waiting for next hba1c to be done at end of June.

We're all different!!

Toleration of medication is an individual thing and all the medical people need to listen, acknowledge and teat us as individuals with individual needs.

You must speak up about any side effects or there will never be any change in the medical worlds attitude

teagan

Hi i cannot tolerate either type of Metformin going to the loo 15 plus times a day not being able to leave the house, i tried each type for 6 weeks, for 3 months life was hell, i am trying diet only seems to be working i test once a day 2 hours after meals last HBAc1 was 6.5 [have to buy my own strips Supercheck2 a reasonable price £8.49 for 50 ] Metformin does not suit everyone

Pedro Pete

Good day
I am new to Diabetics only 4 weeks ( I was on the other type full strength 2 a day and not far I can travel from the white Elephant.
The DR put me on The SR at one a day but now on 4 a day and upset stomach has become a pain.
can anyone advise on how long before it will settle down or the best thing to eat for Breakfast.
I have no idea what sitagliptin is so I cannot comment
thanks

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I am not on the slow release so it might be a little different but once I got the point about always taking it with food it settled down in a few weeks from memory but was not taking notes so cannot be sure. Sitagliptin I can take with or without food and seems to have effect on my digestion.

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin SR gives me a stomach upset of taken at breakfast.

I take it after the main meal of the day..nw no orobkems. But it makes me slightly sad.

Pedro Pete

Many thanks to all that shows that so called 1 in 10 have problems are not true, maybe the GP ,s who read this will take note
and what stuff to they take for Diabetes ?